Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rockets Winning the Close Games
Bookmark and Share
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
RE: Rockets Winning the Close Games
(02-08-2018 11:00 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  
(02-07-2018 03:44 PM)Rocket75 Wrote:  Many of us in the stands were wondering why Toledo did not switch to a zone. It is usually difficult to drive in for layups against a zone.

Does Coach K ever teach zone play in practice? It might just get the opponent off balance trying to play against a different defense. Even Bob Nichols would have the players zone now and then. I recall various zones: 3-2, 2-3, 1-3-1, and a box and 1 if there was one guy who was a super scorer that needed to be stopped.

You're absolutely right on how it should be difficult to drive on a zone defense, and if played correctly the zone collapses to cut off dishes to others down in the lane - and that makes them susceptible to kick-outs to the three point line. That's ok because those passes can also be picked off if the defense understands where to move to in the zone. Always force them to try to pass over the top of the zone.

But, the one time I saw Toledo go to a 1-3-1, German got around the point man with the dribble then drove past the next layer and went in for a lay-up while Knapke tried to adjust to put up some kind of defense under the basket. German scored on a lay-up that started above the top of the key. I cussed for awhile, got up and walked around - and wondered if they practice that defense for more than 10 minutes at a practice during the week.

K seems to use the zone as a change in look to maybe get a stop and cause a little confusion. German was just having his way Tuesday. Hopefully, we’ll resolve that in De Kalb.
02-08-2018 11:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rockets Winning the Close Games - H2Oville Rocket - 02-08-2018 11:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.