Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Anyone catch Jim Calhoun on the Gottlieb radio show today?
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
RE: Anyone catch Jim Calhoun on the Gottlieb radio show today?
(03-29-2018 10:23 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(03-29-2018 06:44 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I could be wrong--but I dont think so----My gut feeling is UConn isnt going anywhere until they have a solid working figure on the new AAC TV deal.

I think you'd be safe inscribing that in marble.

Personally I have thought for some time that the AAC vs. Big East math for UConn probably favored Big East simply because conference revenue is such a small portion of their revenue. AAC revenue is roughly as important to UConn as Sun Belt revenue has been for AState.

I actually thought just the opposite--for two reasons.

One---UConn is going to lose about 7 million a year in income when the "realignment fund" (comprised of old exit fees and left behind NCAA credits) runs out. This fund has been augementing the payout for the legacy Big East members of the AAC. Those teams will be looking for every spare dime when that happens. Coming up with a 10 million dollar exit fee for little or no difference in annual payout isnt going to be attractive.

Two---The football issue. Even if you make a bit more in basketball, you'll probably lose a bit more in football. Indy wont be kind. UConn is not BYU or Notre Dame. An Indy UConn schedule is going to look a lot more like a Umass schedule than a BYU schedule. That aint going to bring big bucks for tv and it isnt going to attract recruits or season ticket buyers.

My feeling is the difference in annual revenue is going to have to be pretty darn substantial before it makes sense to shell out 10 million in present day dollars AND throw football under a bus. I think the there is virtually no chance that the next AAC TV deal is going to less than the current BE deal (in fact, I think there is a very good chance the new AAC deal will be substantially better than the current BE deal).
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2018 01:24 AM by Attackcoog.)
03-30-2018 01:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anyone catch Jim Calhoun on the Gottlieb radio show today? - Attackcoog - 03-30-2018 01:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.