UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB women vs. UNT - CUSA tournament
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
RE: UAB women vs. UNT - CUSA tournament
(03-17-2023 11:19 AM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  It's what I was told by someone involved with UAB athletics when I asked for an off the record update on what was going on with a football player that had entered his name in the portal.

I remember Mark Ingram doing an interview where he said it was his stance that anybody entering the portal is treated like they're off the team...he didn't want them hanging around poisoning the locker room. But he made it sound like that was his decision (which is consistent with the way I understand it. Most teams treat the player like they are off the team, but that's the schools' decision)

(again, I don't really keep up with such things very well, so don't count me as an official source)
03-17-2023 11:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bftb Offline
Go Blazers!

I Root For: UAB
(03-17-2023 11:25 AM)LairDweller Wrote:  
(03-17-2023 11:19 AM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  It's what I was told by someone involved with UAB athletics when I asked for an off the record update on what was going on with a football player that had entered his name in the portal.

I remember Mark Ingram doing an interview where he said it was his stance that anybody entering the portal is treated like they're off the team...he didn't want them hanging around poisoning the locker room. But he made it sound like that was his decision (which is consistent with the way I understand it. Most teams treat the player like they are off the team, but that's the schools' decision)

(again, I don't really keep up with such things very well, so don't count me as an official source)

I have no idea whether it's an NCAA rule thing or not, but I am in agreement with Mark's stance. You don't want to be here?...Well, bye. You're gone.
03-17-2023 11:26 AM
ICB Offline
Heisman

(03-17-2023 08:50 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  I like HCRN but at some point they need to turn the corner. I know they had a really good team the COVID year and could have won it. Biggest thing I see is if you think the Men's OOC is weak, take a look at the Women's each year. To me it really stands out when they have to play top 100 teams. I do know for a fact that Mark has been told by the AAC that our football OOC schedule must improve. I wonder if anything was said about the other sports?

If you have to split the thread, that's cool, however I'd like to know that improve the OOC schedule means? Tougher? More quality home opponents?
03-17-2023 11:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(03-17-2023 11:26 AM)ICB Wrote:  
(03-17-2023 08:50 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  I like HCRN but at some point they need to turn the corner. I know they had a really good team the COVID year and could have won it. Biggest thing I see is if you think the Men's OOC is weak, take a look at the Women's each year. To me it really stands out when they have to play top 100 teams. I do know for a fact that Mark has been told by the AAC that our football OOC schedule must improve. I wonder if anything was said about the other sports?

If you have to split the thread, that's cool, however I'd like to know that improve the OOC schedule means? Tougher? More quality home opponents?

Me too. Looks like getting rid of the FCS game may have to happen?
03-17-2023 12:13 PM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

I do not think the FCS will be cut — most AAC teams play at least one — but I think there will be more emphasis on getting p5 home and homes and to try to schedule more “winnable” money games rather than always going to monster programs. If you go look at composite AAC schedules from recent years you will see teams like Indiana, Kansas, Texas Tech, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Mississippi State, etc. You don’t see games at Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, Georgia.
03-17-2023 01:03 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
It would be nice if we pulled that off. I hate our current scheduling because of the slaughter game.
03-17-2023 01:40 PM
1BLZR1 Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-17-2023 10:23 AM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  
Quote:HOLY CRAP, I see Emily’s bio is no longer listed with the rest of this year’s team on the UAB website although the departing seniors’ bios are still there.
I don’t understand this at all.

Quote:Thank you for that background info. Yes, I had gone to the UAB website to find out more about her, and her bio was wiped clean. That was quick and apparently permanent. Who knows?

Once someone enters their name into the portal they are no longer on the team according to the NCAA. That means we have to treat them like any other potential recruit that is not on the team. We cant talk about them publicly, that would be tampering. We cant let them use our facilities, that would an impermissible benefit. We basically have to pretend they arent here.

Thanks for the info. I would hate to think that Emily could have burned her bridges so badly that UAB wiped her existence from the website before the sun even went down. Maybe she did, but at least this might not be the case if it’s common practice.
So now we have three open scholarships, I believe, in addition to the two previous signees who have Denim/Des-level impact potential.
Even with that, Emily would have continued to have a positive impact on next year’s team. Like Margaret, Emily might not be the tallest or fastest, but she’s a natural leader who won’t be outworked and makes winning plays.
I’m really bummed by her entering the portal.
03-17-2023 02:02 PM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
(03-17-2023 01:03 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  I do not think the FCS will be cut — most AAC teams play at least one — but I think there will be more emphasis on getting p5 home and homes and to try to schedule more “winnable” money games rather than always going to monster programs. If you go look at composite AAC schedules from recent years you will see teams like Indiana, Kansas, Texas Tech, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Mississippi State, etc. You don’t see games at Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, Georgia.

