Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: What is the PAC's expansion (or reloading) timetable?
They'll reload ("Pac-12") for 2024 & announce it this Fall..
They'll reload ("Pac-12") for 2024 & announce it within the next 12 months.
It will take them over a year to decide what to do.
They will expand & become the "PAC-14" or "PAC-16"
They won't reload or expand. They will simply become the "PAC-10"
Other (describe in comments)
[Show Results]

What is the PAC's expansion (or reloading) timetable?
46566 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Gonzaga
RE: What is the PAC's expansion (or reloading) timetable?
I think the PAC 12 needs to expand. Have them take a partial share for a few years and take a shorter TV contract that helps build up the added schools. I'm under the assumption that the Big Ten is waiting on Notre Dame to see if expansion is worth while. Best case scenario the G5 adds are in a better position to help with the next contract and worse case they only need to add 1 or 2 more teams.
08-02-2022 12:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hk25 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
(08-02-2022 11:12 AM)Boots Wrote:  
(08-02-2022 11:05 AM)PicksUp Wrote:  
(08-02-2022 10:58 AM)hk25 Wrote:  If they want to survive as a conference (even if a diminished one) they will expand sooner than later and start building up the value of their new members. If they want to slowly fade away into a slow death and slowly get picked apart but future raids they will stay at 10.

Adding more teams wont prevent future raids.

Staying at 10 and getting raided wont prevent adding more members at that time.

If they go to 14....the PAC conference will be in existence in 10 years. If they stay at 10....it very well may not.

So I disagree. If you are at 14-16 and lose 8 schools then you can rebuild from that with backfilling. If you are at 10 and lose 8 schools you are likely done as a conference.

So these schools need to pick their poison. Expand with quality G5s or Potentially no conference in 8-10 years.

That was my thoughts as well, if someone gets promoted to the B1G that is going to happen if the league stays at 10 or expands. The league has a better chance of surviving & will be stronger in the future after a raid if they expand now instead of waiting. The TV$ can be arranged not to hurt the remaining PAC any more than the loss of LA already will.

I also don’t believe TV will let the B1G or SEC get above 20, & maybe not 18. There are ND & a couple from ACC TV want eventually promoted. But past that not any worth $100M+.

If tv truly had their way, I believe they would have both B1G & SEC each cut their bottom 2 & add ND & top 3 from ACC & top tier realignment would be over for a rather long time.
08-02-2022 05:27 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(08-02-2022 05:27 PM)hk25 Wrote:  
(08-02-2022 10:58 AM)hk25 Wrote:  If they want to survive as a conference (even if a diminished one) they will expand sooner than later and start building up the value of their new members. If they want to slowly fade away into a slow death and slowly get picked apart but future raids they will stay at 10.

If they go to 14....the PAC conference will be in existence in 10 years. If they stay at 10....it very well may not.

So I disagree. If you are at 14-16 and lose 8 schools then you can rebuild from that with backfilling. If you are at 10 and lose 8 schools you are likely done as a conference.

So these schools need to pick their poison. Expand with quality G5s or Potentially no conference in 8-10 years.

That was my thoughts as well, if someone gets promoted to the B1G that is going to happen if the league stays at 10 or expands. The league has a better chance of surviving & will be stronger in the future after a raid if they expand now instead of waiting. The TV$ can be arranged not to hurt the remaining PAC any more than the loss of LA already will.

I also don’t believe TV will let the B1G or SEC get above 20, & maybe not 18. There are ND & a couple from ACC TV want eventually promoted. But past that not any worth $100M+.

If tv truly had their way, I believe they would have both B1G & SEC each cut their bottom 2 & add ND & top 3 from ACC & top tier realignment would be over for a rather long time.

Expansion in the face of potential predation by a more powerful conference is convential wisdom in conference realignment.

But another tenet of realignment conventional wisdom is that if you’re in a standoff with an equally powerful conference, where each side would like to poach the other but neither has quite enough strength to pull it off, you don’t do anything to weaken your position. You don’t, for example, expand with schools that will make your conference less financially and institutionally appealing to your current members.

The Pac-12 is in the unusual position right now of having to deal with both situations concurrently, vis-a-vis the B1G and Big 12 respectively. So which conventional wisdom do they follow? Add MWC and/or AAC schools now to ensure the survival of the conference in the event of losing more members to the B1G in the future, or put off adding MWC and/or AAC schools to prevent giving any members on the fence another reason to jump to a now-more-appealing Big 12?

