Thoughts?

04-24-2023 09:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bbqtiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of M always
RE: Johnathan Lawson in Portal
Oh, my. I am a bit disappointed. But he has to do what he deems in his best interests, I guess. I wish him well.
04-24-2023 09:48 AM
memphis mania Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Honestly, for the first time in over 30 years, I'm genuinely losing interest in college basketball. No stability now. I'm all for players getting paid and being able to play where they want, but there has got to be some sort of rule that when you commit to a school you are committed for a minimum of 2 years. Imagine if players in the NBA could just up and left every single year when they wanted. It would ruin the NBA and that's what's happening here.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2023 09:51 AM by memphis mania.)
04-24-2023 09:50 AM
2021 Tiger Football!! Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Guess his NIL money wasn’t what he expected for next year.
04-24-2023 10:00 AM
gusrob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS - My Alma Mater
We're seeing the outcome of NCAA sports going 100% about money. It's sad. I like J.Law and hate that he might leave, but it is what it is.
04-24-2023 10:01 AM
true_blue_thru_and_thru Offline
All American

I Root For: The Tigers
(04-24-2023 09:50 AM)memphis mania Wrote:  Honestly, for the first time in over 30 years, I'm genuinely losing interest in college basketball. No stability now. I'm all for players getting paid and being able to play where they want, but there has got to be some sort of rule that when you commit to a school you are committed for a minimum of 2 years. Imagine if players in the NBA could just up and left every single year when they wanted. It would ruin the NBA and that's what's happening here.

You have every right to an opinion so I'm not saying you're wrong but why does a guy being forced to be somewhere he doesn't want to be heighten your interest? Their scholarships are year to year so why should they be held to a higher standard than a coach or an AD or a regular student for that matter? Again, everybody is free to feel how they want to feel I just don't see why guys moving around more should equate to me not cheering for my alma mater or enjoying its success less. JMO
04-24-2023 10:19 AM
Advertisement

DDrum1961 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
(04-24-2023 10:00 AM)2021 Tiger Football!! Wrote:  Guess his NIL money wasn’t what he expected for next year.

or his playing time ... Penny's bringing in a lot of Wings again ...
04-24-2023 10:31 AM
2021 Tiger Football!! Offline
Special Teams

(04-24-2023 10:19 AM)true_blue_thru_and_thru Wrote:  
(04-24-2023 09:50 AM)memphis mania Wrote:  Honestly, for the first time in over 30 years, I'm genuinely losing interest in college basketball. No stability now. I'm all for players getting paid and being able to play where they want, but there has got to be some sort of rule that when you commit to a school you are committed for a minimum of 2 years. Imagine if players in the NBA could just up and left every single year when they wanted. It would ruin the NBA and that's what's happening here.

You have every right to an opinion so I'm not saying you're wrong but why does a guy being forced to be somewhere he doesn't want to be heighten your interest? Their scholarships are year to year so why should they be held to a higher standard than a coach or an AD or a regular student for that matter? Again, everybody is free to feel how they want to feel I just don't see why guys moving around more should equate to me not cheering for my alma mater or enjoying its success less. JMO

We don’t know if Penny told him to take a hike or if it’s his greed wanting more NIL. We may never know.
The constant turnover of rosters definitely makes it hard to give a damn.
Unless we are going deep into the tourney. Then everything is fine.
04-24-2023 10:32 AM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

It was odd the way J Lawson would come in for a few minutes and then return to the bench, not to re-enter the game again.
I wonder if this is related.
04-24-2023 10:38 AM
memphis mania Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

First off, please don’t attempt to box me in as some old fart that is mad that these players are able to have more freedom. Because I can assure you, I am not that. I argued till I was blue in the face that college players should be paid and have more freedom.

We all want a great and healthy college sports system. Guys moving around year to year creates instability within and therefore less interest amongst fans. It's why in the NBA, NFL and other professional sports have a system in which players (for the big majority) are not moving around year to year. So, when you create less interest like this, it in turns hurts the players. (Less revenue etc.) There has to be some sort of balance and system in place, otherwise it will fall apart.

