Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hyper and other past and present MRDs
Bookmark and Share
JMUTrippster Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
RE: Hyper and other past and present MRDs
(01-08-2018 10:48 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  My mom made me take music lessons as a kid. It basically was something I didn't have a choice in. At some point I think I "got out" of multiple music lessons by promising to focus on one instrument. By focus I mean focus as a high school kid, not a professional... actually practice once in a while, progress through lesson books in school, etc. My high school band wasn't amazing, but they were pretty large and decent in competition. I didn't know anything about football or marching band, again it was something I 'had to do'. I didn't "like" band until late in high school. I had never heard of or seen the Marching Royal Dukes (or anything JMU) until I applied and toured. I figured I'd give it a try for something to be involved in at college. I didn't "love" band until my first year in the MRDs. That's when it hit me about what it meant to be small part of that big picture.

I don't have advice here I guess... but I'd say keep on him, positive reinforcement, when he's ready to give up remind him that it's ok but keep after that horn. And have fun. You have to have fun or you'll hate it. Don't be so serious. Be glad he's not the next Bach. The guys who thought they were the next Bach were pretty much tools. Don't push too hard, but keep on him. If he enjoys the MRDs, you've got hope. But MRDs are a long way from 6th grade.

I'm not Arturo Sandoval, but give me a trumpet and some whiskey and by God I'll act like I am.

"GIVE ME A TRUMPET!!" Hahaha!

Agreed with Deez on this, but I did actually really enjoy middle school band, I think because I was not an athlete and it was something I could practice and excel in, and participating in the all county bands and (trying) to make the all-state bands were awesome. I loved marching band in high school since we were a competition band, and really geared my college applications toward schools with bands so I could watch all the home games (and some away) for free.

Just keep up with positive reinforcement and don't push too hard, band isn't for everyone, but I agree that the MRDs were definitely the best and my favorite experience in college because of the opportunities it presented and friendships I made (including meeting my wife)!!
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2018 01:30 PM by JMUTrippster.)
01-09-2018 01:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hyper and other past and present MRDs - JMUTrippster - 01-09-2018 01:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.