I think the answer will differ from Pac-12 school to Pac-12 school, and that lack of consensus in and of itself will prevent the Pac-12 from expanding unless and until there’s further B1G predation.
08-02-2022 06:24 PM
hk25 Offline
Special Teams

(08-02-2022 06:24 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  

Expansion in the face of potential predation by a more powerful conference is convential wisdom in conference realignment.

But another tenet of realignment conventional wisdom is that if you’re in a standoff with an equally powerful conference, where each side would like to poach the other but neither has quite enough strength to pull it off, you don’t do anything to weaken your position. You don’t, for example, expand with schools that will make your conference less financially and institutionally appealing to your current members.

The Pac-12 is in the unusual position right now of having to deal with both situations concurrently, vis-a-vis the B1G and Big 12 respectively. So which conventional wisdom do they follow? Add MWC and/or AAC schools now to ensure the survival of the conference in the event of losing more members to the B1G in the future, or put off adding MWC and/or AAC schools to prevent giving any members on the fence another reason to jump to a now-more-appealing Big 12?

I think the answer will differ from Pac-12 school to Pac-12 school, and that lack of consensus in and of itself will prevent the Pac-12 from expanding unless and until there’s further B1G predation.

Why would a PAC expanding with a G5 influence a team to more likely consider going to the B12 which just expanded with G5’s long distances from them when the TV $ will likely be very similar?

At least this time you get to have a say in the G5’s being added.
08-02-2022 06:39 PM
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(08-02-2022 06:39 PM)hk25 Wrote:  
(08-02-2022 06:24 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  
(08-02-2022 11:05 AM)PicksUp Wrote:  Adding more teams wont prevent future raids.

Why would a PAC expanding with a G5 influence a team to more likely consider going to the B12 which just expanded with G5’s long distances from them when the TV $ will likely be very similar?

At least this time you get to have a say in the G5’s being added.

Ok, a lot going on there.

Why would a PAC expanding with a G5 influence a team to more likely consider going to the B12

Well, right now, the scuttlebutt is that PAC-10 teams are currently weighing the pros and cons of jumping from the PAC-10 to the new Big 12. Which implies that the pros-and-cons are pretty close.

The PAC expanding with a G5 team, in this case San Diego STate, brings the PAC down on several metrics--attendance, budget, etc. The case FOR San Diego State is it gets you back into the southern California (Los Angeles) market.

going to the B12 which just expanded with G5’s

Because the PAC isn't looking to add BYU and Houston, they're adding less attractive options--SDSU and maybe Boise State? Big 12 picked first, got better G5's. PAC is taking the leftovers, if they take anybody.

long distances from them
Travel to UCF, West Virginia and Cincinnati would be a pain in the butt for PAC schools, but that's the new reality of big-time (or at least lower-P5) college athletics, I guess.

when the TV $ will likely be very similar?

If you're making the PAC to Big 12 move, you're expecting the Big 12 to get significantly more than the PAC-10.

Quote:At least this time you get to have a say in the G5’s being added.

This isn't that big a positive, if you don't see any attractive G5s on the board.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2022 06:51 PM by johnbragg.)
08-02-2022 06:49 PM
RockyMTNTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: MEMPHIS
It could be sooner than anyone thinks. Right now the TV folks are advising them on the best adds. Without a doubt one is SDSU and the other is BYU. Both of those schools would help keep the band together and I could see the PAC snobs holding their noses for both - not so much for Boise. After that - perhaps Kansas and one of TCU/SMU and/or Texas Tech.

Admittedly, my thoughts on the matter coincide and are entirely tainted by hopes for Memphis - so there's that caveat.
08-02-2022 07:42 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
My take on the situation:

There’s no incentive to expand.

Stanford, Cal, Oregon, and Washington all have one foot out the door onto the Big 10.

If that happens, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and Arizona St are as good as gone to the Big 12.

For those 8, their exits from the PAC 10 are much easier if all but 2 schools have a future home in their crosshairs.

Oregon St and Washington St are really the only 2 that have an incentive to push expansion.

There’s no one out there in the MWC that’s going to add value. It’s similar to the situation to the Big 12 after they added TCU and WVU—no one raised the per school payout and it made financial sense to waive the pro rata clause in exchange for cash.

