Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting Tweet On ESPN-Plus
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: Interesting Tweet On ESPN-Plus
(08-10-2018 11:13 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(08-10-2018 10:45 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  Every network doesn't need their own streaming service.

Both Netflix and ESPN/Disney would benefit from from offering their content on Netflix's platform in exchange for a price increase. Most people are comfortable using Netflix already but when you start juggling 3-4 different apps it becomes burdensome.

That would be true for a smaller media conglomerate than Disney. Disney has ESPN, Disney (Mouse), Star Wars, Marvel, ABC-TV, and now the Fox catalog. From the Disney offices, what does Netflix really have? Eleventy million subscribers--based, in part, on access to a lot of that Disney content. (Netflix also has an enormous pile of cash in the form of stock price right now.)

Frankly, I was surprised that Disney isn't making Hulu (which they'll now own 60% of) the base of their streaming empire-to-come. The fact that they didn't tells me they don't think that building a streaming service with 100 million US subscribers is that big a lift--it's not worth letting NBC (30%) and Time Warner (10%) have a piece of the pie.

My crystal ball says that we are going to see a mad dash to be the new Netflix (didn't I read that Discovery is looking at bundling their content with content from some other small networks for a subscription service).

Disney ain't gonna lose in the streaming field because they own so much content people want.

But the CBS All Access thing is going to be the norm.

Some won't ever generate enough to make it worthwhile and some will get bought out simply because their installed base of X users getting debited every month coupled with their library will make them worth the trouble of someone else.

3-5 years from now people will complain that you have to have too many subscriptions to see everything they want.

10 years from now people will complain that three companies have bought everything interesting up and your only choice is to either pay them or figure out what you are willing to give up.

My guess is Hulu and Amazon have figured out a critical piece of the pie. The tack-on subscription but Hulu isn't going to offer ESPN+ or DisneyFlix as a tack-on because Disney would have to share.

ESPN+ is offering tack-ons for MLB and NHL but not pushing them yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't pursue similar eventually with NFL and NBA as well as with LHN, ACC and SEC.
08-10-2018 11:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Interesting Tweet On ESPN-Plus - Wedge - 08-09-2018, 03:37 PM
RE: Interesting Tweet On ESPN-Plus - JRsec - 08-09-2018, 03:40 PM
RE: Interesting Tweet On ESPN-Plus - Wedge - 08-09-2018, 04:00 PM
RE: Interesting Tweet On ESPN-Plus - Wedge - 08-09-2018, 03:53 PM
RE: Interesting Tweet On ESPN-Plus - Wedge - 08-09-2018, 04:22 PM
RE: Interesting Tweet On ESPN-Plus - arkstfan - 08-10-2018 11:29 AM
RE: Interesting Tweet On ESPN-Plus - Wedge - 08-10-2018, 01:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.