Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

* * * Official Akron @ NIU Game Thread * Sat 11/26 @12:30 CT ESPN+ * * *
Bookmark and Share
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: * * * Official Akron @ NIU Game Thread * Sat 11/26 @12:30 CT ESPN+ * * *
This game felt like the Boise state bowl disaster. The game where there were rumors about the players walking out on Carey. Its going to be a long off season for Hammock. If he comes back with the same staff and same system I'm going to be really disappointed. He really needs to evaluate EVERYTHING and take action,
11-26-2022 07:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mgm86huskiefn Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: niu
(11-26-2022 07:24 PM)HuskieDave Wrote:  
(11-26-2022 05:39 PM)MGMFIN86 Wrote:  I love the thought of Hammock doing well. He is a nice guy Also. But anything short of seriously competing for Detroit next year assuming Rocky is and stays healthy means it is time to go.

Rocky’s health should have nothing to do with it. He is 17-27. It is his job to win with/without Rocky. So what do we do when Rocky graduates….fold the program? Injuries happen…..it is football. We just got destroyed by Akron……whose only prior win was against St. Francis of Pennsylvania. Whether Rocky plays one play, or, the entire schedule next year should make no difference.

Quite true. It scares me to think coach trusted walk on Neven more than Lynch. I realize is was a forced decision to make this year that was not expected. But to get so hung up that he was the guy. Makes me wonder about decision making. My humble opinion.
11-26-2022 07:46 PM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
(11-26-2022 07:10 PM)BDB5yp Wrote:  Damn. Are we the worst team in the nation now???

That would be Hawaii or Nevada
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2022 08:32 PM by HawaiiToNIU.)
11-26-2022 08:31 PM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

(11-26-2022 07:43 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  This game felt like the Boise state bowl disaster. The game where there were rumors about the players walking out on Carey. Its going to be a long off season for Hammock. If he comes back with the same staff and same system I'm going to be really disappointed. He really needs to evaluate EVERYTHING and take action,

He should, as any reasonable coach would. But he has no budget to get better. Unless he wants to hire Dave Inserra to be his offensive coordinator. Or the coach from Lincoln Way East to run the defense.
11-26-2022 08:33 PM
BigChilla Offline
1st String

(11-26-2022 08:33 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  
(11-26-2022 07:43 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  This game felt like the Boise state bowl disaster. The game where there were rumors about the players walking out on Carey. Its going to be a long off season for Hammock. If he comes back with the same staff and same system I'm going to be really disappointed. He really needs to evaluate EVERYTHING and take action,

He should, as any reasonable coach would. But he has no budget to get better. Unless he wants to hire Dave Inserra to be his offensive coordinator. Or the coach from Lincoln Way East to run the defense.

My bigger concern is he has no connections.

Truth is HS head coaches moving to be coordinators on the D1 level isn’t crazy. I would welcome it.
11-26-2022 08:45 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(11-26-2022 08:45 PM)BigChilla Wrote:  Truth is HS head coaches moving to be coordinators on the D1 level isn’t crazy. I would welcome it.

Yes it is! So thank God you have no role in the decision-making process. The majority of people on here do not consider DIII or DII coaches to necessarily be qualified for coordinator positions and you want someone to make the jump from high school to DI coordinator. That is crazy!
11-26-2022 09:35 PM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
(11-26-2022 06:24 PM)ChicagoHuskie Wrote:  Coastal Carolina #23 and without QB McCall all of the sudden is vulnerable and loses 47-7 to James Madison. I admit this season was a bust, but missing your top QB is tough to overcome- Rocky can be the difference in a big turnaround season next year.

Coastal has been without McCall for a few games and still have a 9 win season. The that’s a program not just one player.

Really hope he hires someone with a good recruiting background from one of the schools that the head coach got canned.
11-26-2022 09:37 PM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

(11-26-2022 08:45 PM)BigChilla Wrote:  
(11-26-2022 08:33 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  

My bigger concern is he has no connections.

Truth is HS head coaches moving to be coordinators on the D1 level isn’t crazy. I would welcome it.

That connections piece is pivotal. Hammock's coaching staff has long been a mismatch of coaches from all over the place. You can tell on GameDay that they've never really gelled with each other and have many things to work out.

Kill always had his old guard with him that followed him from Emporia State, to Southern, to NIU and even Minnesota. Same thing with Doeren and even Carey had a crew he brought back to Temple.

Hammock has always just been on his own. Which kind of shows us why it's important to hire people with head coaching or at least coordinator experience. I still think Hammock is incredibly talented, but this has been a very tall task.
11-26-2022 09:37 PM
BigChilla Offline
1st String

(11-26-2022 09:35 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(11-26-2022 08:45 PM)BigChilla Wrote:  Truth is HS head coaches moving to be coordinators on the D1 level isn’t crazy. I would welcome it.

Yes it is! So thank God you have no role in the decision-making process. The majority of people on here do not consider DIII or DII coaches to necessarily be qualified for coordinator positions and you want someone to make the jump from high school to DI coordinator. That is crazy!

It’s not though. It has been successful, and Hammock has no connections - the idea is not that far fetched.
11-26-2022 10:20 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(11-26-2022 09:37 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  
(11-26-2022 06:24 PM)ChicagoHuskie Wrote:  Coastal Carolina #23 and without QB McCall all of the sudden is vulnerable and loses 47-7 to James Madison. I admit this season was a bust, but missing your top QB is tough to overcome- Rocky can be the difference in a big turnaround season next year.

