Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The 2022 nightmare is over. Fixes for 2023.
Bookmark and Share
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
RE: The 2022 nightmare is over. Fixes for 2023.
(11-17-2022 04:12 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  I am waiting to see if there is a mass exodus from our program after the season wraps up. I hope not but losing can at times create a toxic environment. The team has continued to battle so hopefully we retain our key guys.

That's a good point, Chuck. So far under Ham, it seems that the transfers were players that saw there was going to be very little playing time in to their future or were Grad. transfers. We haven't had any major starters transfer. I think if we start seeing starters transfer, it shows that players are not buying into the program any more.
11-20-2022 05:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Big Red Offline
All American

(11-20-2022 05:50 PM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  
(11-17-2022 04:12 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  I am waiting to see if there is a mass exodus from our program after the season wraps up. I hope not but losing can at times create a toxic environment. The team has continued to battle so hopefully we retain our key guys.

That's a good point, Chuck. So far under Ham, it seems that the transfers were players that saw there was going to be very little playing time in to their future or were Grad. transfers. We haven't had any major starters transfer. I think if we start seeing starters transfer, it shows that players are not buying into the program any more.

I'd prefer consistency and stability in the program but I could probably count on one hand the number of starters I'd be somewhat upset if they transferred. Most of our current starters are meh (I'm not counting the guys who are hurt...which I suppose you might be but most of those guys have very little leverage in transferring).
11-20-2022 05:57 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(11-20-2022 05:57 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

I'd prefer consistency and stability in the program but I could probably count on one hand the number of starters I'd be somewhat upset if they transferred. Most of our current starters are meh (I'm not counting the guys who are hurt...which I suppose you might be but most of those guys have very little leverage in transferring).

I really don’t think any starters transfer. First as it’s been said - who wants them? Maybe a couple guys could get another FBS spot. O’Malley comes to mind. Maybe Rayner. On offense it doesn’t matter as long as it’s not Rocky or Rudolph and that seems unlikely.

If anyone might transfer I’d bet it would be from this years recruiting class. There are several guys with multiple decent offers who may not like what they got themselves into. Let’s hope not because there are some good recruits in this class IMO.
11-20-2022 06:42 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(11-20-2022 06:42 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  

I really don’t think any starters transfer. First as it’s been said - who wants them? Maybe a couple guys could get another FBS spot. O’Malley comes to mind. Maybe Rayner. On offense it doesn’t matter as long as it’s not Rocky or Rudolph and that seems unlikely.

If anyone might transfer I’d bet it would be from this years recruiting class. There are several guys with multiple decent offers who may not like what they got themselves into. Let’s hope not because there are some good recruits in this class IMO.

Marcus Stokes is now available.
11-20-2022 09:13 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(11-20-2022 09:13 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

Chance slim and none. Florida withdrew his scholarship ...

https://www.alligator.org/article/2022/1...ack-commit

NIU will not want to deal with that, regardless.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2022 10:43 PM by pvk75.)
11-20-2022 10:41 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(11-20-2022 10:41 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  
(11-20-2022 05:50 PM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  That's a good point, Chuck. So far under Ham, it seems that the transfers were players that saw there was going to be very little playing time in to their future or were Grad. transfers. We haven't had any major starters transfer. I think if we start seeing starters transfer, it shows that players are not buying into the program any more.

The only reason they rescinded the scholarship is because they flipped Rashada, otherwise this would have been a learning experience and something they were going to work on with him.

He's guilty of being a dumb and self-absorbed 18 year old who is unaware of social climate. Hardly a crime.

I love how a guy singing along to rap music is somehow racist.

And yes, I know he's not coming to NIU.
11-20-2022 11:18 PM
Red Dog Offline
Special Teams

Agreed that this season was a season to forget. One of the most disappointing seasons in program history. With that being said, I'm still somewhat optimistic going forward if we can remain healthy in key positions. We also need to see defensive improvement (obviously) and young players develop.

Beat Akron. Get into the weight room and start working towards a better future.

Go Huskies
11-21-2022 10:48 AM
NIU05 Online
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
(11-21-2022 10:48 AM)Red Dog Wrote:  Agreed that this season was a season to forget. One of the most disappointing seasons in program history. With that being said, I'm still somewhat optimistic going forward if we can remain healthy in key positions. We also need to see defensive improvement (obviously) and young players develop.

Beat Akron. Get into the weight room and start working towards a better future.

