Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Basketball Offseason 2023
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
Basketball Offseason 2023
Thought it would be good to go ahead and start this thread. Lots of questions to be answered this off season. Here are the big ones in my mind.

1. Who is out? We know we have 3 scholarship players (and big contributors) out in Carry, Jacobs, and Thomas. Who else, if any, transfer? So far it's been all quiet, at least as far as I've seen, which seems like a good thing.

2. Who is in? We know we have two incoming freshman in Hunter and Hayes. We know we have 2 scholarship redshirts that will be active in Moss and Bekelja. Then there are the three redshirted walk-ons Carpenter, Maiden, and Entenmann. If nothing changes that is one scholarship to fill before any defections. If the plan was for one of the walk-ons to pay their way for one year then be put on scholarship (Carpenter?) then maybe we don't have any scholarships to fill.

3. Who guards the opponent's best perimeter player? I think most would agree if the season started today Rollins would be the leading candidate. But he's not a lock playing starters minutes. There's almost no way that we'll be as good defensively at least on the perimeter so whoever steps up here could have a path to big minutes.

4. Who becomes the guy on offense? Senderoff's offenses tend to be based on giving the ball to your star and letting him cook. There's been plenty of fair criticism about this ISO system being ugly, but it is what it is. He's a defensive coach whose roots all the way back to his beginnings have been under defensive minded coaches. So I don't see it changing. Just about every team Sendy has had has been defined by at least 1 usually 2 high usage stars. Hall, Walker, Pippen, Williams, Carry, Jacobs. The successful teams have seen guys in those roles that can still be efficient and can make players around them better. Who do we have that's capable of stepping into a role like that? In my opinion Sullinger is the top candidate as he's a strong penetrator. Payton is also a strong candidate especially since his game compliments Sullinger's. I'm not sure about Gio. He's not really a guy that creates for himself. So while he will be an important piece I'm not sure I see him becoming a high usage player.

5. What does the offense become? In my opinion with what we have coming back we're going to need to improve at three point shooting and have a large number of assists for the offense to be good enough.

6. What does the coaching staff look like? Will there be any changes? Seasons like we've had over the last two tend to get coaches jobs and we all know our assistants aren't paid very well.

7. Who is going to be our stretch 4? Sendy likes 4s that shoot 3s. Carpenter and Hunter look like the most likely on paper. Maybe one of the more established guys like Payton or Gillespie can develop a three? Maybe VCD spends more time at the 4? Maybe we add someone?
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2023 11:18 AM by anti-zip.)
04-01-2023 09:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Muskrat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
RE: Basketball Offseason 2023
Good post, ant-zip. I just want to note that Senderoff said that he was looking to add some transfers and that he thought that they could get some good ones because of their success. I really don't know how that may affect the numbers game, which always gets confusing.
04-01-2023 12:57 PM
bopol Offline
All American

I Root For:
The coaching staff is so good that I can't help but think someone will be poached. I would think that Sullinger would be getting consideration for head coaching jobs at D2 and low D1 in the area. I can't really blame anyone for leaving for a better position and hopefully we just reload when they move on.
04-01-2023 04:00 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

(04-01-2023 12:57 PM)Muskrat Wrote:  Good post, ant-zip. I just want to note that Senderoff said that he was looking to add some transfers and that he thought that they could get some good ones because of their success. I really don't know how that may affect the numbers game, which always gets confusing.

Good to know. I didn't see that quote. That leads me to believe that he's expecting at least two spots to fill. It's always nice to be able to capitalize on a good season with open spots in April.
04-01-2023 06:20 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

(04-01-2023 06:20 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  
(04-01-2023 12:57 PM)Muskrat Wrote:  Good post, ant-zip. I just want to note that Senderoff said that he was looking to add some transfers and that he thought that they could get some good ones because of their success. I really don't know how that may affect the numbers game, which always gets confusing.

Good to know. I didn't see that quote. That leads me to believe that he's expecting at least two spots to fill. It's always nice to be able to capitalize on a good season with open spots in April.

I was actually trying to find the quotation. It was in a newspaper item the day after the Indiana loss, or perhaps two days after. But I couldn't find it.
04-01-2023 06:22 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(04-01-2023 09:37 AM)anti-zip Wrote:  Thought it would be good to go ahead and start this thread. Lots of questions to be answered this off season. Here are the big ones in my mind.