Always been dumb to me that we try to play the best of the best in the SEC every. single. year. I realize we've caught UT on some relative down years, and played other middle of the pack SEC teams in the past, but most of the time - we are going up against UGA, Florida, LSU, every time.

Mens basketball and football have to improve their scheduling. It's been WOEFULLY bad for going on a decade or more.

Snap out of the small mindset. Make a schedule(s) commensurate with what we want our place in the college athletics world to be.
03-17-2023 02:42 PM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
It's done for budget reasons. If the choice is between playing Kentucky who will pay us 500k, or Georgia who will pay us 1.9 Million, we take the 1.9 million.

Not saying I agree, just saying that's why we do it.
03-17-2023 02:52 PM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

(03-17-2023 02:52 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  It's done for budget reasons. If the choice is between playing Kentucky who will pay us 500k, or Georgia who will pay us 1.9 Million, we take the 1.9 million.

Not saying I agree, just saying that's why we do it.

Now that there will be more revenue in the American, there is ability to adjust and make the math still work without a $2 million butt whipping. Of course, I would also like to see what happens if we show up not ready to wave the white flag 2 series in
03-17-2023 03:24 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
After the return we purposely scheduled the largest payday for one game and then tried to schedule 3 OOC wins to make sure we go bowling. Now that we are in the American with more revenue the push will be to overall strengthen the OOC schedule without a body bag game. More emphasis on getting P5 HH and winnable P5 road games games starting after five years out when our schedule opens up.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2023 03:32 PM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
03-17-2023 03:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

(03-17-2023 03:30 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  After the return we purposely scheduled the largest payday for one game and then tried to schedule 3 OOC wins to make sure we go bowling. Now that we are in the American with more revenue the push will be to overall strengthen the OOC schedule without a body bag game. More emphasis on getting P5 HH and winnable P5 road games games starting after five years out when our schedule opens up.

There are two home-and-homes on there that seem strange to me: UConn and Louisiana-Monroe. There are so many better things that could be done with those four slots, imo. Nothing against those schools -- I'd guess their fans probably feel the same way.
03-18-2023 03:34 PM
notnow Offline
1st String

You would think that a basketball game/series thrown in with the UConn game would have happened. ULM football games seem like a half court heave in desperation to schedule games. Is it/was it that hard to schedule football games? IIRC, we had out of conference games scheduled with Troy, BYU, Navy prior to the data driven decision to shutter the program.
03-18-2023 04:16 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
No it’s not hard to schedule football games from what I am told. We were going after wins.
03-18-2023 06:05 PM
ICB Offline
Heisman

(03-17-2023 03:30 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  After the return we purposely scheduled the largest payday for one game and then tried to schedule 3 OOC wins to make sure we go bowling. Now that we are in the American with more revenue the push will be to overall strengthen the OOC schedule without a body bag game. More emphasis on getting P5 HH and winnable P5 road games games starting after five years out when our schedule opens up.

This is going to to be increasing tougher to do as P5 conferences are now telling their member schools to avoid playing away games at G5 schools. Recently read this concerning the ACC.
03-18-2023 08:04 PM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
(03-18-2023 06:05 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  No it’s not hard to schedule football games from what I am told. We were going after wins.

I have long felt that part of the Clark scheduling philosophy was to "smoke and mirror" our way to 8+ win seasons by scheduling one murder SEC game plus three "should wins." It also helped that we played in the weakest FBS conference.

That's why my expectations for the Dilfer regime are somewhat different. I think 6-6, a bowl game, and a lot more tickets sold would be a huge win this year.
03-20-2023 09:04 AM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

In football, I think you’ll see the rotating series with Troy and USA (and maybe JAX State now), the rotating series with A&M and Alabama State as long as they are willing and then an effort to go with more mid-level P5s home and home along with the money game (but maybe just a notch lower on some of those. Honestly, I don’t mind playing Georgia, LSU, etc., but maybe not one of those every year. A few of them are good experiences, and if we are recruiting well, it gives players a chance to show they measure up.

I also think Mark will probably find some slots to play WKU, USM and maybe MTSU from time to time. Good competition, easy road trips
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2023 12:51 PM by DuelingDragon.)
03-20-2023 12:50 PM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(03-18-2023 08:04 PM)ICB Wrote:  

This is going to to be increasing tougher to do as P5 conferences are now telling their member schools to avoid playing away games at G5 schools. Recently read this concerning the ACC.

and most of the ACC membership told the conference office they would continue to scheduled as they saw fit.
03-20-2023 02:59 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

We will be upgrading our schedule in the future unless the AD changes his mind which is a good thing IMHO.
03-20-2023 06:54 PM
uabblazer2012 Offline
All American

I bet we never see a Power 5 team come to Birmingham again.
03-20-2023 09:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.