Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will ETSU Grab SoCon Opening?
Bookmark and Share
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Will ETSU Grab SoCon Opening?
(11-03-2011 10:07 AM)slappywhite Wrote:  This was known to have been coming down the pike for at least two years. Timing was not the issue, nor were the students moving out. Where were the faculty? They drive the university, they could have had a vote of no confidence in the president and stopped it. Who tried to organize the faculty?

On this you are wrong. There were hints two years prior that it was a possibility, but as MommaBear pointed out repeatedly, all that was at least "smoothed over" for a period. The dropping of football, when and how it happened, was a total shock to 99.9% of the campus, including students, faculty, and other administrators. And that 99.9% is not an exaggeration. As I've mentioned before, again and again and again, there was no warning that anything of the sort was imminent. I have multiple degrees from ETSU. I was NEVER contacted about trying to save football, and I'm on all the alumni lists, mailouts, etc. To my knowledge, NOT ONE SINGLE football player, either present or past, was contacted about trying to raise money for the program. And I've talked to many of them, and others on this board have said exactly the same thing. There was NO realistic, "real" effort to raise the money needed to make it work. My contacts within the university community are vast and extensive, and I can assure you that not a single contact had any knowledge of it, nor any warning of it. JoAnn Paty herself didn't know of it, or if she did, she covered it up, because (again as I've posted repeatedly), she was quoted in the JC Press immediately after the ceremony opening the golf facility, to the effect that "ok, now we have to get working on the baseball stadium" (paraphrased, but very close to verbatim). Not a hint that there was anything worrisome about the football program.

As to the faculty, you have a point, but:
1) The faculty do not drive the university;
2) They were apparently (from all the evidence I've heard and seen) sold a bill of goods about how dire the financial situation was if football was kept. They were not informed that student activity fees were coming regardless. Some of the more outspoken faculty members, more academically-oriented, drowned out any opposing voices. Moreso, however, stanton presented it as a "done deal", with no room to argue.

That being said, however, if more faculty had taken it upon themselves to become educated about all the pros and cons, then perhaps there would have been more of an outcry. Sadly, no one tried to organize the faculty, but.........well, see point 1 above.
11-03-2011 11:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Will ETSU Grab SoCon Opening? - Buc66 - 11-01-2011, 03:37 PM
RE: Will ETSU Grab SoCon Opening? - abuc90 - 11-01-2011, 03:44 PM
RE: Will ETSU Grab SoCon Opening? - Buc66 - 11-03-2011, 07:32 AM
RE: Will ETSU Grab SoCon Opening? - buckys - 11-02-2011, 11:32 AM
RE: Will ETSU Grab SoCon Opening? - buckys - 11-02-2011, 04:32 PM
RE: Will ETSU Grab SoCon Opening? - posterformerlyknownasthedoctor - 11-03-2011 11:13 AM
RE: Will ETSU Grab SoCon Opening? - Buc66 - 11-03-2011, 10:21 AM
RE: Will ETSU Grab SoCon Opening? - Buc66 - 11-03-2011, 03:17 PM
RE: Will ETSU Grab SoCon Opening? - Buc66 - 11-04-2011, 09:59 AM
RE: Will ETSU Grab SoCon Opening? - buckys - 11-05-2011, 11:12 AM
RE: Will ETSU Grab SoCon Opening? - abuc90 - 12-06-2011, 04:55 PM
RE: Will ETSU Grab SoCon Opening? - Buc66 - 12-06-2011, 06:02 PM
RE: Will ETSU Grab SoCon Opening? - Buc66 - 12-06-2011, 05:14 PM
RE: Will ETSU Grab SoCon Opening? - abuc90 - 12-07-2011, 12:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.