Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference Game #1: Tulane @ UC (Game Thread)
Bookmark and Share
Hemond Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Conference Game #1: Tulane @ UC (Game Thread)
Great win for the Bearcats.

12-30-2022 06:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DownOnRohs Offline
Heisman

Great game MAW!!! Would love more Josh Reed

12-30-2022 08:02 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
So, it's now...

Cincinnati (1-0, 10-4)
Tulane (0-1, 7-5)

12-30-2022 08:12 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
Troy Caupain was solid as a rock as a Bearcat. Solid, dependable, great competitor, intelligent, team player, WINNER. He is missed.

12-30-2022 09:16 PM
JUSTGOPLAY Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CINCINNATI
(12-30-2022 12:28 PM)levydl Wrote:  Another game that was a lot of fun to attend. Tulane has a few players, and they were into it. Got heated at times.

This was probably MAW's best game as a Bearcat. He attacked on offense and scored and got guys looks. And he was great on D. Tulane was trying to exploit DDJ, but Mika was locking their little guard up.

Lahkin was flying all over on D and grabbed a bunch of rebounds and had a pretty quiet 13 points. Remarkable how good he is.

Nolley was hitting and scored 20-something, but he still plays so lax so often. Even in his good games it feels like he doesn't reach his potential.

DDJ with some big shots in the second half. He's having a fabulous year.

Love everything about Skillings except his shooting. He is long and agile and plays hard.

Ody was meh, although it was tough to play underneath this game with all the really soft foul calls in the lane.

You can see Davenport is really trying to be a team player in a lot of ways--going harder after rebounds and on D, looking for teammates and making some nice passes. But he just can't help himself taking bad shots or even decent looks super early in the shot clock. Wes seems relentlessly positive with him still.

I love the shorter rotation, the half court D, the way the offense really moves, how hard the guys play.

MAW can finish at the rim, which was something he could not do in the past. Lahkin had a ton of shots rim out, he would have had a 20 and 10 night with a little shooters luck. Nolley makes the guys around him better.I fear Davenport is gonna get the Ben Bryant treatment from here on out at home. While I agree that his shot selection can be aggravating at times, the kid don't deserve to get booed by grown men in his home gym. They booed Ben Bryant in Nippert, but we found out why they played him at QB instead of Prater. When they Boo Davenport at 5/3rd, there's a reason Wes is playing him the minutes he gets.

12-30-2022 10:04 PM
cincy11 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Sun
It was the best game of MAW’s career & a huge step in the right direction for him & the team.

For Mika, I still want to see that against top competition before making any type of determination about who he is as a player.

12-30-2022 10:26 PM
RuckleSt Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(12-30-2022 10:04 PM)JUSTGOPLAY Wrote:  
(12-30-2022 12:28 PM)levydl Wrote:  Another game that was a lot of fun to attend. Tulane has a few players, and they were into it. Got heated at times.

This was probably MAW's best game as a Bearcat. He attacked on offense and scored and got guys looks. And he was great on D. Tulane was trying to exploit DDJ, but Mika was locking their little guard up.

Lahkin was flying all over on D and grabbed a bunch of rebounds and had a pretty quiet 13 points. Remarkable how good he is.

Nolley was hitting and scored 20-something, but he still plays so lax so often. Even in his good games it feels like he doesn't reach his potential.

DDJ with some big shots in the second half. He's having a fabulous year.

Love everything about Skillings except his shooting. He is long and agile and plays hard.

Ody was meh, although it was tough to play underneath this game with all the really soft foul calls in the lane.

You can see Davenport is really trying to be a team player in a lot of ways--going harder after rebounds and on D, looking for teammates and making some nice passes. But he just can't help himself taking bad shots or even decent looks super early in the shot clock. Wes seems relentlessly positive with him still.

I love the shorter rotation, the half court D, the way the offense really moves, how hard the guys play.

