Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Liberty, NMSU, BYU dumping games
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
RE: Liberty, NMSU, BYU dumping games
(05-12-2022 01:31 PM)AssKickingChicken Wrote:  BYU cancels a four game series with Utah State 2023-26.

https://fbschedules.com/byu-utah-state-c...ough-2026/

This gets them down to eight games they need to purge. But they only have two OOC listed for 2025 and 2027, so they could shift two games there.

This also completes their 2023 schedule with three OOC games listed.

Ouch! Tough move for the Aggies—I’m sure those BYU games brought in a lot of revenue
05-12-2022 01:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
Sam Houston took over the BYU dates against Hawaii. I am under impression that Sam Houston has 2 or 3 openings in '23, a single opening in '24 and three or four in '25 (Hawaii exception adds a fifth OOC)

Quote:Hawaii was previously scheduled to play a home-and-home series with the BYU Cougars on the exact same dates in 2024 and 2025. With BYU moving from an FBS Independent to the Big 12 Conference in 2023, the series with Hawaii has obviously been canceled.

https://fbschedules.com/sam-houston-hawa...ll-series/
05-17-2022 02:36 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
Can delete if already posted, but looks like BYU-TN in 2023 is gone. TN to play Virginia in Nashville instead. This is win-win for both teams as TN gets a fun regional matchup closer to home, but it is sad that TN has to "buy out" the game.

https://www.rockytoptalk.com/2022/5/16/2...e-schedule
05-17-2022 02:40 PM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

Some more changes

06-22-2022 02:35 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline

I had a feeling those Stanford games wouldn’t stay.
06-22-2022 05:38 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
My guess you will see the NCSU game for 2024 move to 2029 since NCSU needs a home game that season and currently BYU only has UTAH at home that year. NCSU is scheduled for a return game in 2030. One of the easier adjustments out in the future. So I am probably wrong since that seems like a logical fix.
06-22-2022 06:08 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline

(06-22-2022 06:08 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  My guess you will see the NCSU game for 2024 move to 2029 since NCSU needs a home game that season and currently BYU only has UTAH at home that year. NCSU is scheduled for a return game in 2030. One of the easier adjustments out in the future. So I am probably wrong since that seems like a logical fix.

I suspect the NC St series will be cancelled or rescheduled for deep into the 2030s.
06-22-2022 06:15 PM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

Liberty

06-28-2022 08:00 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(06-22-2022 06:15 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(06-22-2022 06:08 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  My guess you will see the NCSU game for 2024 move to 2029 since NCSU needs a home game that season and currently BYU only has UTAH at home that year. NCSU is scheduled for a return game in 2030. One of the easier adjustments out in the future. So I am probably wrong since that seems like a logical fix.

I suspect the NC St series will be cancelled or rescheduled for deep into the 2030s.

I have the same feeling as well. Also, would not be surprised if the Cinci/NCSU series gets cancelled due the the big 12 move. Which I hate losing B12 matchups.
06-28-2022 08:08 PM
sstaedtler88 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty, Army
(01-23-2022 01:41 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Liberty is now budget conscious. The disgrace and fall of Jerry Falwell, Jr. mean that one man's vision and willingness to pour unlimited money into the program are over. This is why Liberty joined conference USA to swap games against BYU, Virginia and other high profile marquee opponents for the likes of Louisiana Tech, Jax State and Sam Houston State. C-USA offers 8 games a year without paying anything, plus a share of conference CFP money. They know full well C-USA is looking into the abyss as far as future TV package goes (not that the current one is much better), and they know the profile is low.

This is not a move BYU would have made during their Independence, and not one UConn would make, or even it seems UMass. This is strictly for immediate budget relief. It's clear as day that Liberty is now watching the budget. Forget the bold open checkbook days of JF2, this is a new era for Liberty, where professional administrators run the show, and the program will have some limits on the level of institutional transfers like every other school.

