dcg141 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Leaving the AAC
RE: We need to go ahead and call the Mountain West
(08-04-2022 07:52 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  
(08-04-2022 06:51 PM)dcg141 Wrote:  
(08-01-2022 08:07 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  
(08-01-2022 07:36 PM)dcg141 Wrote:  
(08-01-2022 07:28 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  Saying ‘I don’t believe it’ doesn’t change the facts.
Then show me where that happened. Show me were they selected those schools, promised not to renegotiate the contract and made that public.

I'm not doing your research for you. my info comes from Mike Aresco radio interviews and honestly I'm cool with sitting back and watching you slowly but surely realize that information is correct. Tell us more about paying 18 million and walking away from 54 million in exit fees to play in a lesser conf.

If ESPN did indeed torpedo a AAC/MW deal should we not start to ask why? ESPN is not acting in our best interest and we need to recognize that. It's pretty obvious that its a stronger conference than taking 6 CUSA schools. In fact it weakens the AAC's position going forward. Is no one curious why they would suggest that? And if were just going to do whatever a media company tells us why do we need a commissioner?

they did not torpedo a merger. the AAC asked ESPN who do we need to add to keep our legacy payouts...the answer was UNT (Dallas), FAU (Miami), UTSA (San Antonio), Charlotte, and UAB (Birmingham)

essentially we needed 6 big market teams just to make up for the eyeballs lost with Cincy, Houston, and UCF.

and moreover, what happens if the PAC steals away SDSU and someone else from the MWC? their TV deal will drop ever farther behind ours.

Those schools do not deliver those markets. Never will. Anyone with an understanding of college football knows that. The AAC is weakened adding 6 CUSA schools. We get a few paydays then it’s a slow death for football if we don’t get out.
08-04-2022 11:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(08-04-2022 10:12 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  
(08-03-2022 02:54 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  
(08-03-2022 08:56 AM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  
(08-03-2022 08:06 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  
(08-03-2022 05:34 AM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Well the BCS has been dead for sometime now. But they do have access to the playoffs.

Then there is the GOR they have with the ACC.

They have no reason to go to any conference right now. Even though in theory they could make more money doing so.

There is talk of the ACC renegotiating their TV with network if they could get ND to come on full time and allowing them to keep home TV rights.

If they could do that then the amount of money needed to do so would have WV leaving the Big XII for the ACC.

ND's GOR with the ACC does not include football. So ND's would not have much "penalty" at all for abandoning the ACC. It's a non-factor.

Yes it does.

It states that if ND decides to join a conference in football that they must join the ACC.

They are contractually obligated to the ACC until 2036 if they join a conference in football.

https://slapthesign.com/2021/07/30/notre...dependent/

That article is a year old, and written by someone that no one knows. It has not withstood the scrutiny dictated by current circumstances and does not go in depth.

All of the below articles are recent and from (mostly) reputable sources. They all admit that ND has a contract that runs through 2036 that says they would "have" to join the ACC if any conference. But the buyout of that contract is 3 years of NON-FOOTBALL revenue. Non-fb revenue because the ACC does not control ND's football grant of rights. The David Hale twitter feed points out that the pre-COVID number for this non-fb revenue share was $10.8M/year. For 3 years, that's a $33M buyout - aka chump change in today's world of athletics.

ESPN+

ESPN - David Hale twitter

247 sports

NC State beat writer

https://247sports.com/Article/Explaining...ent%20deal

If ND wants to go to B1G before their current contract with the ACC expires it will cost them either $100 million or 3 times the per team payout at the time. Which ever is higher.

I have seen nothing that says "whichever is higher" in the many articles I've read - including the one you linked. It appears no one has leaked the actual contract, so everyone is guessing. And what they are guessing is that $100M is the MAX - and that is based upon the 3x annual ACC payout of $32.8M

The flaw with this logic is that the $32.8M is the FULL MEMBER share - including football tv share - which is by far the largest chunk of the money. And ND is not a FULL MEMBER - they don't get an ACC football share because they are independent and have their own lucrative deal.

