Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

'The existential threat of our time': Pelosi elevates climate change
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: 'The existential threat of our time': Pelosi elevates climate change
(01-09-2019 09:12 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  Still holding out hope that it's a hoax? Good luck with that.
And you could make that argument about EVERYTHING scientists are doing in any field. But this is the only area where people suddenly decide that they'd rather believe the CEO of a fossil fuel company than the people actually studying the issue.
Also, if they determined that the Earth is warming, but not due to humans, one would think you'd still want to study it so we'd know what we need to be prepared for and how soon.

But the fallacy is your implicit assumption that CEOs of fossil fuel companies are somehow biased, but "people actually studying the issue" are somehow objective. When the grants for studying the issue presuppose the objective, then nobody is more than a hired hand.

Here's my point. I don't want to spend money on conjecture about whether the average temperature will be 1 degree or 3 degrees warmer in 2120. Where I want the research going is what do we do about it. So far the answer seems to be developed countries take massive hits to your economies, developing countries keep on keeping on, and developed countries make massive transfers of wealth to developing countries. I don't think that works and I don't see WTF it has to so with climate change. And I think that anyone who truly believes that we are staring catastrophe in the face within 100 years should want a better solution.

The interesting thing to me is that the US, despite not being a signatory to Kyoto and bowing out of Paris, has reduced greenhouse gas emissions more in the last decade than many countries who were signatories. They set goals, but they're not going to reach them. There are few exercises more useless than setting goals that you know you cannot and will not attain, followed by congratulating yourself for setting such goals.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2019 04:20 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
01-09-2019 09:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 'The existential threat of our time': Pelosi elevates climate change - Owl 69/70/75 - 01-09-2019 09:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.