Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Congress to Spend $62M+ Demolishing Monuments
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Congress to Spend $62M+ Demolishing Monuments
Quote:In perhaps the most backwards move of the entire “tear down the statues” movement, the U.S. Congress’ Naming Commission will soon attempt to demolish the Confederate Memorial in Arlington, Virginia, designed by the first globally renowned Jewish-American artist, Moses Ezekiel. Ezekiel himself is buried at the base of the statue.

Announced this week, the Democrat and Republican-backed Naming Commission has said the entire endeavor of attempting to rewrite American history will cost around $62 million, and involve around 1100 sites, statues, and properties.

Most notably, the Commission targets the grave and Confederate Memorial of Moses Ezekiel – an artist once likened to Michelangelo – calling it “problematic from top to bottom”.

The issue, they claim, is that the memorial lauds the Confederacy as a “noble” cause. But that was scarcely the artist’s intention, nor does that claim appear to be reflected in even the liberal media reports from the time. Ezekiel’s statue originally focused on State’s Rights as well as free trade, being decided upon in 1906, and unveiled to critical acclaim in 1914.

At the time, even the Washington Post described the monument as representing “peace,” and news outlets from around the world published fawning praise for the forward-looking monument.

Indeed Ezekiel himself said at the time that he was modeling the memorial to portray the South rising above its sacrifices and privations.

[Image: img.jpeg]

“The intention is that it is a peace monument,” he said. “Without forgetting the sacrifices and the heroism of the South, and emphasizing the fact that they were fighting for a constitutional right, and not to uphold slavery, I have attempted to have the dominant idea the future and not the past, to show that the intention of the South is to rest the future on her industry and her agriculture, and let the past go, but not be forgotten.”

In his memoirs, Ezekiel wrote: “None of us had ever fought for slavery and, in fact, were opposed to it. It was an evil that we had inherited and that he wanted to get rid of. Our struggle… was simply a constitutional one.”

Even President Obama continued the tradition of sending a wreath to the Confederate Memorial.

But now, a woke coterie of military veterans and politicians are attempting to invert Ezekiel’s idea – not letting the past go, but attempting at the same time to have it forgotten.

In their haste, they will be desecrating the graves of many, including Ezekiel himself, who was buried at the Arlington National Cemetery site in 1921. He is famed for dozens of works, including the memorial, as well as a B’nai Brith statue to religious liberty in Philadelphia, statues of Raphael, Michelangelo, and Da Vinci, and even long-standing Columbus, Jefferson, Stonewall Jackson, and Edgar Allan Poe statues. All of these will now surely be called into question.

Link
09-21-2022 06:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
RE: Congress to Spend $62M+ Demolishing Monuments
Everything with the potential of being moved to a museum should be moved to a museum. I'd feel the same way if it was Hitler, Cold War Russia, Middle East terrorist, stuff.

It's sad scholars, museum curators, etc. say nada about it.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2022 06:21 PM by Bronco'14.)
09-21-2022 06:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
maximus Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(09-21-2022 06:20 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  Everything with the potential of being moved to a museum should be moved to a museum. I'd feel the same way if it was Hitler, Cold War Russia, Middle East terrorist, stuff.

It's sad scholars, museum curators, etc. say nada about it.
They are complicit

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk
09-21-2022 06:23 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Yes, tax money for cultural genocide.
09-21-2022 06:24 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Well...I guess after this the country will unite and sing Kum ba yah.
09-21-2022 07:10 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
Man, this country has a serious case of amnesia and suicidal tendencies.

First we have BLM and other groups pushing for segregation....I'm sure MLK and other civil rights leaders were turning over in their graves.

Now, we want to re-write history and forget the reasons that certain statues were erected. Not all were necessarily to 'celebrate' a person, but to memorialize a time and perhaps a cause. But the current cultural marxists are out to erase our history so it can be re-written by those who consider themselves our betters.

A country that forgets its' actual history is one that will fall to ideologues and their fictitious narratives. We already have a huge number of citizens that really don't know the actual history of this country. They are easy prey for these loons.
09-21-2022 07:20 PM
Claw Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
The dead still have freedom of speech.
09-22-2022 09:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.