Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread
(12-01-2016 02:55 PM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 02:49 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 02:07 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 01:38 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 12:07 PM)monarx Wrote:  Yes. ODU would do well to also give banners or house flags free to any bar or restaurant that wants one. Thats like a free billboard for the school. Its well worth a $25 banner for that kind of exposure. Ive thought about buying them in bulk in and asking places that have other schools up if they will add ODU. If they say yes, just pull one out of my trunk and give it to them. It comes across as authentic pride and positions the school as a place the area embraces and its alumni support. You could get hundreds of banners for the cost of a billboard for one month.

They should also be giving all incoming freshman free nice looking T-shirts that they will actually wear. Send one to every incoming student before they arrive and ask them to put it on social media with a specific hashtag. That word of mouth promotion and genuine excitement about ODU is priceless.

I think the problem is, if the school gives them away then they can't charge people to buy those flags/banners etc.

I think 1 big hand out would get the pride thing going, and maybe cause some neighbor envy (might inspire them to buy one?). When those banners / flags fade or get damaged, people might be more prone to buy one as a replacement.

Its not like BWW, Green Turtle, AJ Gators, Chichos, etc are buying ODU gear anyway. Only give them to businesses. There are pizza places on the OBX that hang college banners from the rafters, including VT, UVA, ECU etc. We're the closest D1 school to there. Seems if we give them one and they hang it, all those tourists see it and associate us with the beach, a good time, and all those other schools too. Heck, I wouldn't even be opposed to hiring some students, paying them minimum wage and giving them T-shirts to walk up and down the VB resort strip in the summer and just have a good time. Again, cheap yet authentic promotion.

I was visiting family in High Point last weekend and there's a ton of businesses that have purple "I (heart) High Point University" banners and signs. Not sure if it's part of a program or if they give them out, but it was hard to miss them -- and I never actually saw the campus, so it wasn't just in the immediate area.

The HPU President came from a Business Background and understands leveraging relationships and marketing to improve the institution. 20 years ago HPU only accepted crappy kids and had a crappy campus. Now they can't keep the kids away and have an amazing campus. Their president reinvented the place and ran it like a business to make it a better college.

Rumor is that HPU is trying to get into the CAA, and given the massive capital and marketing investments they've made, I could see it. Definitely can't imagine they have long-term ambitions that include the Big South.
12-01-2016 03:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread - Cyniclone - 12-01-2016 03:21 PM
ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread - odu09 - 07-03-2018, 09:24 AM
ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread - bit_9 - 05-24-2019, 04:21 PM
ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread - bit_9 - 05-26-2019, 04:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.