If they want to play more games in CA, you don’t have to add Fresno St, San Diego St, or San Jose St—you just have to schedule them OOC.
08-02-2022 08:04 PM
AztecEmpire Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SDSU
(08-02-2022 07:42 PM)RockyMTNTiger Wrote:  It could be sooner than anyone thinks. Right now the TV folks are advising them on the best adds. Without a doubt one is SDSU and the other is BYU. Both of those schools would help keep the band together and I could see the PAC snobs holding their noses for both - not so much for Boise. After that - perhaps Kansas and one of TCU/SMU and/or Texas Tech.

Admittedly, my thoughts on the matter coincide and are entirely tainted by hopes for Memphis - so there's that caveat.

BYU/SDSU is absolutely the best move that can be done. But it’s really hard to believe the PAC gets out of its own way.
08-02-2022 10:38 PM
joeben69 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: sdsu, ucsd, usd
(08-02-2022 06:49 AM)jrj84105 Wrote:  No expansion until UCSD decides to field a football team.

This has been discussed in other threads:

Add:
SDSU (all sports)
Hawaii (fb-only)/UCSD (non-fb)
08-03-2022 01:46 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I think you have 4 schools that want out bad, and to be B10. You have 2 that are praying the Pac stays together, and 4 more that likely would like to stay Pac, but will jump if any of the first 4 leave. I don't believe any of them really want to bring in MWC schools.
08-03-2022 09:09 AM
b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
(08-02-2022 10:28 AM)AztecEmpire Wrote:  Once UW/UO get over being left behind by the LA schools they'll realize they're the kings of what could potentially become a 16-20 team western mega conf. It won't be the BIG/SEC but it could still be a great conf. I think KU/OSU/TTU/TCU/HOU/CSU join the PAC in a few years and the new contract $$ eases the two years of tv money the B12 schools would need to pay to exit (which would likely be negotiated down to 60-70% to speed up the process). B12 remnants gobble up the best of the MW/AAC and become the BOR of mostly top G5s and some left behind P5s.

UW/WAZZU/UO/OSU

Cal/Stan/ASU/UA

UU/CU/CSU/KU

OSU/TTU/TCU/HOU

It's really interesting that you left SDSU out of this but included CSU. I think the P12 will expand back to 12 at least. The writing is on the wall if you're CU, Utah, WSU, ASU and OSU. They need to go ahead and get some new schools into the conference. Why would they wait and basically be forced into the Big 12?
08-03-2022 09:18 AM
b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
(08-02-2022 10:38 PM)AztecEmpire Wrote:  
(08-02-2022 07:42 PM)RockyMTNTiger Wrote:  It could be sooner than anyone thinks. Right now the TV folks are advising them on the best adds. Without a doubt one is SDSU and the other is BYU. Both of those schools would help keep the band together and I could see the PAC snobs holding their noses for both - not so much for Boise. After that - perhaps Kansas and one of TCU/SMU and/or Texas Tech.

BYU/SDSU is absolutely the best move that can be done. But it’s really hard to believe the PAC gets out of its own way.

I agree on BYU for sure. After that it's debatable. I think Kansas is probably next. BYU is more than likely a non-starter though. If they could get past that the P12 would take the B12's 2 most valuable properties.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2022 09:21 AM by b2b.)
08-03-2022 09:20 AM
jacksfan29! Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jackrabbits, Army, CU
They will not expand and stay at 10. There is no consensus within the league schools. Two or three, maybe 4 are eying the B1G. The rest are hanging on for dear life hoping the 10 stay together. They will negotiate a $25 - $30 million deal, take the money, and see what happens. The league offices have ZERO control over the future. The future of the league will be decided by the B1G and possibly the Big 12 (see UA overtures).
08-03-2022 09:24 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
PAC won't reload until they see which schools get the golden ticket out of
the conference. The conference also won't reload until the revenue sharing
issue is over too. If Oregon and Washington continue to push unequal revenue
sharing the 4 corner schools will head to the B-12. Also, the members will wait
on expansion until the TV contract dollars are settled on. Right now, there are
too many unknows for expansion. 07-coffee3
08-03-2022 10:06 AM
Big Foote Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SMU
(08-03-2022 09:24 AM)jacksfan29! Wrote:  They will not expand and stay at 10. There is no consensus within the league schools. Two or three, maybe 4 are eying the B1G. The rest are hanging on for dear life hoping the 10 stay together. They will negotiate a $25 - $30 million deal, take the money, and see what happens. The league offices have ZERO control over the future. The future of the league will be decided by the B1G and possibly the Big 12 (see UA overtures).

