Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Enigmatic Plan B: Is it all coming together?
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
The Enigmatic Plan B: Is it all coming together?
Some of you who like to peruse Twitter will probably remember what I'm about to say.

Think back a few months to the random musings that surrounded the Big 12 expansion conversation. Many of those musings and bold statements from the Twitterati seem foolish in hindsight. Most of them seemed foolish even at the time. I'd like to direct your attention, however, to one string of musings that actually makes more sense today than when it was written. That in and of itself is a rarity if not an altogether unprecedented event.

Do you remember Tim Montemayor, the radio personality turned house flipper? Yeah, that one. The one that stuck out like a sore thumb because he was neither a journalist nor a self-proclaimed "guy who knows people." He was some combination of the two and that was funny, but he did have something interesting to say.

He tweeted that Texas had broken Oklahoma's trust because they were preparing a "Plan B." He said that the powers that be in the Big 12 could not agree on much of anything and for that reason expansion was dead. In fact, he was basically the only person in the Twitterverse that made a few predictions about realignment while simultaneously saying the Big 12 wasn't going to do anything. That alone made him unique and that doesn't necessarily make him credible, but I think it's worth taking into consideration. It's also worth noting that he doesn't talk about the subject often. Unlike the Dudes or the Fluguars of the world, he doesn't discuss the minutia and try to dissect every possible angle. He doesn't claim to be "on the inside" where he receives regular intel so that he can share for all the world to see. If he did do those things then that would probably be a dead giveaway for a guy who's receiving information no sooner than any of the rest of us. In other words, just a guy with a Twitter account looking for attention. Montemayor, however, hardly ever broaches the topic. People who know things tend to be more discreet.

He used to be a sports radio guy in Salt Lake City and apparently his only connection to the sports world came via BYU. I'll get to why that might matter later.

I know this is going to sound crazy...what, did you expect something uber logical from me? But in light of some of the more recent events, there are some dots that might be connecting...

1. ESPN plans on expanding college sports coverage in Mexico. The SECN and ESPNU are about to go live there.

2. Texas may be getting ready to make their final move by keeping Mike Perrin around for a couple more years.

3. Perrin, in fact, said a few months ago he wouldn't be surprised to see something happen with regard to Big 12 expansion. At least, that is how the quote is always presented. The full quote has never been made available because it came from a sit down interview with Kirk Bohls. Perhaps Bohls misunderstood the tone of the statement because clearly Big 12 expansion is done. Just a thought.

4. The PAC may be getting serious about their network.

5. The ACC Network will get off the ground right around the time Perrin's tenure is over.

So if some of our speculation on this board is true...1) that ESPN wants as much of the TX market as possible in part to sell to a Mexican audience, 2) that people want to get this over with as soon as possible, and 3) that the networks are about to go war over the Big 12 then all of a sudden "Plan B" starts to come into focus.

I didn't take it all that seriously when it was first proposed and of course I'm not certain it's real now. Unfortunately, I have no real connections so I rely on you all for my info 04-cheers

For those of you unfamiliar with what exactly I'm referring to when I say Plan B, here it is:

Texas takes the rest of the TX schools in the Big 12, partners with BYU and Houston, and then shops the whole bloc to another conference. A little bizarre right? More bizarre than most suggestions, but it's starting to make more sense.

When JR mentioned yesterday that ESPN may want to protect their TX properties in the SEC, something clicked. I realized I had heard something similar in the past and went back to put my finger on it. That's when I remembered Montemayor's prediction.

He said that this bloc would get shopped to another conference. He never said it would happen, he just said it was the plan. He specifically did not say which conference the group would end up in and said, in fact, that he didn't know. He said only that the plan had been formed. He did say though that 20 team conferences were entirely realistic. Well, 14+6=20.

So what if that's what we're seeing the stage set for?

We've talked about Texas and friends before and I'm sure we will again, but let me note why BYU makes sense in this context.

1. They're already an ESPN property
2. They're not entangled to another school unlike Oklahoma or Kansas
3. They're a conservative religious school that will, in my opinion, never get consideration from the PAC. Can't think of anyone else that would consider them either except maybe the SEC.
4. They have a national fan base
5. Much of their fan base resides in the Mountain West region and while Utah is especially prosperous, that region is full of strong growing markets. It is also full of a growing Spanish speaking population. There's a great deal of overlap there.
6. If BYU was in a division with mostly TX schools then the travel wouldn't be that unreasonable
7. They're one of the few available programs that has good attendance, good revenue, and fairly solid basketball.

If ESPN wants to capitalize on the TX market and utilize the LHN as a Spanish language option while simultaneously tapping the Mountain West with one school then this has got to be the plan.

The BYU aspect is especially weird, but until yesterday I had never heard anyone else say that a ton of TX schools might move to one conference. The only connection is that this Montemayor guy apparently knows people at BYU. If they knew what "Plan B" was in the first place then it must mean they were involved.

So could the essential merging of the SEC and the SWC be what some of the recent activity has been all about?

So let's say Oklahoma and Kansas end up moving to the Big Ten after all. Let's say the PAC cleans things up with Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Iowa State, and one more. Let's say West Virginia heads off to the ACC.

Everyone is accounted for at that stage.

Thoughts?
04-25-2017 02:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
The Enigmatic Plan B: Is it all coming together? - AllTideUp - 04-25-2017 02:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.