Never thought I ever agree with Dennis Dodd
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Never thought I ever agree with Dennis Dodd
(12-05-2017 05:16 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 04:49 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 03:55 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Frank,

The lack of logic, or wild conclusion of Dennis Dodd, should not be surprising. While many here note (and more on twitter) how generally less than intelligent Dodd is, the same can be said for nearly every sportswriter and broadcaster.

Dodd is good at having sources and having sources tell him things. This column was, not that. Moving on.

Quote:Hence they are always surprised by off field decisions.

Quote:Now to the subject on hand. I agree on the 5 P5 champions, I am less thrilled with the G5 getting a bid. I think they should be in the pool to consider, but should not automatically be in one of those three slots. This Year UCF and I think that 2004 Boise State team I'd be fine with. But others like WMU last year ... no. Perhaps a top 15 or top 12 ranking would be required.

Now you're being surprised by off-the-field decisions. The G5 isn't going to agree to sit quietly and approve this if they get LESS than they have now, which is 1 bid out of however many there are. They can't face their stakeholders and say "well we got X" when X is clearly less than what they have now.

Quote:The biggest problem I see is the semi-final games.

I agree. If you're relying on fans, you're talking about a trip to the CCG, to the New Years' quarterfinal, and adding a semifinal. I'd expect the semifinal and quarterfinal sites to rotate in the 6 New Years Bowls (2 bowls "double-host" much like the old BCS), so it's a known destination.

Will the schools be able to sell out their ticket allotments for 4 road trips? PRobably, but that's a concern.

In my perfect world, the bowls would host the quarterfinals on/around New Years. Then, the *semifinals* would be on-campus games at the two highest ranked remaining teams. That gives every playoff participant a bowl trip and provides a true home field advantage to the two highest ranked opponents in the semifinal round (which is a big-time incentive to get as high of a ranking as you can plus reduces travel fatigue). There are some logistical concerns with that type of format (e.g. winterized Northern stadiums), but I like that format more than making the first round into on-campus games (because maybe it's just me, but I can't stand the thought of having the "reward" for the very best elite teams of being a December road trip to a place like Tuscaloosa while inferior teams get to go to LA, Miami or Orlando for New Years).

Close but when the P4 occurs, the CCG will become the defacto semi CFP bids with the committee having veto override if the 8-4 upsets the 12-0 team. Just my prediction:

Pac 12 takes TX, TT, OU and OSU to go to 16. ND will dictate their terms to join the ACC and who comes with them. Big 10 and 12 will on go to 16 if there are teams they truly want in the conference. Show seeing 70-72 teams that will be power teams. I see some G5 moving up and P5 getting left. See the remaining B12 teams and AAC create the new tallest midget.

What I like to see as 16 team conferences.
For the ACC, I would love to see the ACC have SMU, TCU or Houston as the 16th team but see ND wanting Navy as football only. Fits with Wake, BC and Duke just with bigger fan base.

B10 take Kansas and a Texas School

SEC - WVU and ISU or KSU

Again, I just be happy to be around since I will be in my 60's when the GOR expires.
12-05-2017 06:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Never thought I ever agree with Dennis Dodd - msm96wolf - 12-05-2017 06:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.