Bookmark and Share
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Softball Observation
(05-02-2022 09:01 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  
(05-01-2022 08:31 AM)tpaw09 Wrote:  
(04-30-2022 09:25 PM)hsvtiger Wrote:  
(04-27-2022 09:27 AM)DallasTiger Wrote:  Yesterday I watched the Ole Miss-Memphis softball game. A very close friend of our family is Caitlyn Riley, a freshman pitcher for OM. So we watch her games on ESPN+ and SEC+ whenever we can and are in conversations with family members about each game, as it happens. She was Tennessee female athlete of the year in 2021 as a high school senior. She originally signed with UAB but switched to OM later in her recruiting. I sent info on her to our softball coaches when she was a junior. Her dad, Spencer Riley was the center on the Tennessee team when Payton Manning was QB. Our families go way back to the 1960's and have been friends all these years. Anyway, enough of the history.
I watched the game on ESPN+ which was ended after 5 innings with OM up 11-0. OM is a mid range SEC school. I think they are in 8th place. To make a long story short...we were barely in the game and have now lost 6 straight games. I think OM had two home rons, one was a grand slam. Not sure what is going on with softball but.....we have a long way to go to be competitive.
Maybe someone more familar with the team can comment.
They are in last place in AAC with a record of 2-13. Last weekend, they went 0-3 at WichSt losing by a combined 43-4. Also lost 3 at UCF by combined 18-0 & lost 3 at Houston by a combined 19-4. Outscored 80-8 in those 9 games. Simply uncompetitive and embarrassing. By the way; baseball & softball lost to North Alabama this year 10-0 & 6-0, respectively.

Softball team has been shut out 12 times year. Hopefully there is a change at the end of the year

Why? Does anyone care about any sport besides football ?

Yes some of us care about ALL Memphis sports
05-02-2022 09:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
(05-02-2022 09:04 AM)MemphisFan95 Wrote:  
(04-27-2022 09:27 AM)DallasTiger Wrote:  Yesterday I watched the Ole Miss-Memphis softball game. A very close friend of our family is Caitlyn Riley, a freshman pitcher for OM. So we watch her games on ESPN+ and SEC+ whenever we can and are in conversations with family members about each game, as it happens. She was Tennessee female athlete of the year in 2021 as a high school senior. She originally signed with UAB but switched to OM later in her recruiting. I sent info on her to our softball coaches when she was a junior. Her dad, Spencer Riley was the center on the Tennessee team when Payton Manning was QB. Our families go way back to the 1960's and have been friends all these years. Anyway, enough of the history.
I watched the game on ESPN+ which was ended after 5 innings with OM up 11-0. OM is a mid range SEC school. I think they are in 8th place. To make a long story short...we were barely in the game and have now lost 6 straight games. I think OM had two home rons, one was a grand slam. Not sure what is going on with softball but.....we have a long way to go to be competitive.
They are in last place in AAC with a record of 2-13. Last weekend, they went 0-3 at WichSt losing by a combined 43-4. Also lost 3 at UCF by combined 18-0 & lost 3 at Houston by a combined 19-4. Outscored 80-8 in those 9 games. Simply uncompetitive and embarrassing. By the way; baseball & softball lost to North Alabama this year 10-0 & 6-0, respectively.

Softball team has been shut out 12 times year. Hopefully there is a change at the end of the year

Yes some of us care about ALL Memphis sports

Not enough apparently
05-02-2022 09:23 AM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

As far as recruiting goes, Tennessee has just 5 of its players from Tennessee and they are ranked #12 in the country. I think it all gets down to recruting good players from outside of the Memphis area. I wonder if our coaches have the travel and recruitment budget to do this effectively?
05-02-2022 10:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiger87 Online
Hall of Famer

Because we are university grads, well wishers, and fans. We like to see as many programs excel as possible.
05-02-2022 11:29 AM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(05-02-2022 10:26 AM)DallasTiger Wrote:  As far as recruiting goes, Tennessee has just 5 of its players from Tennessee and they are ranked #12 in the country. I think it all gets down to recruting good players from outside of the Memphis area. I wonder if our coaches have the travel and recruitment budget to do this effectively?

Scew THAT... If you have a 6 figure job, AND YOU CARE TO KEEP IT, you buy your own plane ticket to florida, or you drive yo' ass.
05-02-2022 12:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-02-2022 12:55 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  
(05-02-2022 10:26 AM)DallasTiger Wrote:  As far as recruiting goes, Tennessee has just 5 of its players from Tennessee and they are ranked #12 in the country. I think it all gets down to recruting good players from outside of the Memphis area. I wonder if our coaches have the travel and recruitment budget to do this effectively?

Scew THAT... If you have a 6 figure job, AND YOU CARE TO KEEP IT, you buy your own plane ticket to florida, or you drive yo' ass.
Natalie Poole makes $93,800 a year as head coach.

Here is what I found on UCF.

There are 24 players on the UCF women’s softball team, and they are led by one head coach and 2 assistant coaches. The team members have more than softball on their mind, too, as seen by the team’s great academic progress rate of 994. UCF landed the #70 spot in our Best Colleges for Division I Women’s Softball out of the 273 colleges and universities that were included in the analysis.

UCF brought in $1,172,264 in revenue from its women’s softball program while paying out $1,172,264 in expenses. On the positive side, this means the program didn’t lose any money - and that’s not something every college sports program can claim. The average salary for a womens heach coach at UCF is about $200,000.
05-02-2022 01:06 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
Yeah, but I'm sure their WBC drags that average artificially way up. Still, no wonder we don't win. We don't pay sh1t.
05-02-2022 01:11 PM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-02-2022 12:55 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

Does the UofM softball HC make that?

Edit - That's more than I would have expected.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2022 02:24 PM by AlonsoWDC.)
05-02-2022 02:21 PM
GoDownSwinging Offline
Special Teams

I don't think it's necessarily about the budget. I do have to keep in mind that women athletes are focusing more on academics than athletics when it comes to particular sports. There was a girl at McNairy Central throwing about 70 MPH as a pitcher. She was getting looked at by SEC schools (Ole Miss included) but no offers because she wanted to pitch and be a hitter. She ends up at Lipscomb.
But why is there a girl hitting 70 MPH on the radar gun down the road, not at Memphis?
There was another girl hit over .450+ batting average, with 225+ hits, 50+ doubles, 40+ home runs, and over 200 RBI's at a high school in West Tennessee. What's sad is, her teammate plays for Memphis and is not productive. So, why did we get her teammate and passed on her? That girl is at UT-Martin made all-first team last season.

This is currently her stats at UTM (what her stats would look if she was @UM)
She is hitting .340 AVG (would be 2nd at Memphis)
5 home runs (1st)
51 hits (2nd)
30 RBI's (1st)
7 doubles (T-1st)

Again, some females athletes may not want to play for Memphis due to academics and their career field and all that, which is fine. However, she had two athletes that could've been Tigers, but they aren't. They're excelling at other schools.

However, she deserves better than a $90,000 salary (if true).

I will also say we have a lot of girls that aren't very tall and stout. We have two girls that are 5'10 and a lot of girls that are 5'5-5'7ish. If you look at Tennessee's roster, there are some girls that are 6'0, but also a lot of girls that are in that 5'8-5'10.
There's one girl on Tennessee's roster that is 5'4. There are 8 girls on Memphis' roster that is 5'4 and shorter.
05-02-2022 07:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.