1. Who is out? We know we have 3 scholarship players (and big contributors) out in Carry, Jacobs, and Thomas. Who else, if any, transfer? So far it's been all quiet, at least as far as I've seen, which seems like a good thing.

2. Who is in? We know we have two incoming freshman in Hunter and Hayes. We know we have 2 scholarship redshirts that will be active in Moss and Bekelja. Then there are the three redshirted walk-ons Carpenter, Maiden, and Entenmann. If nothing changes that is one scholarship to fill before any defections. If the plan was for one of the walk-ons to pay their way for one year then be put on scholarship (Carpenter?) then maybe we don't have any scholarships to fill.

3. Who guards the opponent's best perimeter player? I think most would agree if the season started today Rollins would be the leading candidate. But he's not a lock playing starters minutes. There's almost no way that we'll be as good defensively at least on the perimeter so whoever steps up here could have a path to big minutes.

4. Who becomes the guy on offense? Senderoff's offenses tend to be based on giving the ball to your star and letting him cook. There's been plenty of fair criticism about this ISO system being ugly, but it is what it is. He's a defensive coach whose roots all the way back to his beginnings have been under defensive minded coaches. So I don't see it changing. Just about every team Sendy has had has been defined by at least 1 usually 2 high usage stars. Hall, Walker, Pippen, Williams, Carry, Jacobs. The successful teams have seen guys in those roles that can still be efficient and can make players around them better. Who do we have that's capable of stepping into a role like that? In my opinion Sullinger is the top candidate as he's a strong penetrator. Payton is also a strong candidate especially since his game compliments Sullinger's. I'm not sure about Gio. He's not really a guy that creates for himself. So while he will be an important piece I'm not sure I see him becoming a high usage player.

5. What does the offense become? In my opinion with what we have coming back we're going to need to improve at three point shooting and have a large number of assists for the offense to be good enough.

6. What does the coaching staff look like? Will there be any changes? Seasons like we've had over the last two tend to get coaches jobs and we all know our assistants aren't paid very well.

7. Who is going to be our stretch 4? Sendy likes 4s that shoot 3s. Carpenter and Hunter look like the most likely on paper. Maybe one of the more established guys like Payton or Gillespie can develop a three? Maybe VCD spends more time at the 4? Maybe we add someone?

Based on the players already on the roster I'd expect Kent to be more of an inside dominant team. Adding Carpenter on the baseline with Hornbeak and Payton should be a solid trio ... and here's hoping Gillespie gets solidly in that mix as well. I really like his upside.

Sendy always seems to recruit a 3-point shooter, but other than Jalen Avery, Gio and now Sullinger not many have developed other parts of their game enough warrant big minutes. Gio and Sullinger will need a strong perimeter scorer with them to take some of the pressure off, and there does not seem to be one on the roster at the moment.

The kid from Akron seems like a Rollins clone which indicates a redshirt, and while the Columbus kid has a rep as a shooter, don't know if (a) there is much more to his game or (b) if he can defend/rebound from the perimeter or if he is strictly a baseline guy.

One thing a coach told me holds true when it comes to freshmen: "Coaches recruit you for the things you can do (shoot/size) but sit you on the bench for the things you can't do (defend/rebound)." ... This seems to hod true particularly for shooters at KSU. Scorers (Carry, Walker) seem to find their niche a bit quicker, probably because they defend/rebound enough to stay on the floor through 'some' early mistakes.

As you say ... lots of questions.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2023 07:07 PM by cleveland.)
04-01-2023 06:59 PM
Advertisement

cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(04-01-2023 06:59 PM)cleveland Wrote:  
(04-01-2023 09:37 AM)anti-zip Wrote:  Thought it would be good to go ahead and start this thread. Lots of questions to be answered this off season. Here are the big ones in my mind.

Based on the players already on the roster I'd expect Kent to be more of an inside dominant team. Adding Carpenter on the baseline with Hornbeak and Payton should be a solid trio ... and here's hoping Gillespie gets solidly in that mix as well. I really like his upside.

Sendy always seems to recruit a 3-point shooter, but other than Jalen Avery, Gio and now Sullinger not many have developed other parts of their game enough warrant big minutes. Gio and Sullinger will need a strong perimeter scorer with them to take some of the pressure off, and there does not seem to be one on the roster at the moment.

The kid from Akron seems like a Rollins clone which indicates a redshirt, and while the Columbus kid has a rep as a shooter, don't know if (a) there is much more to his game or (b) if he can defend/rebound from the perimeter or if he is strictly a baseline guy.

