Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Reduced interest in Rice baseball?
mrbig Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: Reduced interest in Rice baseball?
(05-13-2013 07:30 PM)ETx Owl Wrote:  I have been chastised for being negative, and in some instances questioning Wayne , but I have realized that in baseball , parity has hit and of course we have been spoiled by success for many years and we dont like it. Baseball has been our flagship to brag about athletically. It has always given me great pleasure to read where Aggies and Longhorns would rather beat us than anybody, and a victory over Rice baseball was a feather in their cap. If you polled the state of Texas today, I think we would be at the top of the measuring stick still. Look at the miserable record almost all of our state teams have this year.

That is an interesting point. But Rice hasn't been to the CWS in a while and hasn't looked dominant even as we've continued to host in the post-season. I love the team and continue to follow, but its hard to get quite as jazzed up when the team is good instead of great. I miss the days when Rice would lose fewer than 5 conference games all season and routinely swept conference foes. I miss the days when Rice was feared. I think those days can return and I'm not sure why we've had a few down years in a row.

I am excited about football season, but that happens every year and another miserable start would be pretty crushing.

I'm also a little more excited about basketball a year removed from "the departed." But the possible DeBose defection on the heels of a million other defections is beyond troubling.

And to me, Greenspan still hangs over everything, dampening my exitement. I know some of you support him. I've never met him in person and he's certainly never said or done anything to me personally to make me feel that way. But I've just heard way too much negativity from many corners of Rice athletics, and I'm not particularly well-connected. How the University can continue to support him and seem to think he's doing an even mediocre job astounds me. And it makes me a little less excited than I otherwise would be about everything, baseball included. My exitement level would go up 50% if he was gone, and 100% if Rice hired an alum who had achieved success outside the college sports arena that they could bring to the leadership spot.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2013 09:47 AM by mrbig.)
05-14-2013 09:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reduced interest in Rice baseball? - mrbig - 05-14-2013 09:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.