Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Haven’t posted or commented in years.
Bookmark and Share
Tigerfan935 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
And now I remember why. Some of y’all are pathetic, absolute embarrassment, and ruined this forum years ago. The toxicity, man. I feel sorry for some of your spouses.
03-18-2023 10:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
It's a day for TOGC on twitter

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
03-18-2023 11:23 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
RE: Haven’t posted or commented in years.
Well what’s really needed here is a cooling off period. Imo. Plus I think a lot of us and I’ll throw myself in there take sports too seriously. It’s become a sort of false idol for me for sure. I know I need to focus on other things like my faith and my family. And I will try to do that from now on.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2023 11:26 AM by Eagleonpar.)
03-18-2023 11:25 AM
UofMTigerTim Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(03-18-2023 11:25 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  Well what’s really needed here is a cooling off period. Imo. Plus I think a lot of us and I’ll throw myself in there take sports too seriously. It’s become a sort of false idol for me for sure. I know I need to focus on other things like my family. And I will try to do that from now on.

That's what I have been doing since us losing the National Championship. After that loss I pledged to not take sports so serious. I still always root for the Tigers and do follow the scores but most games I still cannot watch. The wins and never enough and the loses are crushing. I hate that I can't enjoy rooting for my Alma Mater like I used too but hey, it's just sports.
03-18-2023 11:30 AM
mempho_to_diego Offline
2 legit 2 quit

Some folks take sports way too seriously. Get outside, go for a walk.
03-18-2023 11:35 AM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
(03-18-2023 11:25 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  Well what’s really needed here is a cooling off period. Imo. Plus I think a lot of us and I’ll throw myself in there take sports too seriously. It’s become a sort of false idol for me for sure. I know I need to focus on other things like my faith and my family. And I will try to do that from now on.

Sports in societies always evolves, as it did in Ancient Greece, Rome, etc. It begins as something done for exercise and entertainment, and becomes something done solely for reward. That's where we are now.

Pro sports is unwatchable now. College sports is getting that way. It's hard to view some of the horrific officiating and not believe it is influenced toward a certain outcome. Given all of this, I now view team sports differently.

There is little doubt in my mind that the terrible officiating was not also influenced by money. However, it's not just our games, it's across the board. So for me, such crushing and inexplicable performances like yesterday hurt far less than they used to, because the sport is not what it once was.
03-18-2023 11:40 AM
Advertisement

tpaw09 Offline
1st String

(03-18-2023 11:35 AM)mempho_to_diego Wrote:  Some folks take sports way too seriously. Get outside, go for a walk.

Totally agree. Find a hobby
03-18-2023 11:47 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
(03-18-2023 11:40 AM)TigerBill Wrote:  
(03-18-2023 11:25 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  Well what’s really needed here is a cooling off period. Imo. Plus I think a lot of us and I’ll throw myself in there take sports too seriously. It’s become a sort of false idol for me for sure. I know I need to focus on other things like my faith and my family. And I will try to do that from now on.

Sports in societies always evolves, as it did in Ancient Greece, Rome, etc. It begins as something done for exercise and entertainment, and becomes something done solely for reward. That's where we are now.

Pro sports is unwatchable now. College sports is getting that way. It's hard to view some of the horrific officiating and not believe it is influenced toward a certain outcome. Given all of this, I now view team sports differently.

There is little doubt in my mind that the terrible officiating was not also influenced by money. However, it's not just our games, it's across the board. So for me, such crushing and inexplicable performances like yesterday hurt far less than they used to, because the sport is not what it once was.

Then problem is two things

1. Perception. I go back to when the Missouri Valley conference was the best top to bottom basketball conference in the country. Wasn’t just us and Louisville either. Bradley , Drake, Wichita I think even New Mexico St all made final 4s. For a few years there if you won the Valley you were probably going to the final 4. But somewhere along the line it became about Big State U and the money.

Which brings me to problem two which is

2. It’s a business now. Everything is done for what’s good for business. It’s why we can’t get into a power league. And I know many here will bash me but it’s all to do with demographics. Which is money based. We always want to blame the administration. We could have Zig Zigler selling for us and it wouldn’t matter. But why is it I only get an email wanting me to donate when we win? I didn’t get one last night
03-18-2023 11:50 AM
TigerBill Offline

Donators
(03-18-2023 11:50 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  

1. Perception. I go back to when the Missouri Valley conference was the best top to bottom basketball conference in the country. Wasn’t just us and Louisville either. Bradley , Drake, Wichita I think even New Mexico St all made final 4s. For a few years there if you won the Valley you were probably going to the final 4. But somewhere along the line it became about Big State U and the money.

