TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: HOW MUCH DOES UCONN WBB PROGRAM HELP A CONF
(07-20-2017 07:33 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(07-19-2017 07:50 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(07-17-2017 03:53 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(07-16-2017 10:26 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  concerning OP

WBB helps some, but it's not necessarily decisive. Where it helps is putting UConn on the map for most people. While you forget about Boston College or Virginia when the Football and MBB are down, you still remember UConn because it's something special. If the B1G or ACC were looking at UConn, on a 100 point scale their WBB would give them a +5 points. Being a flagship is a +15, to put it in perspective. Football, eyeballs (TV or whatever media), recruiting, and infrastructure will still be the deciding factors.

WBB isn't much of the equation, but it isn't zero. Consider how the P12 advertises that it's the conference of champions by all the obscure events won by Stanford; The B1G or ACC would gladly proclaim WBB dominance with UConn. Again not the top priority, but a "nice" extra.

Being a flagship vs. not being a flagship matters exactly as much as "having a market," which almost matter as much as having a solid WBB program.

The first two are arbitrary and literally have no value, and the 3rd has no material value. "Market" and flagship status are made up, and, at best, poor proxy's for something that's easily measurable.

Penn State, Alabama, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Auburn, Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. aren't less valuable because they're located in the middle of nowhere. Similarly, Rutgers, Northwestern, BC, Rice, Houston, Temple, Vanderbilt, Tulane, UNLV, UCSD, etc. aren't super valuable because they're located in big/huge cities. Their media value is determined by A) the number of people willing to pay for access to the content, and B) the number of people willing to watch their content and then go out and buy the stuff that's being advertised, and neither of those two factors are driven by a school's "market."

Also, flagship vs. no flagship doesn't make sense on its face because not every state designates a flagship, and zero private schools are flagships. At best, flagship status is a proxy for fan support (there's probably a loose correlation between being a flagship and having more fan support) and academic standing (there's probably also a loose correlation between being a flagship and being higher-ranked), but both fan support and academic prestige can be measured far more directly and far more accurately.

Given virtually nobody watches WBB, and even fewer people would be willing to pay for it (see WBB revenues), I have a hard time seeing WBB any higher than a 1 on a scale of 0-100. The other two factors that you listed are obvious 0's.

Agree with you that WBB means a 1 on a 0 to 100 scale.
Disagree with you 100% that being a flagship is arbitrary and has no value. If that's your opinion, I must say my opinion on that is exactly the opposite. I must insist 100% in the opposite direction. If 101% was possible, I'd be 101% positive that you are incorrect in that way of thinking, good Sir.

Completely agree.

There are certain values being a flagship has that others do not. If this wasn't the case, then "major" institutions would all be on the same level, which, of course, they are not.

I would say that I still think WBB being a 1 on a scale of 0 to 100 is being generous.

I'd call it a tiebreaker at worst...maybe a few bonus points at best. UConn WBB would bring the most value to the ACC for the conference has several really good WBB programs. It would also be good for the fledgling ACC Network. The B1G would be next on the value to conference chart.

The major issue do they bring enough to be at least a net neutral on TV proceeds? UConn WBB does have some sort TV Package with SNY but IIRC it pays like a million a year.

I don't think there are enough Women and Beta Males watching UConn WBB to bring in that revenue to tip the balance. If UConn gets added they will get added for factors other than WBB.
07-20-2017 08:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HOW MUCH DOES UCONN WBB PROGRAM HELP A CONF - TexanMark - 07-20-2017 08:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.