PAC has to expand by 4 teams or they face the possiblity of being the Southwest conference within 2 years! They need to add SDSU, SMU, Boise State and Air Force (fooball only)/Gonzaga (all other sports).
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2022 10:29 AM by Big Foote.)
08-03-2022 10:27 AM
PicksUp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP, Texas
(08-03-2022 10:27 AM)Big Foote Wrote:  
(08-03-2022 09:24 AM)jacksfan29! Wrote:  They will not expand and stay at 10. There is no consensus within the league schools. Two or three, maybe 4 are eying the B1G. The rest are hanging on for dear life hoping the 10 stay together. They will negotiate a $25 - $30 million deal, take the money, and see what happens. The league offices have ZERO control over the future. The future of the league will be decided by the B1G and possibly the Big 12 (see UA overtures).

PAC has to expand by 4 teams or they face the possiblity of being the Southwest conference within 2 years! They need to add SDSU, SMU, Boise State and Air Force (fooball only)/Gonzaga (all other sports).

No they dont. Adding teams wont keep anyone from leaving later.

Again, if anyone leaves they can add teams at that point.
08-03-2022 10:41 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(08-03-2022 10:41 AM)PicksUp Wrote:  

It's not necessary, but if they expand now, even with G5 schools, those schools will become 'PAC schools.' Then, should the PAC later lose schools to the Big Ten, it will still have a critical mass of PAC schools to weather that storm.

See Utah and TCU, who were once 'non-BCS' outsiders but that are now perceived as and accepted in the autonomy-conference structure to the same extent as Oregon and Oklahoma State.
08-03-2022 10:55 AM
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
From the commissioner:

Step 1: get all 10 to sign a GOR for the next 5-6 years

This contract will have language articulating pay increases if adding properties of certain reaches

Step 2: probably go to 12 (SDSU+?) to maximize that contract

If the commissioner can’t get Step 1 done it is because Stanford/Washington/Oregon have assurances (not just hopes and wishes) they will start 2024, ‘25 at the latest, in a new conference making more money.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2022 12:27 PM by Crayton.)
08-03-2022 12:25 PM
Big Foote Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SMU

Does not keep anyone from leaving, but provides some protection should they leave! In today's environment you have to have numbers to help prevent extinction. Adding 4 will probably initially reduce the $'s per school, but these schools are your safety net and you can pay them a reduced share for 2 to 5 years. SMU, Memphis and Boise State have opportunities at the Big 12 and/or ACC - think about what's left after these schools come off the board - it is going to get thin! SDSU is in the same catagory, but not quite as flexible because of their location.
08-03-2022 01:16 PM
hk25 Offline
Special Teams

Adding teams is not for the purpose of preventing your top brands from moving up, they will do that if you expand or stay at 10…..if staying at 10 makes everyone stay for at least the next 10 years maybe you stay at 10, but it doesn’t.

But you expand now knowing there is a chance you do have someone get promoted. That way you build up the value of the new members starting now so that when other teams leave you don’t take as big of a TV$ hit later if you wait to add then. It also gives you a buffer if multiple teams are promoted.

The current tv$ will be arranged so no current team takes a hit from adding new schools, so only teams that would vote against expansion are likely ones scared to get exposed by new adds beating them regularly between now & next promotion window…..or ones that are trying to sabotage the conference for their benefit if the think they are leaving.

I believe it will probably drag out longer than the B12 did last year, but ultimately the PAC will reach a similar decision & expand.

Also I don’t believe there is a 3rd Power conference coming once SEC/B1G are done. You won’t be able to cherry-pick the best of the rest and get anywhere close to the $ of the P2. I want to believe all 3 of PAC/B12/ACC survive through expansion. I believe the B12 has shown they will expand and survive & have set their exit fees just high enough that no one leaves to anyone other than B1G/SEC. But there is a chance 1 of the other 2 plays too conservative and gets themselves eliminated, but that would be their own mis management by not expanding at a time when it could make a difference.
08-03-2022 01:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.