Go Huskies

That offensive line has to become more physical, tougher. Key component moving forward.
11-21-2022 04:37 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

(11-20-2022 11:18 PM)Big Red Wrote:  
(11-20-2022 10:41 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  
(11-20-2022 05:57 PM)Big Red Wrote:  I'd prefer consistency and stability in the program but I could probably count on one hand the number of starters I'd be somewhat upset if they transferred. Most of our current starters are meh (I'm not counting the guys who are hurt...which I suppose you might be but most of those guys have very little leverage in transferring).

The only reason they rescinded the scholarship is because they flipped Rashada, otherwise this would have been a learning experience and something they were going to work on with him.

He's guilty of being a dumb and self-absorbed 18 year old who is unaware of social climate. Hardly a crime.

I love how a guy singing along to rap music is somehow racist.

And yes, I know he's not coming to NIU.

As I said ... "regardless."

Anyway, picked up on other boards ...Arizona transfer QB Jordan McCloud has two years of eligibility. Indiana QB Jack Tuttle has one year of eligibility. The portal is going to crank up, so there will be others. Give Cremascoli another year to see how he develops. Agree with the opine that Fletcher sees the writing. Wonder about Lomax too. Original roster at season's start has 8 listed as QB.
11-21-2022 08:30 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

Again, just throwing this out ... Indiana hs hotshot qb ...

https://www.statechampsnetwork.com/chang...yoff-push/

I figure, for discussion if any... hey, why not?
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2022 03:17 AM by pvk75.)
11-23-2022 03:15 AM
brandsxb Offline
2nd String

On the bright side the team doesn't have to go to some low level bowl game and the university doesn't have to lose money sending them there.
11-23-2022 08:23 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I can't believe how many have moved on from Hampton so quick. He has played like 5 games. Playcalling has been pathetic at best. I think he will be good just needs experience
11-23-2022 08:45 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I don't think too many have "moved on." It's just that with Hampton's injury, posters are more focused on -- and talking about -- those who could play as the season moved along.

Originally, the roster had 8 listed as QBs. For next year, Hammock would/could start planning for that portion of the roster with Lombardi, Lynch, Hampton and Cremascoli (not in order after Lombardi). That's *before* any portal action, so IMO he definitely needs to get looking.

(I did not list Fletcher or Lomax because don't know what's up with them.)
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2022 09:10 PM by pvk75.)
11-23-2022 09:08 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(11-23-2022 08:45 PM)klake87 Wrote:  I can't believe how many have moved on from Hampton so quick. He has played like 5 games. Playcalling has been pathetic at best. I think he will be good just needs experience

He's injury prone and has no pocket presence. He has a good arm but throws low passes that get batted down a lot too.
11-23-2022 10:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(11-23-2022 08:45 PM)klake87 Wrote:  I can't believe how many have moved on from Hampton so quick. He has played like 5 games. Playcalling has been pathetic at best. I think he will be good just needs experience

I think like most I believe Hampton needs a lot of time to develope. So I haven't moved on from him but my expectations have moved further down the road. I also saw several other 1st and 2nd year new starting QBs in the MAC who showed a lot more potential than Ethan.

Its also just bad timing for Hampton. His injury this year really hurt his timetable. The last half of the season was almost free game experience with little expectations. Now that this team will be desperate for wins in 2023, there just isn't time to wait and see if Hampton can develope.
11-24-2022 02:29 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

Hampton has been in the program for three years. He's not brand new. He's had plenty of time to develop and learn the playbook.

Toledo and Miami's backup QBs look good. Miami backup QB had nearly 300 yards passing and running against us. Even WMU's backup true freshman Salopek looks good. Heck, Ohio's backup QB just played in the BG game and they rolled over BG.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2022 03:23 PM by epasnoopy.)
11-24-2022 03:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Big Red Offline
All American

(11-24-2022 03:17 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Hampton has been in the program for three years. He's not brand new. He's had plenty of time to develop and learn the playbook.

Toledo and Miami's backup QBs look good. Miami backup QB had nearly 300 yards passing and running against us. Even WMU's backup true freshman Salopek looks good. Heck, Ohio's backup QB just played in the BG game and they rolled over BG.

Outside of the part I bolded, I agree with everything.

As for the part I bolded...who cares? Our defense is terrible and the acumen of a QB absolutely not be based on how they performed against the 2022 NIU Huskie Defense.

But the rest of that comment...yeah, I agree and it is concerning if Hampton was perceived to be our best backup (I really am no longer sure how to classify Lynch in the grand scheme of the positional depth chart), then that is an issue.
11-24-2022 05:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.