MAW can finish at the rim, which was something he could not do in the past. Lahkin had a ton of shots rim out, he would have had a 20 and 10 night with a little shooters luck. Nolley makes the guys around him better.I fear Davenport is gonna get the Ben Bryant treatment from here on out at home. While I agree that his shot selection can be aggravating at times, the kid don't deserve to get booed by grown men in his home gym. They booed Ben Bryant in Nippert, but we found out why they played him at QB instead of Prater. When they Boo Davenport at 5/3rd, there's a reason Wes is playing him the minutes he gets.

I'm not ready to say that about MAW given how much he has struggled to finish at the rim, but I hope he has turned the corner. Regarding Davenport, I would never boo the kid, but he is so frustrating at this point that he is getting what he deserves. Just quit jacking up threes with 20 seconds in the shot clock. He is the reason last year wasn't a total disaster and for that reason I will always respect his love for UC.

12-30-2022 11:24 PM
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(12-30-2022 09:16 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  Troy Caupain was solid as a rock as a Bearcat. Solid, dependable, great competitor, intelligent, team player, WINNER. He is missed.

For sure...wasn't comparing their ability or their role with the teams, simply statistics.

12-31-2022 01:02 AM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
(12-30-2022 08:02 PM)DownOnRohs Wrote:  Great game MAW!!! Would love more Josh Reed

That was his best game of his career. Played great in every facet of the game.

12-31-2022 11:43 AM
Edgebrookjeff Offline
1st String

I Root For: bearcats
(12-31-2022 11:43 AM)BcatMatt13 Wrote:  
(12-30-2022 08:02 PM)DownOnRohs Wrote:  Great game MAW!!! Would love more Josh Reed

I never realized until the postgame that MAW was left handed. Surely he could use that to his advantage against some defenders not prepared for it.

01-01-2023 07:11 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(01-01-2023 07:11 AM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  

I never realized until the postgame that MAW was left handed. Surely he could use that to his advantage against some defenders not prepared for it.

MAW is one of the most perplexing players in the modern era of UC basketball. At times, he looks absolutely brilliant as the floor leader and I start to think he's turned the corner. The next game he will seem totally ineffective. Here's hoping he can play at a consistently high level this season. If so, this team suddenly is much better than what we saw in November.

01-01-2023 08:36 AM
UCBearcatlawjd2 Online
All American

I Root For: UC
(01-01-2023 08:36 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(01-01-2023 07:11 AM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  

MAW is one of the most perplexing players in the modern era of UC basketball. At times, he looks absolutely brilliant as the floor leader and I start to think he's turned the corner. The next game he will seem totally ineffective. Here's hoping he can play at a consistently high level this season. If so, this team suddenly is much better than what we saw in November.

He typically struggles with long athletics guards and being forced to be a top option on offense. When he can be option 4 or 5 and pick his spots he can be effective.

01-01-2023 09:18 AM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
The announcer was gushing over John Newman saying how much the team missed him and how our tournament hopes hinge on Newman getting healthy and back in the lineup. Am I missing something? They probably missed him at first, but I think they are starting to cone around. I guess if you could find a way to insert him into the lineup that eats into Davenport’s minutes so be it. However, I think the shorter rotation is helping guys like MAW, Lahkin and Skillings/Reed. Not sure what happens when Newman and Phinisee get healthy and how that effects the chemistry.

01-01-2023 11:40 AM
Edgebrookjeff Offline
1st String

I Root For: bearcats
(01-01-2023 11:40 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  The announcer was gushing over John Newman saying how much the team missed him and how our tournament hopes hinge on Newman getting healthy and back in the lineup. Am I missing something? They probably missed him at first, but I think they are starting to cone around. I guess if you could find a way to insert him into the lineup that eats into Davenport’s minutes so be it. However, I think the shorter rotation is helping guys like MAW, Lahkin and Skillings/Reed. Not sure what happens when Newman and Phinisee get healthy and how that effects the chemistry.

I tried rewatching the broadcast to see what the announcers had to say about the team. I often think that it would be better having our own announcer team doing the game than some of the blow-hards on ESPN. Our guys that do the ESPN+ games are easier to watch/listen to, than some of these guys doing games on ESPN2 or the U.

01-01-2023 01:25 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
i like the shorten rotation

01-01-2023 02:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.