Kent State @ Eastern Michigan
fallsdog Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
RE: Kent State @ Eastern Michigan
15-3, 5-0. Got the job done. Nice win!

Big game Friday night…..gotta beat NIU.

Go Flashes!
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2023 09:15 PM by fallsdog.)
01-17-2023 09:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cleveland Online
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(01-17-2023 09:07 PM)fallsdog Wrote:  15-3, 5-0. Got the job done. Nice win!

Big game Friday night…..gotta beat NIU.

Go Flashes!

Not necessarily a complaint, because the defense is so solid ... but an observation just the same:

Starting to notice a lot of 2-3 minute scoring droughts in each half. Something to keep an eye on going forward.
01-17-2023 09:17 PM
cleveland Online
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(01-17-2023 07:01 PM)burden Wrote:  
(01-17-2023 06:50 PM)bopol Wrote:  
(01-17-2023 01:59 PM)burden Wrote:  
(01-16-2023 03:09 PM)bopol Wrote:  
(01-16-2023 12:42 PM)fallsdog Wrote:  Thanks GFlash68. If I could be reincarnated as Terry Pluto, Elton Alexander or Dave Carducci, I would take it. Those three guys were always my favorite writers from November to March. I still enjoy reading Pluto.

With regards to Cli’ron Hornbeak…it is fun to watch a post player develop over the course of his college career. It would be a pleasure to see him stick around and accept a leadership role over the next couple years. -- speaking strictly of KSUMAC coverage.

I'd go with Hal Lebowitz being my favorite. You're doing great stuff, fallsdog.

I almost forgot that name. He was pretty good. Liked Chuck Heaton too.

Yes, I like Heaton too. In my opinion, things went downhill when Bud Shaw and Bill Livingston were hired on the PD side. I liked reading Pluto but my parents got the PD, not the ABJ, so I didn't see most of his work.

I agree on Livingston. Pretty much ignored him after awhile. Shaw I didn’t mind although I was probably influenced by watching him on the Les Levine TV show.

Say what you want about Livingston ... he definitely wrote more about Kent and traveled to a lot more games ... back when writers/columnists traveled with the teams. A lot more 'live' columns too.

Pluto always was a Dambrot/Akron guy until recently when he seems to have come around to Senderoff. -- Speaking just of KSU/MAC coverage.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2023 09:28 PM by cleveland.)
01-17-2023 09:23 PM
Muskrat Online
1st String

(01-17-2023 09:23 PM)cleveland Wrote:  
(01-17-2023 07:01 PM)burden Wrote:  
(01-17-2023 06:50 PM)bopol Wrote:  
(01-17-2023 01:59 PM)burden Wrote:  
(01-16-2023 03:09 PM)bopol Wrote:  I'd go with Hal Lebowitz being my favorite. You're doing great stuff, fallsdog.

I almost forgot that name. He was pretty good. Liked Chuck Heaton too.

Yes, I like Heaton too. In my opinion, things went downhill when Bud Shaw and Bill Livingston were hired on the PD side. I liked reading Pluto but my parents got the PD, not the ABJ, so I didn't see most of his work.

I agree on Livingston. Pretty much ignored him after awhile. Shaw I didn’t mind although I was probably influenced by watching him on the Les Levine TV show.

Say what you want about Livingston ... he definitely wrote more about Kent and traveled to a lot more games ... back when writers/columnists traveled with the teams. A lot more 'live' columns too.

Pluto always was a Dambrot/Akron guy until recently when he seems to have come around to Senderoff. -- Speaking just of KSU/MAC coverage.

Livingston showed more interest in Kent State basketball than anyone else, except for Alexander whose beat was the MAC. Pluto was a better writer before he found religion. I don't know if that was the cause, but he definitely lost his edge. And his interest in Kent State basketball was always pretty marginal.
01-17-2023 09:35 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

cleveland;

I agree with you. Livingston was all around solid. He wrote. People read. Just plain good

To your point about Pluto, true. But for me, even CSU or Akron coverage was/is better than OS freaking U. He has always been top notch.
01-17-2023 09:39 PM
bopol Online
All American

I Root For:
I don't mean to be rude about Livingston or Shaw. I just found Livingston to be far too negative in the early days with the PD and kind of started ignoring him. Shaw, well, I never found that compelling compared to Lebowitz or Heaton. Honestly, this is drawing on 25 year old views because I haven't gotten a newspaper in 25 years. It's weird to think about going to the kitchen table for breakfast reading through the sports page when that just isn't a thing anymore.
01-17-2023 11:12 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

