RE: Wes Miller Contract Extension
This just screams results don't matter

12-14-2022 11:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(12-14-2022 11:47 AM)bcat1997 Wrote:  This just screams results don't matter

OR...it screams the program he walked into was a complete disaster and they are happy with the direction they're trending.

12-14-2022 11:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Wow. Through 28'/29'? And WTF...an average pay raise of over 1.3 million per?

We may have just cost ourselves a considerably higher buyout after the 24-25' season. Cunningham must know he'll be the AD of another school way before then.

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2022 11:56 AM by rath v2.0.)
12-14-2022 11:49 AM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(12-14-2022 11:48 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

OR...it screams the program he walked into was a complete disaster and they are happy with the direction they're trending.

Did we not learn with the Huggins debacle what happens to recruiting when the school doesn’t offer an extension? If Miller does not perform, he gets booted, extension or not.

12-14-2022 11:53 AM
UCBearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

This is playing the long game with a preference for stability over a quick fix.

12-14-2022 12:00 PM
Advertisement

Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
Not sure how many years he had left on his original deal, but it makes sense to ensure he has 4 years left for recruiting.

I have a problem with the raise before improved results, though. This team is well below average by high-major standards, so that’s what the coach’s salary should be too.

12-14-2022 12:06 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
Well, he’s only in his second year as UC coach. Unless some other program came in and offered him substantially more than he is currently making, this seems like a huge and unjustified stretch. Hard to conceive that his market value is $3 million after coaching low major UNC Greensboro for 10 years. I would think that UC board of trustees would need to approve a salary of that magnitude. What is the basis for that level of compensation? This just seems to be an abdication of the AD and UC Board’s fiduciary responsibilities.

12-14-2022 12:10 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
He had 4 years after this season at an average of $1.3 million or so per year.

This is throwing around stupid money. Not mine, oh, well.

Tacking on 2 more years and bumping his average salary from $1.3 to $2.9 million. lol

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2022 12:13 PM by rath v2.0.)
12-14-2022 12:11 PM
cincy7718 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati
I've not seen details, maybe they decreased the buyout?

12-14-2022 12:14 PM
UCBearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I am starting to take a different approach to college basketball vs college football. In college basketball I think there is value in playing long game with a coach because history with good basketball coaches is that they are less likely to leave for another job within 5 or 6 years if they have success. If Wes does well then UC probably gets about a decade of good basketball with him. If makes sense to invest in young basketball coach.

In college football I believe you should be investing in the overall program vs the coach. So things practice facilities and salary pool.

Basketball is coach driven while football is program driven. I think we have seen what has happened when Huggins and Cronin left vs the football coaching changes.

12-14-2022 12:15 PM
Advertisement

natibeast2.0 Offline
Banned

I Root For: -
(12-14-2022 12:11 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  He had 4 years after this season at an average of $1.3 million or so per year.

Somewhat agree, but I think part of it was also they wanted to get him somewhere in Big 12 range. Year 2 of Big 12 will be his make it or break it year unless they have a good year next year which I’m not expecting with transition to the best bball league in college hoops.

They’ll be able to buy him out if needed with money coming though.

I’m big fan of Wes and think he gets us where we all expect. I feel some forget he apparently just missed getting the UNC job to a guy that sat by Roy and also played at UNC. That’s according to UNC people. Pretty incredible being the coach of UNCW and that young for what I consider the best basketball coaching job in the country. He came into a situation somewhat comparable to Mick and with a way worse conference to recruit to than Mick. First recruiting class which he barely had time to assemble looks good. Second class looks really good on paper.

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2022 12:19 PM by natibeast2.0.)
12-14-2022 12:17 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
I may laugh the next time I get a call for a capital campaign contribution.

He seems like a great guy and I hope he succeeds on and off the court but I am not seeing an understaffed roster that plays smart and is well prepared. I see an understaffed roster that looks clueless way too often.

