Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What would a new court mean?
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: What would a new court mean?
(06-29-2018 10:55 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  How was the constitution harmed?
By usurping the rightful powers of individual states.

Quote:States and the Federal government afforded those of us straight marriage certain privileges and rights denied same sex couples
Yes.

Quote:The state has to have a compelling interest to deny one relationship these enhanced rights and privileges.
Two issues here. First, whether such a compelling interest actually exists, and secondly whether the State is (or should be) required to explain/defend/justify that interest to the federal judiciary. For me, the answer to the first question is Yes and to the second question is No.

Of course, Anthony Kennedy feels differently about this than I do. We live in a time when most Americans defer to the Supreme Court on such matters, so as a legal matter, I realize the issue is resolved. But that’s hardly the same thing as being persuaded that the resolution is correct or sensible.

Quote:The real problem with gay marriage is that long ago two bad decisions were made. The first was to push government to start recording what had been a religious ceremony and the second was to conclude marriage in and of itself was not sufficient of a reward and government should afford marriage enhanced rights and privileges to encourage people to marry
To me, the idea of recording marriages is to enable the broader community to be aware of who is married (and to whom), and who is not married. To be deliberately unaware of this is an invitation to social chaos.

The idea of “marriage benefits” in the tax code, etc., reflects a view that marriage is a stabilizing institution in society. It helps connect husbands and wives to one another, and it helps connect parents to their offspring. There are, of course, some tragic exceptions to the rule, but such connections are of great benefit to families and the broader society in the overwhelming majority of cases.

I realize we are trying to communicate across a vast ideological divide. But it still surprises me that anyone would dispute those two concepts. Yet, here we are.

In reference to the linked article in the OP: yes the post-Kennedy Supreme Court will be very delicate with formally overturning precedents. They know as well as anybody that the Left has successfully transformed Roe v Wade into a kind of secular-icon for a lot of people and to simply throw it in the trash would cause a lot of needless political disruption and strife.
07-01-2018 07:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
What would a new court mean? - bullet - 06-29-2018, 08:42 AM
RE: What would a new court mean? - Native Georgian - 07-01-2018 07:45 AM
RE: What would a new court mean? - bullet - 07-01-2018, 10:15 PM
RE: What would a new court mean? - bullet - 07-01-2018, 10:16 PM
RE: What would a new court mean? - GoodOwl - 07-22-2018, 11:07 PM
RE: What would a new court mean? - bullet - 07-23-2018, 09:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.