Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target?
(01-11-2013 04:36 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 12:11 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 09:51 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 07:54 AM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 07:49 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Stupid? Really.

Really. Look at the facts. If you follow the typical path: (recruit, redshirt, 4 playing years) the odds are much better than not you will finish under a different head coach (or two) than the one who recruited you. College football coaching stability is essentially a myth.
Vast majority of kids commit to personal relationships. It's just a fact. You think it should be different. It's not.

I'm not claiming all or even most recruits decide based upon the school (even defined in a very broad sense), I think it's a complex decision. And I think the current coaching staff should be taken into account in part because not all instability is created equal. But if it's my kid I make sure he understands this recruiting is puppy love and the fact is the coach is just doing a job and you will in all liklihood be at the school longer than he will as head coach going forward. That's reality in college football. You need to think beyond simply the current head coach to make the best decision for you and yeah I think considering where you would want to go if you couldn't or wouldn't be playing football is a very worthwhile consideration.

But the point is a school should live up to their end of the bargain the same way they would with a student who accepted an academic scholarship (granted the deadlines are different but the principle is the same).

I actually agree with this, but it could make for some awkward conversations where the new staff knows nothing whatsoever about a recruit. ["At the University of Cincinnati, we keep our commitments, but as for whether or not you can actually play for me, I've got no freaking idea...."]

I don't know that it is all that awkward coming from a guy who just took the job from the outside who doesn't even have a staff in place. I mean what else would one expect him to say (including the recruit and his parents)? It's honest. Plus there are ways to remain honest and buy time to make an evaluation of exactly how a kid would or wouldn't fit in with what you want in this recruiting class.

01-11-2013 04:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - Bearhawkeye - 01-11-2013 04:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.