Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
RE: Fort Wayne or IUPUI to Horizon?
(05-09-2017 09:14 PM)Mister Consistency Wrote:  
(05-09-2017 06:30 PM)SMUfan Wrote:  What about adding 3:

Robert Morris
Morehead State
SIU-E

Robert Morris is a tough fit; they only sponsor six men's sports, and three of those are football, hockey, and lacrosse, which the Horizon League has no championships in. I think most leagues have a minimum number of sports you have to sponsor for men and women to get in. (RMU would have no issues on the women's side.)

If you could convince Bellarmine to bolt from the SoCon, then get NJIT and Howard out of their independent wilderness, plus RMU, Cleveland State, and Detroit, you could form a men's lax championship. But even then, that's only four sports. Not sure that's enough, since I can't find anything on a minimum for conference membership.

Morehead State doesn't fit their MO of large metro/suburb schools. SIU-Edwardsville would be a stretch just because both basketball teams and their baseball team are traditionally quite bad, much worse than IUPUI or Fort Wayne over the long-term.

To me, IUPUI seems like an easy choice. It'd be silly to go to 12 or 14 and not have the school that's within walking distance of your headquarters in the fold, especially when they're no longer playing men's games in The Jungle. Then again, they've been available for some time and the Horizon hasn't picked them up. If they wanted to expand, IUPUI would've been dancing on the ceiling.

I talked to someone from Indiana who actually suggested they could look at the Dakota schools, particularly the xDSUs. If you want quality basketball and fan support, SDSU and NDSU would bring it more so than IUPUI or Fort Wayne, although SDSU doesn't really fit the mold (Brookings is about 60 miles north of Sioux Falls) and is in love with having the tournament in Sioux Falls.

In a perfect world, I think you take IUPUI, Belmont, Omaha, UMKC, and Fort Wayne and split the conference in half. If Belmont has no interest, Robert Morris would be next, and if they can't make it work, look to the Dakotas, or go further into the Northeast and try to pry Canisius and Niagara (both in Buffalo) out of the MAAC, which would make Detroit very happy. Schools like SIUE (greater St. Louis) and even Oral Roberts (Tulsa) would be a last resort.

Six actually works for lacrosse and maybe the Horizon schools offering it will expand. It would also give the Horizon another men's team sport for ensuring it's autobid.

No way would the XDSU's look at the Horizon except out of desperation. Every trip becomes a plane ride and more. The Buffalo schools might be possible, but don't think they would be interested as they seem to like the NY metro area. SIUE doesn't have access to a nearby big arena, so think that would be a bottom lister.
05-09-2017 09:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Fort Wayne or IUPUI to Horizon? - Chuck_A - 05-08-2017, 06:14 AM
RE: Fort Wayne or IUPUI to Horizon? - NoDak - 05-09-2017 09:26 PM
RE: Fort Wayne or IUPUI to Horizon? - MJG - 05-30-2017, 02:49 PM
RE: Fort Wayne or IUPUI to Horizon? - MJG - 05-31-2017, 09:24 AM
RE: Fort Wayne or IUPUI to Horizon? - MJG - 06-01-2017, 04:11 AM
RE: Fort Wayne or IUPUI to Horizon? - MJG - 06-01-2017, 08:59 AM
Fort Wayne or IUPUI to Horizon? - Jjoey52 - 06-08-2017, 07:46 PM
Fort Wayne or IUPUI to Horizon? - Jjoey52 - 06-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Fort Wayne or IUPUI to Horizon? - Jjoey52 - 06-09-2017, 12:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.