Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UIW mens soccer booted from WAC
AssKickingChicken Online
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
RE: UIW mens soccer booted from WAC
It does suck for the people in the program to be forced into the wilderness, but that's life.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2022 05:01 PM by AssKickingChicken.)
08-02-2022 05:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Huan Offline
1st String

I Root For: TTU, USA,
(08-02-2022 10:57 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  
(08-02-2022 10:21 AM)Huan Wrote:  What happened?

1. In November 2021 UIW agreed to join the WAC as an all-sports member beginning this fall.
2. Just five weeks ago UIW reneged and told the WAC it would stay in the Southland instead.
3. The WAC asked UIW to at least play football in the WAC this coming season so as to save all of the WAC football programs from having to scramble at the last minute to replace UIW on their schedules; UIW refused.
4. When the WAC men’s soccer schedule appeared UIW was not on it.

Thank you
08-02-2022 05:22 PM
jimrtex Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston, Tulsa, Colorado
(08-02-2022 04:29 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  UIW leaving WAC football schedule in the lurch is one of the few times where I think a conference booting their affiliate in response is reasonable. That they have a SLC football schedule means UIW knew well before they backed out that this was going to be their action.

Justified IMO.
We don't know that the WAC booted them.

The WAC had football, women's soccer, women's volleyball, and men's soccer schedule that included UIW. Presumably, the men's soccer schedule was drafted with them as a full member.

Incidentally, UIW announced an interim head coach for the women's soccer team on August 1. The previous coach took a job as assistant head coach at SMU on June 6. Maybe she had an inkling of the financial state of UIW athletics. Or maybe she couldn't get an answer whether UIW would be playing in the WAC or Southland (UIW made their announcement of staying in the Southland on June 24).
08-02-2022 07:55 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(08-02-2022 07:55 PM)jimrtex Wrote:  
(08-02-2022 04:29 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  UIW leaving WAC football schedule in the lurch is one of the few times where I think a conference booting their affiliate in response is reasonable. That they have a SLC football schedule means UIW knew well before they backed out that this was going to be their action.

Justified IMO.

The WAC had football, women's soccer, women's volleyball, and men's soccer schedule that included UIW. Presumably, the men's soccer schedule was drafted with them as a full member.

Incidentally, UIW announced an interim head coach for the women's soccer team on August 1. The previous coach took a job as assistant head coach at SMU on June 6. Maybe she had an inkling of the financial state of UIW athletics. Or maybe she couldn't get an answer whether UIW would be playing in the WAC or Southland (UIW made their announcement of staying in the Southland on June 24).

Where is UIW’s “announcement” that they left WAC soccer and in that same release, where their team will play this season?

Why would they “voluntarily” leave and not put out anything about it?
08-02-2022 08:58 PM
AssKickingChicken Online
1st String

The Southland sponsors women's soccer so their women's program has a home. I seriously doubt the men's team would suddenly leave an alliance they have been in for a number of years to become independent of their own choice.
08-03-2022 02:41 AM
SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs

Justified IMO.

At this point that is just speculation.
08-03-2022 08:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
Since we are all just making a mess of this, here's what we can definitively say:

Incarnate Word was on originally released WAC conference men's soccer schedules.

Today, Incarnate Word is not on the WAC conference schedules nor listed on the standings page of the official WAC website.

The only school according to the WAC league schedules page that has Incarnate Word on their schedule is Houston Baptist which has them listed twice (home-and-away).

As of this moment, Incarnate Word has not released a men's soccer schedule and the season starts in a few weeks.
08-03-2022 08:37 AM
jimrtex Offline
All American

(08-02-2022 08:58 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  

Justified IMO.

Where is UIW’s “announcement” that they left WAC soccer and in that same release, where their team will play this season?

Why would they “voluntarily” leave and not put out anything about it?
Why would UIW necessarily announce that? When they "joined" the UIW they noted that they sponsored all sports sponsored by the WAC, which implicitly included men's soccer and men's and women's swimming and diving, which prior to July 1, 2022 were affiliated with the WAC.

Did UIW sign any contracts? What about UTA? When did UTA sign its contract?

Did the WAC lawyers draft a contract for UIW and UTA. Did UTA sign theirs and send it back? Did UIW call the WAC and say they were still undecided.

