Pac-12 protest targets for-profit Grand Canyon's move to Division I
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
RE: Pac-12 protest targets for-profit Grand Canyon's move to Division I
(07-18-2013 11:53 AM)Wedge Wrote:  
(07-18-2013 11:26 AM)TomThumb Wrote:  
(07-18-2013 09:45 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
(07-18-2013 09:17 AM)jnewyouth Wrote:  The difference is that For-Profit colleges and universities will actually earn money off of the backs of their players and give it to investors while non-profit universities must invest it back in the university. Allowing these colleges and universities into D-I will make all the difference in court when players sue for payment. We are seeing the beginning of the end of amateur college sports with this.

When most athletic departments are sucking money from the school, and I suspect GCU would be no exception, they're not really giving anything to investors.

GCU, like pretty much all for-profit universities, spends more on sales and marketing than they do on actually teaching the students. And what better marketing for a for-profit than playing in Division I?

It's a big marketing edge over other for-profit colleges with massive online enrollment. Others will probably follow suit.

I suppose the question is whether the membership of the NCAA wants to permit for-profit schools to enhance their appeal by having D-I sports. If you don't care whether for-profit schools do that, then there's no reason to object to them being NCAA members as long as they follow the same rules every other NCAA member follows.

Yup, it's all about enrollment. Get admits up, give money to investors. That's their "charter."

There's a component to this that isn't getting much talk, and that's accreditation and transfer-ability, as in...community colleges and JC's are getting roughed up for questionable standards...it will be open season on the for-profits unless they get entirely shielded by the government...which they won't.

Gotta love higher ed...oh, it's petty.
07-18-2013 04:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pac-12 protest targets for-profit Grand Canyon's move to Division I - The Cutter of Bish - 07-18-2013 04:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.