ND's largest ACC payout was ~$11M. So 3x that is $33M. It's pretty simple - IF that is what the contract calls for.

So I believe we have the min and max estimates for the penalty. Either one could be easily paid by ND. The B1G's tv contract is expected to go to $100M per year per school with the addition of USC/UCLA. Add ND, and it grows even more. Compare that to $33M with the ACC. So even if the penalty is $100M, ND makes that up in less than 2 years.

The "GOR" nor the penalty will keep ND from joining the B1G if they want to do so - as you claim. It's going to all come down to playoff access.
08-05-2022 09:16 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
(08-01-2022 07:36 PM)dcg141 Wrote:  
(08-01-2022 07:28 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  Saying ‘I don’t believe it’ doesn’t change the facts.
Then show me where that happened. Show me were they selected those schools, promised not to renegotiate the contract and made that public.

I'm not doing your research for you. my info comes from Mike Aresco radio interviews and honestly I'm cool with sitting back and watching you slowly but surely realize that information is correct. Tell us more about paying 18 million and walking away from 54 million in exit fees to play in a lesser conf.

If ESPN did indeed torpedo a AAC/MW deal should we not start to ask why? ESPN is not acting in our best interest and we need to recognize that. It's pretty obvious that its a stronger conference than taking 6 CUSA schools. In fact it weakens the AAC's position going forward. Is no one curious why they would suggest that? And if were just going to do whatever a media company tells us why do we need a commissioner?

they did not torpedo a merger. the AAC asked ESPN who do we need to add to keep our legacy payouts...the answer was UNT (Dallas), FAU (Miami), UTSA (San Antonio), Charlotte, and UAB (Birmingham)

essentially we needed 6 big market teams just to make up for the eyeballs lost with Cincy, Houston, and UCF.

and moreover, what happens if the PAC steals away SDSU and someone else from the MWC? their TV deal will drop ever farther behind ours.

I didn't look it up, but I'd bet there are as many eyeballs in Shelby County as there are in the entire state of Idaho. Plus the Memphis market includes a couple of the adjacent counties in Mississippi and Fayette + Tipton counties....

Edit. Idaho 1.75 M, Montana 1.1 M, Wyoming 0.6M as of 2020.

Those three states together don't bring many eyeballs.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2022 12:18 PM by bluebacker.)
08-06-2022 12:15 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(08-06-2022 12:15 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  
(08-01-2022 07:36 PM)dcg141 Wrote:  Then show me where that happened. Show me were they selected those schools, promised not to renegotiate the contract and made that public.

I didn't look it up, but I'd bet there are as many eyeballs in Shelby County as there are in the entire state of Idaho. Plus the Memphis market includes a couple of the adjacent counties in Mississippi and Fayette + Tipton counties....

we supposedly have 633,930 TV households in Memphis' metro...I'm assuming something like 2.25 people per TV household but that's just a guess.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2022 08:11 PM by UofMemphis.)
08-06-2022 12:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
What if we call and get a recording ?
08-06-2022 02:05 PM
SouthernMSTiger Offline
Special Teams

(08-06-2022 02:05 PM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  What if we call and get a recording ?

“We are currently helping other customers. Please stay on the line. You are currently second in line to receive the next available invitation. I repeat: You are second in line. Please hold. “
08-06-2022 02:20 PM
jsw3ent Online
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
(08-06-2022 02:20 PM)SouthernMSTiger Wrote:  

“We are currently helping other customers. Please stay on the line. You are currently second in line to receive the next available invitation. I repeat: You are second in line. Please hold. “

03-lmfao 04-cheers 03-lmfao
08-06-2022 02:28 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(08-06-2022 02:28 PM)jsw3ent Wrote:  

03-lmfao 04-cheers 03-lmfao

Yep, funny!
08-11-2022 12:08 PM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

03-lmfao

This is great!
08-11-2022 08:55 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

Things change every day, but as of now...

It is looking more and more likely that the Colorado and Arizona schools will move to the Big XII.

The Colorado BOR has had multiple meetings over the last few weeks. The BIG XII may end up with the better money offer, and if so, the "4 corners" schools are expected to jump.