WAC officials were reported to have been to San Antonio trying to figure out what UIW wanted. At some point, the WAC had to draft schedules for football, volleyball, and men's and women's soccer, so that the schools could make arrangements for the remainder of their schedule as well as arranging transportation and hotels for road trips.

Are you in or out? Maybe UIW gave assurances that they would play the schedule even if they didn't move (to the WAC). Maybe the Southland told UIW that they could schedule them (the Southland had a schedule where the 6 members had been scheduled for a round-robin, along with an extra game against another conference team - which might not have counted in the standings. If only UIW had "returned" it would have been easy to adjust the schedule. With Lamar also returning, they won't be playing a full round-robin.)

UIW did make a press release (on July 14) that they were moving their men's and women's swimming and diving to the MPSF. The announcement said that it would unify all their affiliates in the MPSF. In 2021-22 the fencing and artistic swimming programs were in the MPSF.

The press-release did not say they were kicked out of the WAC. It did not say that they left the WAC. It did not mention that they had ever been in the WAC.

Maybe UIW threatened to sue for being kicked out of the affiliate program. Maybe the WAC threatened to counter-sue. Maybe they agreed that UIW would just leave.

Maybe nobody even remembered that UIW had been an affiliate. Maybe the commissioner told some assistant to redo the schedules. Which ones? All of them. It became even more of a mess when Lamar left early. Football would have been the big concern. For volleyball and men's and women's soccer you could simply cancel one game. It would be up to the schools to find an OOC opponent as a replacement.

I was looking at the formation of WAC men's soccer. In the last season of MPSF, only Seattle and CSU-Bakersfield were members.

When the WAC took over in 2013, Grand Canyon and UMKC were added. They inherited San Jose State, UNLV, AFA, and HBU. Denver and New Mexico did affiliate with the WAC (DU moved to the Summit, and New Mexico dropped soccer).

In 2014, UVU joined the WAC and Incarnate Word affiliated. Both of these were a result of a move to DI.

In 2015, UTRGV "added" soccer as a result of the merger. Pan American had been a WAC member and UTRGV inherited that membership. UT-Brownsville had a DII soccer program. UTRGV inherited the soccer program but essentially reconstituted it at the Edinburg campus.

In 2018, Cal Baptist joined the WAC.

In 2020, CSU-Bakersfield and Kansas City left the WAC, but Dixie State (now Utah Tech) joined. Chicago State was supposed to add soccer, but didn't actually accomplish that until 2021. They "left" for 2022.

As a result of all the changes, WAC men's soccer now has 6 full members, and four affiliates (San Jose State, UNLV, AFA, and HBU).

With UCLA moving to the B1G, the Pac-12 soccer is down to five schools (UW, OSU, Stanford, and Cal, plus affiliate San Diego State).

It would not be surprising if MPSF restarted men's soccer with the four Pac-12 schools, the four Mountain West schools, and maybe UIW and HBU.
08-03-2022 08:38 AM
jimrtex Offline
All American

(08-03-2022 08:14 AM)SMUstang Wrote:  

Justified IMO.

It as speculative that the WAC booted them.
08-03-2022 08:42 AM
SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
(08-03-2022 08:42 AM)jimrtex Wrote:  

Justified IMO.

Could be message board fodder - no announcement or fall 2022 schedule yet. However it looks like the WAC will have 10 men's soccer teams in 2022 and UIW is not one of them.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2022 04:43 PM by SMUstang.)
08-03-2022 11:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
Well, good job, WAC. Right when the Pac is looking for men's soccer members too (bye UNLV?). Anywho, I'd expect UIW's program to be picked up by the Summit, or maybe the MVC, both of which are at odd numbers.
08-03-2022 06:02 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(08-03-2022 06:02 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  Well, good job, WAC. Right when the Pac is looking for men's soccer members too (bye UNLV?). Anywho, I'd expect UIW's program to be picked up by the Summit, or maybe the MVC, both of which are at odd numbers.

WAC has 6 members who sponsor mens soccer. Don’t really need UNLV either.
08-03-2022 06:19 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

Justified IMO.

Why would UIW voluntarily leave and make no mention of it? I guess they told their new conference to wait and make an announcement? Lol, okay
08-03-2022 06:22 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

(08-03-2022 06:19 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(08-03-2022 06:02 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  Well, good job, WAC. Right when the Pac is looking for men's soccer members too (bye UNLV?). Anywho, I'd expect UIW's program to be picked up by the Summit, or maybe the MVC, both of which are at odd numbers.

