Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Engineering at ETSU
Bookmark and Share
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Engineering at ETSU
Correct. The TTU collaboration was a bone thrown to quiet the noise about getting an engineering major at ETSU. Some of the science- and engineering-minded folks at ETSU have wanted an engineering major for *many* decades. This is a loooong story, which I don't have time to go into, and I've forgotten much of the backstory. But I do know it's hurt ETSU's chances to get Ph.D. programs in Chemistry and Physics, altho of course that's far from the only reasons.

More germane and pertinent lately is that schools such as King, Tusculum (they don't have it yet, but would like to go 'there') and Milligan (yes, Milligan!) have started engineering majors.

William B. Greene Engineering at Milligan

Hmmm...…..where do we know *that* name from?

King's collaboration with UT:

King/UT engineering degree(s)

The ETSU/TTU degree is what's considered "general engineering", and opinions differ as to what kind of piece of paper will be more valuable. Really depends on the specific field, I think, but am not qualified to comment on specifics of those pros and cons.

So...…...to summarize, ETSU is, in some fields, running scared. Milligan, King, and Tusculum have been eating small-to-medium-sized pieces of ETSU's lunch in new things they've started, like specifically the MBA programs, nursing, and others. Those three institutions, being smaller and more nimble, and not having to go thru the more rigorous "vetting" process, can get these programs up and running vastly quicker. I would argue at considerable cost of quality, and *could* make some arguments along those lines, but will defer. But think "King med school" as just one way of imagining the rigor, or lack thereof, when such things are planned.

ETSU needs an engineering program, has needed one forever, and likely will continue to need one - because this is the kind of program that is more expensive for the state to run than most, because of the profs, equipment needed, etc. And now will be harder to get because Milligan has already occupied that space.

I'll also add that, imo, ETSU could have leveraged their graduate nursing programs (DNP, PhD, and MSN) better. We could be a regional leader in this area - again imo. But very complicated in terms of funding, leadership (not knocking Wilsie), vision, etc. Easier said than done, and all that.....
08-27-2018 09:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Engineering at ETSU - Buc66 - 08-22-2018, 06:33 PM
RE: Engineering at ETSU - brock20 - 08-22-2018, 07:44 PM
RE: Engineering at ETSU - Sportsman_17 - 08-22-2018, 08:15 PM
RE: Engineering at ETSU - Buc76 - 08-24-2018, 12:14 PM
RE: Engineering at ETSU - posterformerlyknownasthedoctor - 08-27-2018 09:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.