Beat Ball State, that is.
01-18-2023 06:10 AM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
So the number one criterion for a sportswriter is how well he covers Kent State?? I think how they covered the Cleveland pro teams might be a tad more relevant!!
01-18-2023 08:43 AM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-17-2023 11:12 PM)bopol Wrote:  I don't mean to be rude about Livingston or Shaw. I just found Livingston to be far too negative in the early days with the PD and kind of started ignoring him. Shaw, well, I never found that compelling compared to Lebowitz or Heaton. Honestly, this is drawing on 25 year old views because I haven't gotten a newspaper in 25 years. It's weird to think about going to the kitchen table for breakfast reading through the sports page when that just isn't a thing anymore.

I don’t read the papers either but writing is writing whether it’s the newspaper, cleveland.com, the Athletic, ESPN, etc.
01-18-2023 08:45 AM
Muskrat Online
1st String

(01-18-2023 08:43 AM)burden Wrote:  So the number one criterion for a sportswriter is how well he covers Kent State?? I think how they covered the Cleveland pro teams might be a tad more relevant!!

Of course it isn't Burden, but my comments were made based on the assumption that that is what was being discussed - Kent State coverage. The quality of "sports reporting", especially the printed form, has declined considerably over the decades for reasons much too numerous and complex to discuss in this forum. I for one would never have wanted the job even if I were qualified because there are always going to be too many disgruntled readers - either a writer is too much of a "homer", or not enough of a "homer".
01-18-2023 08:55 AM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-18-2023 08:55 AM)Muskrat Wrote:  
(01-18-2023 08:43 AM)burden Wrote:  So the number one criterion for a sportswriter is how well he covers Kent State?? I think how they covered the Cleveland pro teams might be a tad more relevant!!

Of course it isn't Burden, but my comments were made based on the assumption that that is what was being discussed - Kent State coverage. The quality of "sports reporting", especially the printed form, has declined considerably over the decades for reasons much too numerous and complex to discuss in this forum. I for one would never have wanted the job even if I were qualified because there are always going to be too many disgruntled readers - either a writer is too much of a "homer", or not enough of a "homer".

Fair enough.
01-18-2023 09:08 AM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
Wow. That was a boring game if y'all are droning on about journalism.
01-18-2023 09:12 AM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Senderhoff is being interviewed between 8:30 and 9:00 Thursday on WTAM 1100AM (or is it 92.3 The Fan, hell getting old). Pretty sure it’s 1100 since that’s what I listen to most of the time between 6 and 7 AM.
01-18-2023 09:12 AM
Old Man Flash Offline
Bench Warmer

Couple of nice post ups by Hornbeak last night. Best I’ve seen from him. How about that breakaway jam? I’m yelling at the TV “give it up” but he got it down with authority!
01-18-2023 09:43 AM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
(01-18-2023 09:43 AM)Old Man Flash Wrote:  Couple of nice post ups by Hornbeak last night. Best I’ve seen from him. How about that breakaway jam? I’m yelling at the TV “give it up” but he got it down with authority!

Yeah he didn't exactly stick the landing. Was pretty worried he was hurt until he got up and the bench started laughing at him. But hey, everything before the landing looked great.
01-18-2023 12:42 PM
Muskrat Online
1st String

(01-17-2023 08:32 PM)Old Man Flash Wrote:  Defensive excellence and offensively offensive

I'm well aware of the quotation about lies, damned lies and statistics, but in conference games the Flashes are not the conference's best defensive team, statistically speaking. That honor belongs to Akron, in the majority of categories.
01-18-2023 07:33 PM
bopol Online
All American

I Root For:
(01-18-2023 09:12 AM)AlphaFlash Wrote:  Wow. That was a boring game if y'all are droning on about journalism.

Nah, I'm just weird.
01-18-2023 08:30 PM
bopol Online
All American

I Root For:
(01-18-2023 07:33 PM)Muskrat Wrote:  
(01-17-2023 08:32 PM)Old Man Flash Wrote:  Defensive excellence and offensively offensive

I'm well aware of the quotation about lies, damned lies and statistics, but in conference games the Flashes are not the conference's best defensive team, statistically speaking. That honor belongs to Akron, in the majority of categories.

Akron leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hairs.
01-18-2023 08:30 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Senderhoff is at 8:45 on WTAM 1100. They confirmed it this morning
01-19-2023 07:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.