2. It’s a business now. Everything is done for what’s good for business. It’s why we can’t get into a power league. And I know many here will bash me but it’s all to do with demographics. Which is money based. We always want to blame the administration. We could have Zig Zigler selling for us and it wouldn’t matter. But why is it I only get an email wanting me to donate when we win? I didn’t get one last night

Correct.
03-18-2023 12:03 PM
UofMTigerTim Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(03-18-2023 11:50 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  

Can't argue with that. Spot on.
03-18-2023 12:10 PM
true_blue_thru_and_thru Offline
All American

I Root For: The Tigers
(03-18-2023 11:47 AM)tpaw09 Wrote:  
(03-18-2023 11:35 AM)mempho_to_diego Wrote:  Some folks take sports way too seriously. Get outside, go for a walk.

Yep, after losing in to KU I pretty much had to readjust my fandom. It shocked me how depressed as I was after that. Told myself no way could I let an essentially child’s game affect me that much again. Don’t get me wrong, it irks me when we lose, specially to a team I think we’re better then but life is just way to short to get over emotional. JMO
03-18-2023 12:20 PM
Advertisement

bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
(03-18-2023 11:47 AM)tpaw09 Wrote:  

100% true BUT what goes along with stepping back from being so fanatic about your team is that it matters less - is less important to you - doesn't ruin your day or week when your team loses and / or gets jobbed which leads to - putting your time, emotional energy, and MONEY into another hobby. All being a sports fan means is making rooting for, watching, and financially supporting your team your 'hobby' since none of us are actually on the team or on staff.

So being less FANATICAL about your team generally means finding other outlets for your time, passion, and MONEY. Can't have it both ways with most folks particularly with how completely ridiculous the costs of being a 'real' fan costs these days (tickets / travel / parking / concessions/ scholarship fund donations / and now NIL donations).

The salaries high level coaches get paid gave gone into orbit. They are now have celebrity status and make so much money that it's unrelatable to the 'common' person.
03-18-2023 12:22 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation

pro sports is entertainment....and as entertainment...it can be fixed.
I've watched enough NBA and NFL games to know that that is an ironclad truth.
03-18-2023 12:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
barneysrevenge Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: AAC teams & Hou
(03-18-2023 11:30 AM)UofMTigerTim Wrote:  
(03-18-2023 11:25 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  Well what’s really needed here is a cooling off period. Imo. Plus I think a lot of us and I’ll throw myself in there take sports too seriously. It’s become a sort of false idol for me for sure. I know I need to focus on other things like my family. And I will try to do that from now on.

That's what I have been doing since us losing the National Championship. After that loss I pledged to not take sports so serious. I still always root for the Tigers and do follow the scores but most games I still cannot watch. The wins and never enough and the loses are crushing. I hate that I can't enjoy rooting for my Alma Mater like I used too but hey, it's just sports.
__-------_------------------
I enjoy college sports, and also have given up on pro sports., Except for minor league baseball and the xfl I don't watch college games on the tube but regularly attend the events. Tailgating is fun and one should enjoy the game. Losses make me appreciate the big wins that eventually come.
I am not a Tiger alum, but really like the AAC and its P6 goal. Sorry about the early loss, but was hoping Memphis would go deep in the tournament. Good luck guys.
03-18-2023 01:48 PM
grapes Offline
GTG

I Root For: MEMPHIS/AAC
We lose one of the more important games in over a decade and our fans are saying get a hobby to get over it.

If you're a fan and this crushes you then it's okay and there is nothing wrong with you. You aren't alone in this feeling and you don't need to "care about a child's game less" because of it.

For many Tiger fans this is so much more than just a basketball game. I personally think that's what makes our school fan base elite.

I wouldn't want it any other way.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2023 02:06 PM by grapes.)
03-18-2023 02:06 PM
TigerBill Offline

Donators
(03-18-2023 02:06 PM)grapes Wrote:  We lose one of the more important games in over a decade and our fans are saying get a hobby to get over it.

If you're a fan and this crushes you then it's okay and there is nothing wrong with you. You aren't alone in this feeling and you don't need to "care about a child's game less" because of it.

For many Tiger fans this is so much more than just a basketball game. I personally think that's what makes our school fan base elite.

I wouldn't want it any other way.

**** off. I'll deal with it anyway I damned well please.
03-18-2023 02:57 PM
Advertisement

gusrob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS - My Alma Mater
It’s truly amazing
03-18-2023 03:11 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

My biggest problem with officiating is that they are independent contractors in college. In college basketball if they're flying around doing as many games as they "think" they can handle (I've seen it said as many as six games in a week) then there is plenty of reason to believe that fatigue will affect their awareness and decision making.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2023 03:32 PM by Alanda.)
03-18-2023 03:31 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama

Well said, I agree on all points.
03-18-2023 03:57 PM
memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
Ike agrees with Tiger Bill and will add the transfer portal and nil will eventually destroy college sports
03-18-2023 04:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.