If this happens, Memphis isn't going to the Big XII. It doesn't mean something else may not pop up.

I may have to eat crow on the Mountain West though. I hope not, but...
08-15-2022 10:32 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-15-2022 10:32 AM)Claw Wrote:  Things change every day, but as of now...

It is looking more and more likely that the Colorado and Arizona schools will move to the Big XII.

The Colorado BOR has had multiple meetings over the last few weeks. The BIG XII may end up with the better money offer, and if so, the "4 corners" schools are expected to jump.

If this happens, Memphis isn't going to the Big XII. It doesn't mean something else may not pop up.

Where is it projected the current B12 gets better $ than the current PAC? Everything I've seen has said pretty equal.
08-15-2022 11:53 AM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-15-2022 11:53 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  

Where is it projected the current B12 gets better $ than the current PAC? Everything I've seen has said pretty equal.

I think some of the big guys are asking for unequal revenue sharing. I have seen conflicting reports. Some say uneven TV revenue and some say just less sharing of postseason money.

What we DO know is Colorado's BOR keeps meeting on the subject. Something is up on way or the other.
08-15-2022 12:09 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-15-2022 12:09 PM)Claw Wrote:  

I think some of the big guys are asking for unequal revenue sharing. I have seen conflicting reports. Some say uneven TV revenue and some say just less sharing of postseason money.

What we DO know is Colorado's BOR keeps meeting on the subject. Something is up on way or the other.

I believe they and others want in the B1G. But the B1G doesn't want them. I don't think they are licking their chops to get back to the B12.
08-15-2022 01:56 PM
Keeper Offline
All American

I would be extremely surprised if Colorado returns to the bigxii
08-15-2022 08:23 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(08-15-2022 12:09 PM)Claw Wrote:  

If the B-12 can actually attract PAC schools, we're doomed for any move up for years to come, if ever.
08-15-2022 10:59 PM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers

We aren't on the Big XII radar. The fact that they jump us to take the last four and now they jump us again to "consider" the four corner schools tells us where we are on their priority list.

For us and Boise to get in if all else fails is still a long shot.
08-16-2022 09:19 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

We're on the radar. We're not ahead of any current PAC schools. But we're definitely on the radar.

If the PAC manages to keep all schools, we've got a decent shot at the B12.
If the PAC stays together and pulls BYU and maybe a Texas school, we've got a great shot at the B12.
If the ACC pulls WVU and/or Cincy, we've got a great shot at the B12.

Only if the PAC falls apart, then we've got no real shot at the B12 - but we've got a decent shot at the ACC when they get raided.
08-16-2022 10:52 AM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-16-2022 10:52 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  We're on the radar. We're not ahead of any current PAC schools. But we're definitely on the radar.

If the PAC stays together and pulls BYU and maybe a Texas school, we've got a great shot at the B12.

Only if the PAC falls apart, then we've got no real shot at the B12 - but we've got a decent shot at the ACC when they get raided.

If the ACC grant of rights holds up, and it looks like it will, nothing is going to happen to the ACC for a decade or more. We will have to fight like hell to maintain our spot as the next best option for ten more years. It is not a given.
08-16-2022 11:03 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-16-2022 11:03 AM)Claw Wrote:  
(08-16-2022 10:52 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  We're on the radar. We're not ahead of any current PAC schools. But we're definitely on the radar.

If the ACC grant of rights holds up, and it looks like it will, nothing is going to happen to the ACC for a decade or more. We will have to fight like hell to maintain our spot as the next best option for ten more years. It is not a given.

I doubt it holds up.
They will lose some teams within 12 months - too much money at stake for schools like Clemson and FSU.
It just a matter of when they announce, and when they exit.
08-16-2022 11:51 AM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-16-2022 11:51 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  
(08-16-2022 11:03 AM)Claw Wrote:  

I doubt it holds up.
They will lose some teams within 12 months - too much money at stake for schools like Clemson and FSU.
It just a matter of when they announce, and when they exit.
I don't think so. We'll see. The cost of leaving is simply too high.
08-16-2022 04:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.