Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is a 9 game conference schedule on the table?
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
Is a 9 game conference schedule on the table?
My team likes the 8-game conference schedule because we also play Kentucky on an annual basis, and in those years we also play Notre Dame, that only leaves us with 2 slots to schedule.

So ... expanding to a 9-game schedule would only leave us with 1 slot in those Notre Dame years.

I know Clemson, Florida State and Georgia Tech are in similar (if not worse) positions.

However ....

The easiest way to reset things on our TV deal is to add that 9th conference game, increasing TV inventory. Throw in the division-less model, and you can improve the quality of the games in your inventory.

While it puts the squeeze on my Cards, I think that improving the bottom line may be worth it.

Is this even being considered?

07-coffee3
05-13-2022 11:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

RE: Is a 9 game conference schedule on the table?
I agree….
05-13-2022 12:18 PM
Schema Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Clemson
It doesn't seem to be on the table, or at least no one in the media is really talking about it right now.

It seems like the Pac-12 is serious about trimming back from nine to eight eventually. I know the B1G said they have thought about it, but have decided to stick with nine. Maybe the ACC, Pac-12, Disney, and FOX can all work out a deal to have a bunch of annual ACC vs Pac-12 matchups.

I know Clemson would prefer to have the annual UofSC game, and then another game against the SEC. So, adding a Pac-12 game wouldn't be high on their list, but it may be for other ACC teams. Having said that, I've posted many times that, as a season ticket holder, I'm ready for Clemson to give up the seventh home game each year in order to play more exciting P5 games. Perhaps if there is a substantial bump in the media contract payouts, they would be willing to agree to another annual game against the Pac-12 in years they are not playing ND. It would require sacrificing one of the guaranteed G5 or in-state FCS games each year. I'm not sure how open to that they would be and I know the town of Clemson would hate it.
05-13-2022 12:20 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(05-13-2022 11:52 AM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  My team likes the 8-game conference schedule because we also play Kentucky on an annual basis, and in those years we also play Notre Dame, that only leaves us with 2 slots to schedule.

So ... expanding to a 9-game schedule would only leave us with 1 slot in those Notre Dame years.

I know Clemson, Florida State and Georgia Tech are in similar (if not worse) positions.

However ....

The easiest way to reset things on our TV deal is to add that 9th conference game, increasing TV inventory. Throw in the division-less model, and you can improve the quality of the games in your inventory.

While it puts the squeeze on my Cards, I think that improving the bottom line may be worth it.

07-coffee3

ESPN would have to be willing to back up the truck (a la the SEC contract) to get 9.
05-13-2022 12:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
(05-13-2022 11:52 AM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  My team likes the 8-game conference schedule because we also play Kentucky on an annual basis, and in those years we also play Notre Dame, that only leaves us with 2 slots to schedule.

However ....

07-coffee3

https://twitter.com/ByDavidTeel/status/1...4401559552

LOSS OF APPETITE
05-13-2022 12:23 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
Does that “reset” the deal though? Unless the deal goes to market, why would ESPN offer market rate.

Sounds like it is on the table. Including ND in game counts could help FSU, Clemson, et al. Don’t know if it is likelihood at this point. Not sure they can get much money from this.
05-13-2022 12:25 PM
Advertisement

green Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-13-2022 12:20 PM)Schema Wrote:  It doesn't seem to be on the table, or at least no one in the media is really talking about it right now.

It seems like the Pac-12 is serious about trimming back from nine to eight eventually. I know the B1G said they have thought about it, but have decided to stick with nine. Maybe the ACC, Pac-12, Disney, and FOX can all work out a deal to have a bunch of annual ACC vs Pac-12 matchups.

I know Clemson would prefer to have the annual UofSC game, and then another game against the SEC. So, adding a Pac-12 game wouldn't be high on their list, but it may be for other ACC teams. Having said that, I've posted many times that, as a season ticket holder, I'm ready for Clemson to give up the seventh home game each year in order to play more exciting P5 games. Perhaps if there is a substantial bump in the media contract payouts, they would be willing to agree to another annual game against the Pac-12 in years they are not playing ND. It would require sacrificing one of the guaranteed G5 or in-state FCS games each year. I'm not sure how open to that they would be and I know the town of Clemson would hate it.

