Liberty Bowl Stadium
Bookmark and Share
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Donators
RE: Liberty Bowl Stadium
(02-18-2022 03:08 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(02-18-2022 01:18 PM)Browning Hall Wrote:  I think the fact that the Tigers are actually a college team (a real state college with a campus, students, teachers, dorms and facilities) gets lost on some of you guys. Arlington?

Franky why is there even a discussion of a new stadium related to the city or region at all? There is no demand or need for a new municipal stadium - none. The University of Memphis is the only football team needing a stadium & the university has a location that isn't going to move. If there is a need for a new stadium, it is a university need not a city or regional need. Time for a cash-strapped city to quit pouring $$ in an old stadium in order to enable a private entity to host a minor bowl game & another game that is likely going to Birmingham. And, at the same time, it's time for the university to invest in its FB program if it wants that program to grow.

B-I-NGO
02-18-2022 03:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bluecrew Offline
1st String

I Root For: A stable conference
(02-18-2022 03:10 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  
(02-18-2022 03:08 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(02-18-2022 01:18 PM)Browning Hall Wrote:  I think the fact that the Tigers are actually a college team (a real state college with a campus, students, teachers, dorms and facilities) gets lost on some of you guys. Arlington?

Franky why is there even a discussion of a new stadium related to the city or region at all? There is no demand or need for a new municipal stadium - none. The University of Memphis is the only football team needing a stadium & the university has a location that isn't going to move. If there is a need for a new stadium, it is a university need not a city or regional need. Time for a cash-strapped city to quit pouring $$ in an old stadium in order to enable a private entity to host a minor bowl game & another game that is likely going to Birmingham. And, at the same time, it's time for the university to invest in its FB program if it wants that program to grow.

B-I-NGO

Hard to argue with that.
02-18-2022 04:33 PM
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
(02-18-2022 09:25 AM)Unionman76 Wrote:  the west campus

on campus stadium

They are going to dismantle the indoor practice facility and move it to the Liberty Bowl property.
02-18-2022 05:16 PM
TigersRuleAll Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Sounds like they're gonna keep polishing that turd of a stadium. Get ready for some exciting AAC leftovers football.
02-18-2022 05:50 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(02-18-2022 01:28 PM)AlonsoWDC Wrote:  

Some people here get lost between waking up and finding the bathroom.

Wait, there's a bathroom??
02-18-2022 05:55 PM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-18-2022 05:55 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  

Depends.
02-18-2022 07:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(02-18-2022 07:36 PM)DallasTiger Wrote:  

Depends.

I see what you did there...
02-18-2022 09:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
former guest Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(02-18-2022 09:39 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  
(02-18-2022 07:36 PM)DallasTiger Wrote:  

Depends.

I see what you did there...

I guess it must have leaked then.... 03-puke
02-18-2022 10:11 PM
pkptigers07 Offline
All American

(02-18-2022 10:22 AM)k2tigers Wrote:  or just do like Nashville is going to do, and build an entirely new stadium

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/titan...it-a-snag/

If the state is going to help with a billion dollar+ stadium in Nashville to replace a 20 year old stadium, which you know they will, the university and Memphians need to demand state support for a new stadium on campus.
02-19-2022 09:18 AM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
(02-19-2022 09:18 AM)pkptigers07 Wrote:  
(02-18-2022 10:22 AM)k2tigers Wrote:  or just do like Nashville is going to do, and build an entirely new stadium

If the state is going to help with a billion dollar+ stadium in Nashville to replace a 20 year old stadium, which you know they will, the university and Memphians need to demand state support for a new stadium on campus.

I don’t think the University wants an on campus stadium. Studies have proven it doable, yet the school has never publicly approached the state or lobbied for funding. There appears to be a very real contingent within our leadership who oppose an on campus facility & prefer the status quo, even though status quo ensures we remain in Conference America.
02-19-2022 10:00 AM
Atlanta Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Unfortunately it would like be the same as all previous funding opportunities for a university owned facility in Memphis. The city gets involved to control & receive the funding & the university need become secondary. The amazing thing in this case is that the city has no need for a stadium - you don't build stadiums for 1-2 events per year. That's why the university must insist on taking ownership of any stadium initiative with the idea that the university could then accommodate any city needs. But if history is a guide the university needs & priority will be overridden by the city to the detriment of the university.
02-19-2022 10:51 AM
tigerfan39 Offline
Special Teams

(02-19-2022 10:51 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  

Unfortunately it would like be the same as all previous funding opportunities for a university owned facility in Memphis. The city gets involved to control & receive the funding & the university need become secondary. The amazing thing in this case is that the city has no need for a stadium - you don't build stadiums for 1-2 events per year. That's why the university must insist on taking ownership of any stadium initiative with the idea that the university could then accommodate any city needs. But if history is a guide the university needs & priority will be overridden by the city to the detriment of the university.

