Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Toledo vs Cincy WBB game thread
Bookmark and Share
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: Toledo vs Cincy WBB game thread
Rockets making their free throws in OT. Up by four with 44.8 seconds left in first OT.
11-16-2022 01:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rockytop Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
Cullop is out coaching UC.
11-16-2022 01:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

Three pointer by Mya Jackson despite good defense.
One point Rockets lead 72-71 with 3.3 second left.
Nan Garcia to the line, hits both.
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2022 01:16 PM by NewMex RocketFan.)
11-16-2022 01:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

Cincy doesn't get a shot off. Rockets win!!!
11-16-2022 01:17 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Online
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
Chalk this up as an impressive win, road win on top of that
11-16-2022 01:21 PM
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

Sammi with a double double: 16 points and 11 boards
Q Lockett leads the Rockets with 19 points and Jessica Cook had 13 points.
Sophia scored nine with four five HUGE points in OT
11-16-2022 01:23 PM
Sleepy Offline
1st String

Mental toughness, hard nosed D down the stretch in OT, a Great victory on the road in a hostile arena. Bring on Duke on Sunday!
11-16-2022 01:26 PM
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

Rockets with a bit sub par shooting: 39.66% from the field, 26.67% from three point and 72.73% from the foul line - an improvement from the first half and huge in OT.
11-16-2022 01:28 PM
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

Toledo with 10 turnovers vs. 24 for Cincy was another key factor.
11-16-2022 01:28 PM
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-16-2022 01:26 PM)Sleepy Wrote:  Mental toughness, hard nosed D down the stretch in OT, a Great victory on the road in a hostile arena. Bring on Duke on Sunday!

Indeed. The way the second half unfolded it looked likely the Rockets would have their first loss. They battled to get it to OT, dodging a potential game winner by Mya Jackson.
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2022 01:33 PM by NewMex RocketFan.)
11-16-2022 01:33 PM
kazoorocket43 Offline
Special Teams

Cinc has three bigs and playing two at a time which gave them favorable matchups on offense. Most of their shots were either layups or shots in the paint. They also have a very good halfcourt defense which mostly prevented UT from getting inside. Great spirit by rockets hanging in there and doing whatever to extend the game. And a couple of errors by Cinc in the final minute gave an opportunistic rocket team the opening they needed to get the win. I credit the win to the experience and calm approach by a veteran group. Go rockets!
11-16-2022 01:41 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
Glad to hear that the Rockets persevered!
11-16-2022 04:59 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

Good win to persevere at the end. Too soon to judge how good a team Cinci is this year, but they did beat Tennessee Tech, the team that beat Ball St, so?

Really need Q to find her shot again. She does, and games like this aren't even close. They gave Sammi a really tough job this game, as she was switching onto both Mya Jackson, the tiny ultra-quick guard, who was too fast for her, and also onto bigger Jillian Hayes who is stronger than her. She got beat several times, and got beat up a lot, but overall still had a good game, especially on the boards.

Regarding the comments on the Cinci bigs and needing a post, it's not really that simple. Cinci has 2 actual post players (6'3 and 6'4) and they were non-factors in the game, combining for a total of 4 points, 3 rebounds and 6 turnovers. The problem is Cinci has a whole bunch of 5'11 to 6'1 guard/wings who can all handle the ball, and are quick enough to drive the lane and strong enough to get an advantage down low. Wouldn't really call them bigs, just tall skill players, ala Dayton in recent years where they had 2 true guards who both stood 6'1 and were strong enough to play inside when necessary. Those teams are tough matchups for any MAC school, and adding Noveroske might have helped a little, but she would not be able to stay with those players as they roamed the floor.

But, UT does need to find a way to rebound better against teams like that. Of course, if they hit their free throws and make a few of the missed layups/open threes, this could have been a fairly easy win.

This was good prep for Duke, who is taller than Cinci, plays a similar pressure D, and has more talented skill players. We'll see what UT learned today.
11-16-2022 08:03 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-16-2022 11:52 AM)Lester Wrote:  Wow, Rockets cannot solve Cincinnati's defense but lead 29-23. Cincinnati is even playing good defense at the free thrown line, as Toledo can't seem to hit from there either. As I mentioned in the other (aborted) thread, Garcia shows no signs of whatever injury caused her to leave the court near the end of the Canisius game.

I wonder if the Garcia thing could have been an illness rather than an injury. Certainly wasn't any lower body problem the way she sprinted off in that game.
11-16-2022 08:11 PM
Lester Offline
Special Teams

The reason the game went into overtime is that I had to leave for work at 1:00pm. Just watched the overtime on replay. Great composure by the Rockets at the end of regulation and in overtime. This is a veteran team, and the players like and trust each other. It shows when the game is on the line. I hope Cincinnati goes on to have a great year and makes this a signature win for UT. The Bearcats definitely created some problems for us on both ends of the court.

I agree with northcoast's comments about Cincinnati's bigs. This is a game where Noveroske would have seen limited minutes due to the quickness of Cincinnati's players.

I thought we would never get a stop in overtime!
11-16-2022 08:17 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

Oh, and with Q's 19 today, she passed both Inma Zanoguera and Liz Meiring to move into 14th place on the all-time scoring list. She's 14 points behind both Andola Dortch and Jay-Ann Bravo-Harriott.
11-16-2022 08:17 PM
Lester Offline
Special Teams

Here's an amazing stat. After three games, the Rockets have 49 assists and 28 turnovers. Their opponents have 20 assists and 44 turnovers.
11-16-2022 08:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.