For now, sure... 07-coffee3
08-03-2022 06:24 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(08-03-2022 06:24 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  

And UNLV would make a decision to join Pac 12 soccer because of the way UIW was treated? Sure…
08-03-2022 06:31 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

(08-03-2022 06:31 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(08-03-2022 06:24 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  

And UNLV would make a decision to join Pac 12 soccer because of the way UIW was treated? Sure…

Not sure how you got that. Come 2024, the Pac will be down to 5 men's soccer programs.
08-03-2022 07:09 PM
AssKickingChicken Online
1st String

Maybe the PAC should invite UIW to affiliate.
08-03-2022 07:28 PM
jimrtex Offline
All American

(08-03-2022 06:22 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  

Justified IMO.

Why would UIW voluntarily leave and make no mention of it? I guess they told their new conference to wait and make an announcement? Lol, okay

Maybe they didn't want to confuse matters.

UIW Recommits to Growing Southland Conference

TL:DR "UIW has decided to stay with the Southland."

There is no mention of blowing up the schedules - or trying to explain why or why not men's soccer and men's and women's swimming and diving would be retaining their WAC affiliation status.

Whether someone quit or was fired may be ambiguous.

Again, their announcement that they were joining the MPSF for swimming and diving (both sexes) did not mention where they had been affiliated previously, or whether they quit or were kicked out. It simply said that they wanted to put all of their affiliated programs in one place (their fencing and artictic swimming were already in the MPSF).

It is possible that the MPSF will restart men's soccer now that UCLA is leaving the PAC-12.

That leaves the PAC-12 soccer with four schools + San Diego State.

Back prior to the WAC sponsoring men's soccer, the MPSF had Seattle and CSU-Bakersfield; four Mountain West schools, San Jose State, UNLV, AFA, and New Mexico, Denver and Houston Baptist.

The WAC took over sponsorship so they could meet the 3 team sport requirement. New Mexico dropped soccer, and DU moved to the Summit League. Grand Canyon and UMKC joined the WAC including soccer programs.

Since then CSU-Bakersfield and UMKC left the WAC, but Cal Baptist, Utah Valley, and Utah Tech joined along with their soccer programs, and UTRGV added soccer as a result of the merger between Pan American and UT-Brownsville. Incarnate Word affiliated when they moved to DI.

Now that the WAC has 6 schools of its own, it would make sense for the MPSF to re-form soccer with Washington, OSU, Stanford, Cal, San Jose State, UNLV, San Diego State, AFA, HBU, and Incarnate Word.

UIW has at least 7 matches scheduled:

August 25 and 27 against Campbell and Furman, as part of an invitational at HBU, where HBU plays them in opposite order.

September 2 and 4 against Evansville and St.Thomas (MN) as part of an invitational at Dayton.

September 12 @ ORU.

September 25 @ HBU.

October 30 hosting HBU.
08-03-2022 09:44 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

Thanks again for the MPSF and WAC soccer history lesson. Even if the MPSF sponsors soccer again, why would a relatively “poor” school like UIW, “prefer” to play only schools 2 time zones away and not remain in the WAC with 2 other Texas schools?
08-03-2022 10:15 PM
jimrtex Offline
All American

(08-03-2022 10:15 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Thanks again for the MPSF and WAC soccer history lesson. Even if the MPSF sponsors soccer again, why would a relatively “poor” school like UIW, “prefer” to play only schools 2 time zones away and not remain in the WAC with 2 other Texas schools?
There are only four DI schools in Texas that sponsor men's soccer: SMU, UIW, HBU, and UTRGV. There are none in Louisiana, Mississippi, Kansas, or New Mexico.

There are two in OK (Tulsa and ORU), one in Arkansas (Central Arkansas), and two in Colorado (AFA and DU).

If MPSF re-forms soccer, HBU would presumably move.

AFA, UNLV, HBU and San Jose State would be common to both configurations.

San Diego State, Washington, Oregon State, Cal, Stanford

vs.

UTRGV, Grand Canyon, Utah Tech, Utah Valley, Cal Baptist, Seattle.

I don't see much difference.
08-04-2022 06:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.