Greenberg: UConn Should Be in Big East
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Greenberg: UConn Should Be in Big East
(12-06-2017 04:45 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 04:37 PM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 04:24 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 04:14 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  FBS football independence is becoming a bit more viable. It's nothing against the AAC or UConn, but I don't see the two being a good match for football. Maybe that's because the AAC is a hodge-podge of institutional types, but, I think the conference is too heavily rooted in the south for its northeastern members to identify with each other and the rest of the conference. I mean, when you consider that Navy identifies the southwest as a base for recruiting rather than Temple and UConn, and that's tough. You can't force UConn to play nice with UMass, but, I think UMass would struggle there, too.

I think the talking heads are right on this one. I think UConn should really consider the Big East to protect its basketball program, and let football "figure it out" in an environment where it could probably build a viable schedule from many parts. And, yes, I think UConn's name is big enough that it could get them a bowl tie-in.

I wouldn't be surprised if UConn's been trying to figure it out. I think there's been an issue of what happens with all of that money UConn got from the departing C7 members AND what the rest of the AAC might want from that cut. I used to think the Big East schools would welcome UConn back easily, but with its hands outstretched looking for its money back; I think UConn knows departing will wind up them getting sued for something significant from the AAC, and UConn wanting to keep every dime they've collected. Meaning, no movement.

I don't think the Big East's concern is necessarily about wanting money back from UConn. Instead, it's about what caused the Catholic 7 to eventually split off on their own in the first place: membership instability. They want to *control* their place in conference realignment as opposed to having other leagues control them (which is what happened over the course of over a decade in the poaching of the old Big East). Within the realm of non-FBS Division I conferences, the Big East is THE top dog when it comes to conference realignment power. The Big East is the predator in that environment while others are the prey. As soon as they let back in a school whose true ultimate goal is to join a P5 conference, then that lets back in the instability of having other power conferences ultimately dictate their membership. All of the Big East schools would love to play games on-the-court against UConn in a vacuum, but that instability that would be invited back in is what could (and I think would) hold the Big East back from inviting UConn even if UConn was willing to make the move (and I don't think they're willing, anyway).

AAC CCG---3.385 MILLION (pac12 CCG barely topped that with 3.5-6 million :coffee3:playing in primetime with no competition. The AAC was on at noon against the big12 ccg)
MAC CCG --652K
MWC CCG 624K
CUSA CCG 255K
S BELT CCG 225K

I'm not sure what the AAC championship game ratings have to do with the post. Every FBS school that isn't in a power conference (besides Notre Dame) would take a P5 invite sight unseen. That was my point as to why the Big East wouldn't want to deal with UConn or any other FBS school again (and why the C7 left in the first place).
The point is that you stated that the AAC and NBE contract would probably change, and I agree and that change will be based on ratings and not rankings04-cheers
12-06-2017 05:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Greenberg: UConn Should Be in Big East - Tigersmoke4 - 12-06-2017 05:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.