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/statu...0107183105

BUDGET FOR
05-13-2022 12:48 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

However ....

07-coffee3

bears repeating ...
should b1g relent ...
those notre dame series in the out years ...
in doubt ...

IMHO (IN MY HUMBLE OPINION)
05-13-2022 01:12 PM
Schema Offline
Special Teams

(05-13-2022 01:12 PM)green Wrote:  bears repeating ...
should b1g relent ...
in doubt ...

I feel like I'm missing a cipher that is needed to decrypt your posts.
05-13-2022 01:32 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(05-13-2022 01:32 PM)Schema Wrote:  
should b1g relent ...
in doubt ...

Try this: 3555c0a8-a9bf-11ec-8f3e-f23c92dd5fb6
05-13-2022 01:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Schema Offline
Special Teams

(05-13-2022 01:51 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Try this: 3555c0a8-a9bf-11ec-8f3e-f23c92dd5fb6

It didn't help with the decryption, but I was able to use it to authenticate an installation of Windows 95.
05-13-2022 02:01 PM
Advertisement

domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(05-13-2022 01:51 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
should b1g relent ...
in doubt ...

Try this: 3555c0a8-a9bf-11ec-8f3e-f23c92dd5fb6

I thought you were sharing your crypto address.
05-13-2022 02:07 PM
random asian guy Offline
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown

However ....

07-coffee3

Probably not. When Phillips had joined the ACC, he mentioned that possibility. No more talk about that anymore, indicating the ESPN is not willing to pay or some member schools absolutely don’t want the 9 games or both.
05-13-2022 08:36 PM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
I think 9 games brings $$ to ACC TV Contract, however might not happen until the next look in
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2022 08:53 PM by GTFletch.)
05-13-2022 08:53 PM
kurt wallis Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: acc
Will a 5-4-4 work to get to 9 conference games. And more money from ESPN ?.... I know the 4 games against KY.-SC-GA-FL end of year aren't going away...And ND 5 games aren't going away....So some years Louisville--Clemson--G.T.--F.S.U.-- would be playing 11 P5's.... Other ACC schools must pay 1 P5 a year when not playing N.D. !!! Will sure help with great inventory for ESPN !... What do you think ?
05-13-2022 10:15 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(05-13-2022 12:25 PM)Crayton Wrote:  Does that “reset” the deal though? Unless the deal goes to market, why would ESPN offer market rate.

Sounds like it is on the table. Including ND in game counts could help FSU, Clemson, et al. Don’t know if it is likelihood at this point. Not sure they can get much money from this.

Because it's only Market rate on the added games, not the whole contract. So the difference between the game lost (probably G5 or FCS) and an addition ACC game.

Also, at the last look in, ESPN wanted us to take less money because we did such a poor job of living up to our existing contract. So since the market value right now for additional games is at an all time low, this really isn't the time to adjust divisions or add a 9th game. If the desired outcome is significantly more money from ESPN.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2022 07:42 AM by ChrisLords.)
05-14-2022 07:41 AM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

should b1g relent ...
in doubt ...

I usually don’t have a problem. This one has me stumped.
05-14-2022 07:50 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-14-2022 07:50 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  
should b1g relent ...
in doubt ...

I usually don’t have a problem. This one has me stumped.

only b/c I like you ...
see post #7 ...

PROPER CONTEXT
05-14-2022 08:10 AM
GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
Here's something to consider, if the SEC goes to 9 conference games and the Big 12/PAC-12 stay at 9 conference games, then I think the ACC would want to follow suit with the rest of the P5, but I could be wrong.
05-14-2022 04:51 PM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
Top 5 Reasons a 9 Game Conference Schedule is Best

Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WtJ2KBQmfA
06-03-2022 10:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.