Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The future is now.
Bookmark and Share
BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
The future is now.
The new system is evolving faster than I anticipated. NCAA basketball non-P5 conferences are like MLB's minor league system. See what the draft (recruiting) brings and then develop the players so they can move up. A new team every year.

This changes the product that schools like ETSU has for the fans. The product isn't the same as what we have seen in the past.

Just like the old Appy league?

How does this impact you as a fan, your fan experience, etc.

Your thoughts?
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2022 05:36 PM by BucDoctor.)
05-09-2022 05:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shampoo Offline
All American

I Root For: blue and gold
RE: The future is now.
It’s tarnishing my passion for ETSU basketball, to be honest. It will always remain a favorite pastime—games at Freedom Hall and online when convenient. However, the last 2 years especially, with a new coach and half the roster changed, I’m less concerned about going out of my way to make my schedule work for attendance. Going to Asheville was a last second decision this year, whereas I would have planned 1-2 months ahead typically.

We are losing more of the people aspect, and if you can’t compensate for that with wins and big program game day experience, there’s not much left. Might as well remove the names from the players’ Jerseys.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2022 07:13 PM by shampoo.)
05-09-2022 06:37 PM
BaseballPops Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ETSU
(05-09-2022 06:37 PM)shampoo Wrote:  It’s tarnishing my passion for ETSU basketball, to be honest. It will always remain a favorite pastime—games at Freedom Hall and online when convenient. However, the last 2 years especially, with a new coach and half the roster changed, I’m less concerned about going out of my way to make my schedule work for attendance. Going to Asheville was a last second decision this year, whereas I would have planned 1-2 months ahead typically.

We are losing more of the people aspect, and if you can’t compensate for that with wins and big program game day experience, there’s not much left. Might as well remove the names from the players’ Jerseys.

Shampoo if there was a darn like button on this site, I would give you all the likes I could. My, and I suspect many other Buc fans/alumni thoughts as well. It Sucks!

Personally, not that many years removed from buying 16 season tix per year, going to many away games as well, always planning/going to Asheville for SoCon tourney, then NCAA's (hopefully) after that. Today's NCAA product is nothing more than running pick up games at Old South gym with folks just passing through town.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2022 12:37 PM by BaseballPops.)
05-10-2022 07:03 AM
Advertisement

Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(05-09-2022 05:35 PM)BucDoctor Wrote:  The new system is evolving faster than I anticipated. NCAA basketball non-P5 conferences are like MLB's minor league system. See what the draft (recruiting) brings and then develop the players so they can move up. A new team every year.

This changes the product that schools like ETSU has for the fans. The product isn't the same as what we have seen in the past.

Your thoughts?

I even speculated earlier that, perhaps, the non-Power 6 conferences will develop financial tie-ins with the Power 6 folks in a Major Leagues - Minor Leagues structure for sending players up and down. Sound preposterous? Perhaps, but if the big boys kick in financial incentives, how about the SoCon, for example, becoming the minor league of the SEC or ACC with the big boys sharing some of the wealth with their minor league brethren in order to develop players for the big time and receiving players not yet ready for the big time?

Now, for an old dude like me - this is all a bunch of crap. However, who knows how the younger generations might respond? But, my suspicion - schools in the ETSU category will be taking a hit fan wise in this Transfer Portal era.
05-10-2022 09:38 AM
frankenheimer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Purdue, ETSU
(05-09-2022 05:35 PM)BucDoctor Wrote:  The new system is evolving faster than I anticipated. NCAA basketball non-P5 conferences are like MLB's minor league system. See what the draft (recruiting) brings and then develop the players so they can move up. A new team every year.

Your thoughts?
I can't say how I will change with regards to college basketball. Part of the charm of college athletics is the imagined connection with the players (imagined because I've almost no personal contact with any of them); when they stay, you get to see them over a 2-5 year period until their senior day. If rosters end up built like travel ball teams, with nearly complete turnover every year, that connection is lost. Will I stop following them? I can't say that I know, but that aspect of my enjoyment is certainly threatened.

Between the NIL agreements and freedom of movement, an even wider gulf will open between the top teams and all others. How will that hurt the following of all others when fans realize their teams are at an even larger competitive disadvantage? For me personally, a great year for ETSU is a conference championship and a tournament birth. I have no illusions of Sweet 16 NCAA run or an NIT championship, so the competitive disadvantage may not be as big a factor for me.