The mayor has offered the stadium to the university. I'm guessing what we will hear from the AD in the coming months is the direction the university will take. A firm has submitted recommendations from a study done back in November, but that has not been shared.
02-19-2022 11:03 AM
Atlanta Online
Hall of Famer

(02-19-2022 11:03 AM)tigerfan39 Wrote:  

The mayor has offered the stadium to the university. I'm guessing what we will hear from the AD in the coming months is the direction the university will take. A firm has submitted recommendations from a study done back in November, but that has not been shared.

The problem with renovating an old stadium is its still an old stadium but with some new features. Recurring maintenance will still reflect an old stadium. An a renovation that would provide any significant improvements would be a nice down-payment on a new stadium with better accommodations & lower maintenance costs. Just the sort of thing Nashville is realizing now even though their current stadium is much newer than the LB. So the university will get saddled with the increasing upkeep expenditures to keep the LB viable. Probably not a good bargain for the university or for the city if either attempt to maintain the LB long term.
02-19-2022 02:51 PM
Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2022 02:51 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  

The problem with renovating an old stadium is its still an old stadium but with some new features. Recurring maintenance will still reflect an old stadium. An a renovation that would provide any significant improvements would be a nice down-payment on a new stadium with better accommodations & lower maintenance costs. Just the sort of thing Nashville is realizing now even though their current stadium is much newer than the LB. So the university will get saddled with the increasing upkeep expenditures to keep the LB viable. Probably not a good bargain for the university or for the city if either attempt to maintain the LB long term.

sez every stadium in the sec
02-19-2022 03:23 PM
Atlanta Online
Hall of Famer

(02-19-2022 03:23 PM)Unionman76 Wrote:  
(02-19-2022 09:18 AM)pkptigers07 Wrote:  If the state is going to help with a billion dollar+ stadium in Nashville to replace a 20 year old stadium, which you know they will, the university and Memphians need to demand state support for a new stadium on campus.

SEC has money to burn. SEC stadiums are On Campus providing few other alternatives. TX A&M renovated to the tune of $300M+. Not much of a comparison or equivalent to our circumstances.
02-19-2022 03:57 PM
TigerinFL Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers
The city should pay the university a few million to take it off their hands
02-19-2022 04:30 PM
tigerfan39 Offline
Special Teams

Dr. Rudd has clarified for those that didn't understand.

Dr. M. David Rudd
@UofMemphisPres
·
2h
I unintentionally offered a difficult to understand quote in the CA yesterday. Here it is with the critical word:
“It’s not JUST about a new stadium or a dramatically improved LB. It’s about sustainable investment in our athletic programs to join a power conference.”
Go Tigers.
02-19-2022 04:55 PM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

I Root For: Truffles
(02-19-2022 04:55 PM)tigerfan39 Wrote:  Dr. Rudd has clarified for those that didn't understand.

Dr. M. David Rudd
@UofMemphisPres
·
2h
I unintentionally offered a difficult to understand quote in the CA yesterday. Here it is with the critical word:
“It’s not JUST about a new stadium or a dramatically improved LB. It’s about sustainable investment in our athletic programs to join a power conference.”
Go Tigers.

Hmmm... Still does nothing to add any clarity regarding whether they want a new stadium or plan to put lipstick on a pig. So it goes.

03-lmfao
02-19-2022 05:00 PM
Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2022 03:57 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(02-19-2022 03:23 PM)Unionman76 Wrote:  
(02-19-2022 10:51 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  Unfortunately it would like be the same as all previous funding opportunities for a university owned facility in Memphis. The city gets involved to control & receive the funding & the university need become secondary. The amazing thing in this case is that the city has no need for a stadium - you don't build stadiums for 1-2 events per year. That's why the university must insist on taking ownership of any stadium initiative with the idea that the university could then accommodate any city needs. But if history is a guide the university needs & priority will be overridden by the city to the detriment of the university.

SEC has money to burn. SEC stadiums are On Campus providing few other alternatives. TX A&M renovated to the tune of $300M+. Not much of a comparison or equivalent to our circumstances.

i have been to 4 sec stadiums in the last few years
and they are all **** holes

(ut, missouri, ole miss, miss state)

i did not sit in the sky boxes or press boxes (that is where they invest)
02-19-2022 05:13 PM
Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

the best new stadium i have been to is at houston

thats the correct size and design

(in conference i have been to all but ecu and temple)
02-19-2022 05:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.