Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If Darrin Horn were intereviewing for his own job today....
Bookmark and Share
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!

He has beaten a downtrodden, probation ridden Georgia squad 2/3 times. I applaud him for that.

They were on a self imposed probation for one year were they not (honest question I really don't remember)? And there was a year in between the two coaches taking over and the two coaches playing each other. I'm not saying that beating Georgia makes us national champs or anything but some but not all of the critics seem to think that Felton is heads and shoulders above Horn in coaching ability. I just don't believe that's true.

You can't defend losing to North Texas TWICE, Arkansas State TWICE, Florida Atlantic at home, squeaking by D2 Kentucky Weslyan.

I'm not going to try. I don't think we're really disagreeing as much as we're making out to be. My main beef when fans say Horn "can't coach" or fire Horn or what have you. I read a lot of message boards (I think its fun, go figure) and they all read the same. Every fan base wants results immediately or they want the coach fired. Louisville fans wanted thier coach fired this year, KY fans wanted Rich Brooks fired this year, N. Texas fans wanted thier coach fired this year (in basketball too) MTSU fans wanted to fire Kermit this year. Personally I like Horn. I very much want him to succeed, and I honestly believe he will sooner or later. And when he does I just hope there is a Crow eating thread about 10 pages long on the haven.

The list of flashing warning signs are going off all around. The large pink elephant in the room, so to speak.

See, I don't know that I agree with that. I think that Horn put together a really good team this year... minus a center. Yes, that's Horn's fault for not having an experienced center this year, but it doesn't change the fact that Horn could have coached his butt off and he still wouldn't have an experienced center this year. A small improvement in our post play would have made a huge difference in our record.

In no way do I think Horn should be dismissed at this point, but I am beginning to believe Horn is a lot more hype than substance. I also believe a good dose of humility would go along way. He seems to point the finger at the short comings of the program every where but the guy he looks at in the mirror.

I know whatever it is he said has really rubbed some people the wrong way... and that's fine. They're welcome to like or dislike him for whatever reason they choose. But I just can't bring myself to care what his personality is like. Its just not relevant. Many of the people that use this as an argument against Horn themselves admit that they wouldn't care if he was going to the NCAA's so why even bring it up? Its just a way to pile on. And lots of GREAT coaches were/are arrogant snots.

He DID NOT win the conference tourney nor do enough to get in the NCAA as an at-large.

See I know what you're saying and I think you know what I am saying. I believe that he DID do enough to get into the NCAA as an at large but through no fault of his own he lost his starting point gaurd. And darn if he didn't almost make it anyway.

I'm sorry Rumph died. But that is nothing more than excuse. He died in June. Hell, if Chis Marcus doesn't have injuries Felton probably takes WKU back to the sweet 16. But even without Chris Marcus during the majority of Feltons last 2 years, he still won the conference tourney and went to the NCAA's. So you mean to tell me ONE PLAYER has kept WKU from winning the conference tourney the past 4 years? If that is the case the WKU basketball program is in much worse shape than I imagined.

Danny Rumph's tragic death kept us out of the NCAA's last year. But had we made the NCAA that one year then no one would be calling for Horn's job. And again, that is my real beef.

No doubt both Arnold and Kilcullen both had some miserable seasons. But they both played in and won NCAA tourney games. Felton took over the WKU program at one the lowest points in the history of the program and had it back in the NCAA by his 3rd year. Horn took over a WKU program in much better shape than what Felton took over.

Felton is a good coach. I am proud to have had him on the hill and would have liked to of kept him longer. But my happiest memories of being a Topper fan were during the Willard years and that will be the standard by which I judge all coaches to come. And call it irrational, call it dumb, call it what you will, but I sincerely believe that Horn has a better chance of getting us back there then Felton ever did. And IMHO that is worth bearing through a few "subpar" 20 win seasons.

I guess I agree with you here. But a case could be made that the Subelt is just bad and the perception is actually a reality.

I thought N. Texas played a GREAT game when they came here. And watching Arkansas St. on TV... Banks is unreal, and how many post players did they have that looked like they could be in the NFL?? The talent level is clearly better in the Sunbelt than in say the OVC even if the results are not.

A serious question for you. Do you think the WKU hoops program is in better shape now than it was 4 years ago when Horn took over?

Right now... believe it or not... YES! When Horn took over we had a team riddled with defections, graduations and inexperience. Where as next year we are deeper, more experienced and more talented at every position then when Horn took over.
03-10-2007 07:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Big Money G - 03-07-2007, 02:14 PM
[] - Hilltopper2K - 03-07-2007, 06:43 PM
[] - Big Money G - 03-07-2007, 11:35 PM
[] - Hilltopper2K - 03-08-2007, 07:33 PM
[] - Big Money G - 03-09-2007, 12:09 PM
[] - Hilltopper2K - 03-09-2007, 08:46 PM
[] - Big Money G - 03-09-2007, 11:49 PM
[] - Hilltopper2K - 03-10-2007 07:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.