Bookmark and Share
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
RE: What OOC Teams Could Help Build Your School’s Attendance
(07-31-2018 09:42 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(07-31-2018 04:01 AM)forerunner Wrote:  
(07-30-2018 07:57 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(07-30-2018 06:34 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  So while we're apparently now on this subject, indulge me as to where you where you're getting your numbers from. Do you have any links you can share? I'm asking because I'm highly skeptical that Naval Station Norfolk alone has 85K more active duty than San Antonio does with Fort Sam Houston Army Base, Randolph AFB, Lackland AFB, Kelly AF Annex, and Camp Bullis combined.

I googled military installations by city and found this discussion;
http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-c...ost-5.html

Perhaps it's outdated data. And I get why you brought it up as it relates to who UTSA should play OOC. That all makes sense. I just think the nickname is silly, considering how many military centric cities there are; Honolulu, Fayetteville NC, San Diego, Jacksonville FL, Jacksonville NC, DC,

From the US military:

Fort Sam Houston
Total Force Active Duty and DOD Civ: 36,976
Family Members: 48,415
Retirees: 76,580
Total population: 161,971

Lackland AFB
Total Force Active Duty and DOD Civ: 34,833
Contract Employees and Family Members: 11,744
Students / Retirees / Other: 71,417
Total population: 117,994

Randolph AFB
Total Force Active Duty: 4,423
Family Members and Dependents: 5,291
DoD and NAF civilians: 5,778
Total population: 15,492.

Total total: 295,457

Source
2nd source

Your City-Data forum post included military for a city +100 miles around, which in our case nicely excludes the largest US military base in the world, Fort Hood (147 miles) and Naval Air Station Corpus Christi (143 mi). These would add another ~361K.

EDIT:
That same .mil source does not list a military population for Norfolk, but https://www.hamptonroadschamber.com/page/our-military/ cites 83K active duty and 150K combined population for all of Hampton Roads (not Norfolk), which is less than that within San Antonio city limits, not including our surrounding areas. Now you get it.

The 150K figure you have for "combined population" is active duty and civilian personnel. Doesn't include families and retirees. So if you want apples to apples adding just those categories up from your figures above. 36,976+34,833+4,423+5,778 = 82K active duty and civilian personnel in SA.

Or conversely, according to this the Naval Medical Center in Portsmouth services approximately 420,000 active duty, family members and retirees in the area. But that number doesn't include civilians.

https://www.military.com/base-guide/nava...portsmouth

If your intention is to compare 82K active duty and civilian personnel for one city (San Antonio) covering 470 square miles, to 150K active duty and civilian personnel for the entire Hampton Roads area (8 cities spanning 3,800 square miles), that's not apples to apples. Far from it. So again, I'm not sure what the issue is here.

If you guys can find a larger concentration of military personnel within just one city, then I can understand you taking issue with the Military City moniker, which again is beside the point of this thread to begin with. If however, you can't, I think this conversation is over.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2018 11:35 AM by Volkmar.)
07-31-2018 11:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What OOC Teams Could Help Build Your School’s Attendance - Volkmar - 07-31-2018 11:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.