One thing a coach told me holds true when it comes to freshmen: "Coaches recruit you for the things you can do (shoot/size) but sit you on the bench for the things you can't do (defend/rebound)." ... This seems to hod true particularly for shooters at KSU. Scorers (Carry, Walker) seem to find their niche a bit quicker, probably because they defend/rebound enough to stay on the floor through 'some' early mistakes.

ONE FINAL THOUGHT ....

None of Sendy's teams have really come together until he has settled in on his point guard .... (remember what Kent looked like before Sendy gave the keys to Avery ... and how Kent seemed to sputter before DJack stepped up).

Gio/Sully will play big minutes, but Sully in particular I can't see as a 30-minute PG. I'll reserve judgement on Gio. I think he can hold the fort during non-con next season but after that, Sendy should be locked in on his PG ... whoever that is. (And no, it's not Carry's brother).
04-01-2023 07:22 PM
Old Man Flash Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-01-2023 07:22 PM)cleveland Wrote:  

ONE FINAL THOUGHT ....

None of Sendy's teams have really come together until he has settled in on his point guard .... (remember what Kent looked like before Sendy gave the keys to Avery ... and how Kent seemed to sputter before DJack stepped up).

Gio/Sully will play big minutes, but Sully in particular I can't see as a 30-minute PG. I'll reserve judgement on Gio. I think he can hold the fort during non-con next season but after that, Sendy should be locked in on his PG ... whoever that is. (And no, it's not Carry's brother).

I would think they Gio will be the primary PG with the Sully at the 2 slot. Shortest backcourt maybe ever but they are both too good not to have them on the floor at the same time.
04-02-2023 06:42 AM
anti-zip Offline
All American

(04-02-2023 06:42 AM)Old Man Flash Wrote:  
(04-01-2023 07:22 PM)cleveland Wrote:  

ONE FINAL THOUGHT ....

I would think they Gio will be the primary PG with the Sully at the 2 slot. Shortest backcourt maybe ever but they are both too good not to have them on the floor at the same time.

I realize guards are bigger today than they were 20 years ago, but Mitchell and Huffman were 5'11" and 6'1". Sully and Gio are 5'10" and 6'1".
04-02-2023 02:34 PM
Albert Flasher Offline
2nd String

Another factor with portal transfers is the NIL money. Not only are NIL dollars being offered for endorsements, social media, personal appearances, and other activities. Schools are now getting into a bidding war as groups such alumni organizations putting up money under the guise of NIL to lure transfers.

#GoFlashes
04-02-2023 05:09 PM
thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
Rob Senderoff extended for additional 3 years
04-06-2023 07:56 AM
Advertisement

bopol Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-06-2023 07:56 AM)thanksjim Wrote:  Rob Senderoff extended for additional 3 years

03-thumbsup
04-06-2023 10:03 AM
anti-zip Offline
All American

Nice! First news of the off season is good news!
04-06-2023 11:12 AM
fordflash25 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: KSU
04-06-2023 11:25 AM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

I think there is a good chance that Senderoff will be the first head basketball coach at Kent State to retire from Kent State since Jim Mcdonald over 30 years ago.
04-06-2023 05:25 PM
Musselman77 Offline
Water Engineer

I think, if I’m figuring right, if Sendy is here for another six years, and we average 22 wins a season, he would become the MAC’s all-time winningest coach, surpassing Bob Nichols’ 377 wins.
04-06-2023 06:07 PM
Advertisement

GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
Well deserved. I have thought that Rob is the best all around coach in the MAC for years. He can be very proud of his work here.
04-06-2023 08:21 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

MAC Freshman of the year Reggie Bass, 6'4" SG from CMU appears to be coming to Kent. That two point percentage leaves a lot to be desired but he was only a freshman.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla...ass-2.html

https://twitter.com/BassReggie23?ref_src...r%5Eauthor
04-12-2023 09:37 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
This is a huge get. He averaged 25 pts in his last 5 or 6 games. In one game, he had 40pts. He will play in a better system at Kent and will be more efficient. I am ready for the season now.
04-12-2023 10:58 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

Obviously, it's good for the basketball program. But I'm uneasy about transfers within a conference. At least at one time some conferences had rules that if one transferred, he couldn't get a scholarship. It suppose what makes me uneasy is the trend towards the creation of a "super team". We've seen that in the NBA and it has been very common at the high school level for years. I mean, it's great if your school becomes the the "super team", but horrible if it isn't.
04-13-2023 07:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.