Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Should we be relieved that...
Bookmark and Share
Feral Eagle Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Southern Miss
Should we be relieved that...
we don't have Appalachian State, Marshall or Old Dominion on our schedule this season?

Their accomplishments are certainly great for the Sun Belt Conference. I just wish Southern Miss football was part of that elite group- like we once were many many years ago. "Southern Miss...the Boise State east of the Mississippi River." "Southern Miss...giant killers."
09-10-2022 06:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Big Dub Offline
C-USA Troll?

RE: Should we be relieved that...
Anyone that thought the talent gap would be fixed this year isn't living in reality. I guess a super-talent at QB could change that outlook but one hasn't emerged yet.

We're a much better team, should be 1-1, but we're not going to beat talented teams this year. The cupboard was bare, hopefully recruiting is going well
09-10-2022 10:12 PM
HarborPointe Online
North American Champion

I think we have enough to compete. The team just needs to mature and gets it act together. More consistency with the good stuff and less of the bad stuff will go a long way.

We’ll end up beating somebody we’re not supposed to before the season’s done.
09-11-2022 12:31 PM
Feral Eagle Offline
Water Engineer

The talent gap may not be considered fixed, but it's significantly improved from last season. When you get 11 transfers from Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Arkansas it's going to have a positive impact. You combine them with the best players on the existing team and you have a team that can compete. That was obvious in the game against Miami- especially the defense. I was impressed with their first half performance- numerous sacks, tackles for loss, passes batted down and intercepted. The QB was the big issue, and perhaps Wilcke is the answer.

The first half Southern Miss played against Miami was comparable to the first halves played by Marshall and Appalachian State. The talent gap between Appalachian State vs Texas A&M along with Marshall vs Notre Dame is also massive. Somehow both of them managed to go into College Station and South Bend and came out with victories.
09-11-2022 07:41 PM
Advertisement

Reggie Favre Offline
All American

From what Ive seen, USM will compete for the West Champion so long as we have good (Wilcke) QB play. Our defense is too strong NOT to have a shot at first in the West.
09-13-2022 09:13 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
Jury's still out on whether or not ODU has anything this season, but appreciate the mention. Looking forward to the next time we can get Southern Miss on the schedule, hopefully in Hattiesburg. I need some more Murky Waters
09-16-2022 07:36 PM
Golden Fogg Offline
Bench Warmer

Yes, we are lucky in that scheduling.
I hate that we're currently a detriment versus an asset. Oh the days....
09-21-2022 01:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.