Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA President has suggested changing the setup of NCAA governance
joe4psu Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Penn State
NCAA President has suggested changing the setup of NCAA governance
Will they...when will...how will...oh crap.

This seems very logical. There is too big a divide between the conferences to consider them the same classification isn't there? What would this really mean? I doubt that the "AQ's" will want to stop scheduling the "non-AQ's" in football. Can just football be reclassified?

Separating NCAA Division I wealth is coming as haves and have-nots become divided - Jon Solomon, al.com

...NCAA President Mark Emmert told reporters this week he has suggested to university presidents they consider changing the setup of NCAA governance to address the Division I financial gap. It's a gap where Alabama and Auburn spend more than $100 million, and UAB, South Alabama, Troy and Samford operate budgets of $25 million or less. And the gap keeps widening.

This issue isn't new to former NCAA President Cedric Dempsey. The NCAA restructured itself in the 1990s, largely due to concerns about legislative equity. The one-school, one-vote model was abandoned. The 11 Football Bowl Subdivision conferences -- including all six BCS conferences -- are now permanently on the 18-member Division I Board of Directors.

"I would suspect there's going to be either another subdivision or a separate division itself," Dempsey said. "Control and money are the driving forces."

The final straw may be the cost-of-attendance debate. The Division I board pushed through a well-intentioned rule allowing schools the choice to provide up to $2,000 a year more to athletes' scholarships. But enough members opposed it to suspend the rule.

...Conference realignment is largely about schools chasing TV dollars and positioning for future seismic shifts. The rhetoric has grown so loud that 53-year-old Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari told The Sporting News this month the NCAA won't govern four power conferences by the time he retires.

SEC Commissioner Mike Slive said he doesn't anticipate such a drastic change, but acknowledged there is "shaken confidence" from some Division I members.

...Dempsey said there have always been threats -- veiled or real -- by the power schools to break off from the NCAA.

"That was discussed even in 1996: 'If we can't have control of the (NCAA voting) structure, we'll do our own thing,'" Dempsey recalled. "I think to accomplish their goals, the threat will always be there."
03-31-2012 07:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
NCAA President has suggested changing the setup of NCAA governance - joe4psu - 03-31-2012 07:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.