Honestly, they just should just call it what it is. A semi-professional organization. I have no qualms with that. Have multi - year contracts for players like they do in professional sports that creates incentive for them wanting to stay at their school. Because having a whole new team every year is probably not the answer. As I previously stated, the NBA, NFL of MLB would not be as popular as it is if 80% of the team left out every year.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2023 10:48 AM by memphis mania.)
04-24-2023 10:41 AM
pmantiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(04-24-2023 10:38 AM)holyterror Wrote:  It was odd the way J Lawson would come in for a few minutes and then return to the bench, not to re-enter the game again.
I hate to lose him because he can shoot the rock. However, you almost have to play zone when he is in or you will have guys blowing by him to the basket. I am not sure that is correctable. Lateral quickness has been a pretty big issue for all of the Lawsons unfortunately. KJ was probably the best from that perspective. But again, I am disappointed that he is leaving.
04-24-2023 10:54 AM
Advertisement

cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

I think he would have been a nice player for the Tigers in the long run. To me this move was premature by the Lawson’s, but whatever. I don’t know all of the factors, so I guess I’ll bite my tongue. Seems typical though.
04-24-2023 11:14 AM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-24-2023 11:14 AM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  I think he would have been a nice player for the Tigers in the long run. To me this move was premature by the Lawson’s, but whatever. I don’t know all of the factors, so I guess I’ll bite my tongue. Seems typical though.

I agree. I think he needs to physically mature and continue increasing his basketball IQ. He could be a strong player if he is developed.
04-24-2023 11:15 AM
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Ligers
Lol. He was TOO slow and unathletic like most of the Lawsons...

Y'all griping like this departure is a negative. About time Penny got serious about making the team in the imagine he'd like to see.

Can't play the style he envisions with slow, unathletic players. Duhh
04-24-2023 11:21 AM
HardBall Fan Offline
Bench Warmer

3.4 points per game and a non-factor on defense isn't much of a loss. He may blossom somewhere else. And good for him if he does. I hope he does.
04-24-2023 11:22 AM
dwash Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(04-24-2023 11:21 AM)CUSA_NEWS Wrote:  Lol. He was TOO slow and unathletic like most of the Lawsons...

Y'all griping like this departure is a negative. About time Penny got serious about making the team in the imagine he'd like to see.

Can't play the style he envisions with slow, unathletic players. Duhh

He could shoot though. Dont hurt to have some players that teams actually have to stay attached too at the line.
04-24-2023 11:33 AM
Advertisement

heyradio Offline
2nd String

(04-24-2023 10:41 AM)memphis mania Wrote:  

First off, please don’t attempt to box me in as some old fart that is mad that these players are able to have more freedom. Because I can assure you, I am not that. I argued till I was blue in the face that college players should be paid and have more freedom.

We all want a great and healthy college sports system. Guys moving around year to year creates instability within and therefore less interest amongst fans. It's why in the NBA, NFL and other professional sports have a system in which players (for the big majority) are not moving around year to year. So, when you create less interest like this, it in turns hurts the players. (Less revenue etc.) There has to be some sort of balance and system in place, otherwise it will fall apart.

Honestly, they just should just call it what it is. A semi-professional organization. I have no qualms with that. Have multi - year contracts for players like they do in professional sports that creates incentive for them wanting to stay at their school. Because having a whole new team every year is probably not the answer. As I previously stated, the NBA, NFL of MLB would not be as popular as it is if 80% of the team left out every year.

Players having multi-year contracts is exactly where all of this is heading.
04-24-2023 11:51 AM
Browning Hall Offline
All American

I Root For: Mayhem

The way I see this is that the coach and AD sign contracts. There are penalties for either side if those contracts are broken. A regular student pays tuition and receives an education in return for as long as they want to attend and progress. Huge differences.

A student-athlete is not a regular student. They are typically offered a free ride in exchange for a commitment to the program. Most aren’t ready to hit the floor running and the coach makes an investment in their development. If the student-athlete chooses to not honor said commitment and up and leaves after one year it’s a wasted investment. The school, coach and team suffer consequences but the student-athlete does not.

There are varying degrees of accountability and commitment for almost everyone mentioned here. The school, the AD, the coach, the professor and the regular student. Only one is missing.
04-24-2023 12:11 PM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-24-2023 10:54 AM)pmantiger Wrote:  
(04-24-2023 10:38 AM)holyterror Wrote:  It was odd the way J Lawson would come in for a few minutes and then return to the bench, not to re-enter the game again.
I hate to lose him because he can shoot the rock. However, you almost have to play zone when he is in or you will have guys blowing by him to the basket. I am not sure that is correctable. Lateral quickness has been a pretty big issue for all of the Lawsons unfortunately. KJ was probably the best from that perspective. But again, I am disappointed that he is leaving.

I agree. I hate it because I think he could have grown into an important contributor for us.
04-24-2023 12:21 PM
HiTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: UoM
Not surprised from the Lawsons, wouldn't be shocked to see Chandler go as well
04-24-2023 12:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.