Coastal has been without McCall for a few games and still have a 9 win season. The that’s a program not just one player.

They've only been without him since last week. They barely beat USM last week and then got demolished this week.
11-26-2022 10:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MGMFIN86 Offline
Special Teams

Which brings up the question is this a good fit for Hammock? Next season will give answers to that question
11-26-2022 10:58 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

At this point, I think we know what we have in Hammock. If he can't surround himself with a better staff and fire some of them then he needs to go. This program is heading in a very bad direction.

We went 1-5 in Huskie Stadium this season and got blown out by a team whose only other win was vs. FCS.
11-26-2022 11:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brandsxb Offline
2nd String

The AD gave Hammock a contract extension through 2026. This decision was based on one good season. What was the rush? Was the BIG10 knocking on his door. I know I will get criticism for this next comment. Is he physically able to do the job?
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2022 05:08 AM by brandsxb.)
11-27-2022 05:07 AM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

(11-26-2022 04:51 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  I like Hammock and hope the best for the guy but ... maybe Frost would do better at NIU as an HC. I mean, just look at how low *our* expectations are.

Obviously, just joking. Frost can't be that desperate.

Meanwhile ... FOUR FREAKIN' FIELD GOALS! AGAINST AKRON!

The MAC would be a refuge for fired Nebraska HC's. First was Solich.
11-27-2022 08:32 AM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

You know who would be interested and desperate enough? Someone whose whooped us before.

Marshall's Doc Holliday. BRING HIM IN!
11-27-2022 09:08 AM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

Curious.

Didn’t watch game but the freshman RB gets hurt and then they put in Waylee who was hurt in a meaningless game, like the last 4-5 games Hammock has treated as such?

So hey Waylee, we’ll start this guy and evaluate him, you sit but we’ll put you in for him if he gets hurt.

And it took until the last game, 2nd 1/2 I presume, to let Lynch throw because that’s when you are evaluating him?

I have not understood 90% of his coaching this year. It’s like 2020 when he played for future. If Rocky tries to come back, claims medical I know he gave up. I also wonder what the evaluation for it is. Something smells fishy that he could come back and magically play one game and then not play another. If this is something they look into hard with medical records, I would wonder if he gets it and if there is any repercussions for misrepresentation of an injury.
11-27-2022 09:48 AM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(11-26-2022 10:20 PM)BigChilla Wrote:  
It’s not though. It has been successful, and Hammock has no connections - the idea is not that far fetched.

Yes it is that far fetched. No. 1, How do you know Hammock has no connections? No. 2, IF in the unlikely event he "has no connections" despite having been a running backs coach at NIU and Minnesota, co-offensive coordinator at Minnesota, assistant head coach at Wisconsin, running backs coach with the Baltimore Ravens, maybe some assistant coach somewhere is looking for a Division I job that you don't know about. Why wouldn't a GA from some FBS or FCS be less qualified than a high school coach?
11-27-2022 10:06 AM
BigChilla Offline
1st String

(11-27-2022 10:06 AM)uiniu57 Wrote:  

Yes it is that far fetched. No. 1, How do you know Hammock has no connections? No. 2, IF in the unlikely event he "has no connections" despite having been a running backs coach at NIU and Minnesota, co-offensive coordinator at Minnesota, assistant head coach at Wisconsin, running backs coach with the Baltimore Ravens, maybe some assistant coach somewhere is looking for a Division I job that you don't know about. Why wouldn't a GA from some FBS or FCS be less qualified than a high school coach?

You are moving the goal posts. I said a high school HC moving to a D1 coordinator job is not far fetched. If you know how to use the google you can find a bunch of guys who have done so (some even straight to HC…which is crazy).

He has no connections, that’s a known thing - I mean if he had great connections would this staff be full of cast offs? The only guy who had any kind of buzz was the OC - and since stepping up from South Dakota he hasn’t done amazing.

So again, yes a high school HC could be a good choice for OC. He’ll, a bunch of high school HCs were position coaches, or GAs, at one point. So your argument is a clear case of moving the goal posts. Some people like to try to do that to win an argument…by changing the argument. Lol
11-27-2022 10:23 AM
mgm86huskiefn Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: niu
I am curious about decisions who plays. So many QB's this year. 8 deep. Then after a couple of injuries hitch the wagon to a walk on who throws under 50% every game and throws interceptions like its in the playbook. Why not give the other guys a longer look. Kept Lynch off the field to watch this each game? After Lombardi if this is what is offered then there will be many down years. Not to mention how a team quit at the end of the year. I am curious about a lot of decisions. I have no inside knowledge or basic knowledge of why so maybe a legit reason exists. I see on here can play 4 games and keep red shirt. Hard to be positive when Akron comes in and destroys the Huskies.
11-27-2022 10:52 AM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
(11-27-2022 10:06 AM)uiniu57 Wrote:  

Agree. He does have connections. He was able to recruit 2 quality QBs from P5 in Bowers and Lombardi. We had a bad year, we will challenge next year with Lombardi and Rudolph.

HS coaches to coordinator? Ridiculous idea , is it possible? yeah, like winning the lottery. IL does not have the depth of coaches like Texas. Where guys do go from HS to college usually as a position coach. Hell, Allen HS hired an SEC HC to be their HC. The coaching is different here in Texas.
11-27-2022 12:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.