I think the NIL aspect will hurt giving to the athletic departments, so the non-revenue sports may take a financial hit. It's possible that donors will divert a portion of their athletic department giving through NIL agreements, bypassing the athletic departments. Improvements for the non-revenue sports may be tougher to finance. I could see a significant number of schools leave D1 in order to contract the number of sports offered or the budgets needed to be in D1.
05-13-2022 07:41 AM
Advertisement

squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(05-13-2022 07:41 AM)frankenheimer Wrote:  

Your thoughts?
I can't say how I will change with regards to college basketball. Part of the charm of college athletics is the imagined connection with the players (imagined because I've almost no personal contact with any of them); when they stay, you get to see them over a 2-5 year period until their senior day. If rosters end up built like travel ball teams, with nearly complete turnover every year, that connection is lost. Will I stop following them? I can't say that I know, but that aspect of my enjoyment is certainly threatened.

Between the NIL agreements and freedom of movement, an even wider gulf will open between the top teams and all others. How will that hurt the following of all others when fans realize their teams are at an even larger competitive disadvantage? For me personally, a great year for ETSU is a conference championship and a tournament birth. I have no illusions of Sweet 16 NCAA run or an NIT championship, so the competitive disadvantage may not be as big a factor for me.

I think the NIL aspect will hurt giving to the athletic departments, so the non-revenue sports may take a financial hit. It's possible that donors will divert a portion of their athletic department giving through NIL agreements, bypassing the athletic departments. Improvements for the non-revenue sports may be tougher to finance. I could see a significant number of schools leave D1 in order to contract the number of sports offered or the budgets needed to be in D1.

Ditto! A lot of the fun was watching these kids mature and develop into our team.
05-13-2022 07:57 AM
etsubuc Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU
For me personally, there are two parts to this.

First, I enjoy watching the game of basketball, but not the style that ETSU has played the last couple of seasons. I enjoy set plays, movement of the ball inside, strong defense, etc. Old school ball I suppose. Too many outside shots annoy me, and it drives me wild when a contested outside shot is taken early in the shot clock without even trying to run an offense. It seems that has literally been the game plan for ETSU recently. For this reason, I didn't watch nearly as much ETSU basketball the last two years as before, and quit attending games as well. While still being an ETSU fan, I found myself drawn to teams that play a style that I enjoy more.

Second, I enjoy college basketball more than professional because kids play for the love of the game instead of for money, and because you can see a kid grow from Freshman-Senior. Both of these things are becoming extinct.

So yes, these changes certainly will affect my interest in ETSU basketball and college basketball overall.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2022 08:44 AM by etsubuc.)
05-13-2022 08:43 AM
Advertisement

Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(05-13-2022 08:43 AM)etsubuc Wrote:  For me personally, there are two parts to this.

First, I enjoy watching the game of basketball, but not the style that ETSU has played the last couple of seasons. I enjoy set plays, movement of the ball inside, strong defense, etc. Old school ball I suppose. Too many outside shots annoy me, and it drives me wild when a contested outside shot is taken early in the shot clock without even trying to run an offense. It seems that has literally been the game plan for ETSU recently. For this reason, I didn't watch nearly as much ETSU basketball the last two years as before, and quit attending games as well. While still being an ETSU fan, I found myself drawn to teams that play a style that I enjoy more.

Second, I enjoy college basketball more than professional because kids play for the love of the game instead of for money, and because you can see a kid grow from Freshman-Senior. Both of these things are becoming extinct.

So yes, these changes certainly will affect my interest in ETSU basketball and college basketball overall.

Third, unless the receiving school has the exact same major and the exact same course requirements for that major as the sending school - and vise versa - where does that leave the student-athlete at the end of his four years of eligibility? Is that laughter I’m hearing in the background for asking such a preposterous question in this era of higher education?
05-13-2022 04:30 PM
BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
(05-13-2022 04:30 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(05-13-2022 08:43 AM)etsubuc Wrote:  For me personally, there are two parts to this.

Third, unless the receiving school has the exact same major and the exact same course requirements for that major as the sending school - and vise versa - where does that leave the student-athlete at the end of his four years of eligibility? Is that laughter I’m hearing in the background for asking such a preposterous question in this era of higher education?

Actually I think this makes APR measures a laughing stock.
05-13-2022 04:34 PM
Advertisement

frankenheimer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Purdue, ETSU

Your point is another aspect of roster turnover/travel ball roster. I am led to believe that coaches that run offensive or defensive systems largely need time for most players to learn the mechanics and underlying principles of that system. Most can't pick it up in their first preseason and nonconference schedule. So what's a coach to do? Rely on getting the best players you can that can create their own shot. Use a lot of pick and roll and isolation on offense. Rely mostly on man-to-man defense.

To me, pick and roll and isolation are boring offenses to watch possession after possession. Offenses that involve all five players are much more interesting to watch. Man-to-man is the best base defense, but a team should have some other options or wrinkles available.
05-14-2022 07:53 AM
squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
If we can see Bradon Ilic out of Morristown adding another 20 to 30lbs to his frame, I believe we have a pretty good get in him.
05-16-2022 09:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.