I don't mind an extension to keep him at 5 years on the deal after this season. The extra year and more than doubling his average salary if that number is correct? That's sailor on a 96 hour shore leave stupid spending.

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2022 12:27 PM by rath v2.0.)
12-14-2022 12:25 PM
OKIcat Online
Heisman

(12-14-2022 12:17 PM)natibeast2.0 Wrote:  
(12-14-2022 12:11 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  He had 4 years after this season at an average of $1.3 million or so per year.

Somewhat agree, but I think part of it was also they wanted to get him somewhere in Big 12 range. Year 2 of Big 12 will be his make it or break it year unless they have a good year next year which I’m not expecting with transition to the best bball league in college hoops.

They’ll be able to buy him out if needed with money coming though.

I’m big fan of Wes and think he gets us where we all expect. I feel some forget he apparently just missed getting the UNC job to a guy that sat by Roy and also played at UNC. That’s according to UNC people. Pretty incredible being the coach of UNCW and that young for what I consider the best basketball coaching job in the country. He came into a situation somewhat comparable to Mick and with a way worse conference to recruit to than Mick. First recruiting class which he barely had time to assemble looks good. Second class looks really good on paper.

Bolded, agreed. I trust Cunningham to understand both his own budget and P5 basketball coaching compensation. Current pay for Wes isn't all that high in today's market and UC can hardly endure yet another coaching change prior to B12 entry.

It's always a calculated risk but many here have argued UC lacks the talent to compete after all the tumult. If we agree on that, his first two classes have been impressive for a depleted program and his third could be outstanding with the exposure of the B12. Stay the course and reassess a year from now.

12-14-2022 12:53 PM
Kenyon#4 Away
Retired

I Root For: Bearcats
(12-14-2022 12:25 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I may laugh the next time I get a call for a capital campaign contribution.

He seems like a great guy and I hope he succeeds on and off the court but I am not seeing an understaffed roster that plays smart and is well prepared. I see an understaffed roster that looks clueless way too often.

I don't mind an extension to keep him at 5 years on the deal after this season. The extra year and more than doubling his average salary if that number is correct? That's sailor on a 96 hour shore leave stupid spending.

This is where I am at, the financials make no sense here. Performance does not match the fact his salary just doubled.

12-14-2022 12:57 PM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats

Other than a slight uptick in recruiting, what trending direction justifies that significant kind of pay bump and extension. Wes has my full support for now, but this just seems completely unnecessary.

12-14-2022 01:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcatdh58 Offline
Special Teams

This. Of course some have no patience and fail to understand the amount of damage from the previous coach.

12-14-2022 01:02 PM
OKIcat Online
Heisman

I'd get prepared to see substantial increases in all UC sports' coaching salaries as the compensation benchmarks move from the American to the Big 12 peers. More money comes in; more money goes out.

Performance matters but so do the pay comparisons within the conference, especially for coaches our leaders believe can take their programs to the next level.

12-14-2022 01:04 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
From paid content article, his raise puts him at #9 in the coaching salaries of the CURRENT B12 and it will rank #8 in salaries in the NEW B12 [four new adds and minus Texas and Okie]. I think this had as much to do for program stability and recruiting as it did for pay more commensurate with the higher revenues in the B12. Also, our new football coach is making about $2M less than Fick did. I realize the assistant pool was raised significantly but that head coach salary line item for our two major revenue sports settled out close to last year. Wes has everything he needs. There are no excuses. Just get it done on and off the court...we shall see.

12-14-2022 01:06 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
(12-14-2022 12:57 PM)Kenyon#4 Wrote:  
(12-14-2022 12:25 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I may laugh the next time I get a call for a capital campaign contribution.

This is where I am at, the financials make no sense here. Performance does not match the fact his salary just doubled.

We more than doubled his average salary per year after 1 year and 10 games. This 1 year and 10 games.

12-14-2022 01:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.