That's not it. Hugh Freeze thinks winning Conference Championships and bowl games are what will get Liberty to the next level. He wants a philosophy of one Power 5, two regional G5's and one FCS school for out of conference. I don't agree with this and I'm a Liberty fan, but I believe this is the way they have chosen. Liberty is also trying to be a good partner to Sam Houston and Jacksonville State in giving them games. They want to be a good partner to the rest of CUSA. If they are, another conference will have less problems calling them up later. Being an Independent team, you have no allies. I have seen no indication of any change in Liberty's budget. Liberty wants to prove it is a good conference partner.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2022 08:21 PM by sstaedtler88.)
06-28-2022 08:17 PM
sstaedtler88 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty, Army
Here are the games Liberty still have as far as out of conference, but we still have to remove 15 games:

2023 - Bowling Green, at Coastal Carolina, at Buffalo, Eastern Michigan, ODU, ESTU, UConn, and UMass (4 of these games must go)
2024 - Coastal Car, at UCF, at Eastern Michigan, Ball State, at App. State, Marshall, Texas State, Campbell, at UMass (5 must go)
2025 - Wake Forest, at Army, at ODU, UMass, UConn, at Duke, ETSU (3 must go)
2026 - at Wake Forest, Duke, at Ball State, James Madison, at UMass, Army, and at Marshall. (3 must go)
2027 - at Duke, at Coastal Car, UMass, at Virginia Tech
2028 - at V. Tech, at Bowling Green, Old Dominion, Coastal Car.
06-28-2022 08:19 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
BYU has to dump 3 games in 2024 and 2026, but are set otherwise. They've got plenty of space in odd years, but teams may be reluctant to move home games from an even to odd year.

NMSU still has a bunch of work on 2023 and 2024, but is good otherwise.

Liberty still has a lot of work to do.
06-28-2022 08:24 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
...There MAY be cause for a few of these teams to play a 13th regular season game on a given year, if a decent opponent/payday is too good to drop - Hawai'i used to play extra games - probably still does... I guess one less 'bye' week, but... I think BYU has played 'extra' games in the past, as they like to play in areas where they have concentrations of fans/LDS folks.
06-28-2022 08:40 PM
AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
(06-28-2022 08:40 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  ...There MAY be cause for a few of these teams to play a 13th regular season game on a given year, if a decent opponent/payday is too good to drop - Hawai'i used to play extra games - probably still does... I guess one less 'bye' week, but... I think BYU has played 'extra' games in the past, as they like to play in areas where they have concentrations of fans/LDS folks.

You can only play a 13th game if it is outside the continental United States. So Hawaii gets an extra game every year, as does anyone they host. BYU was in the WAC with Hawaii (which does have a significant LDS presence) so that’s how they got a 13th game on a lot of their schedules.
06-28-2022 09:00 PM
AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
Update...

Liberty:

2023-Only four games scheduled.

2024-
09/21 - Ball State
10/05 - Marshall
10/26 - Texas State
11/09 - Campbell
11/16 - at UMass

Five scheduled, so one game over

Beyond 2024, they don't have more than four in a season.

Total overage: 1 game

BYU:

2023-Three scheduled. That puts them even assuming a nine game schedule in the Big XII

2024-08/31 - Southern Illinois
09/07 - at Utah
09/14 - at Wyoming
10/19 - at East Carolina

Four scheduled, one over. Utah could possibly join the B12 by 2024.

2025-Two scheduled

2026-09/05 -Utah Tech
09/12 - Arizona
09/19 - at Miami (FL)
10/17 - USF

One over, though Arizona could be a B12 member by then.

No issues beyond 2026

Total overage: two games

NMSU:

2023-08/26 - UMass
09/02 - Western Illinois
09/16 - at New Mexico
09/23 - at Hawaii
10/14 - at Louisiana
11/18 - at Auburn
TBA-at San Diego State

Seven scheduled, but one is in Hawaii, so two over

2024-08/31 - at UTSA
09/14 - Northern Illinois
09/21 - at Wyoming
10/05 - at Fresno State
10/26 - Louisiana
11/16 - at Texas A&M
11/23 - Abilene Christian
TBA - New Mexico

Eight scheduled, four over.

No issues beyond 2024. Total overage: 6 games
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2022 04:57 PM by AssKickingChicken.)
09-08-2022 03:16 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(06-28-2022 08:17 PM)sstaedtler88 Wrote:  
(01-23-2022 01:41 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Liberty is now budget conscious. The disgrace and fall of Jerry Falwell, Jr. mean that one man's vision and willingness to pour unlimited money into the program are over. This is why Liberty joined conference USA to swap games against BYU, Virginia and other high profile marquee opponents for the likes of Louisiana Tech, Jax State and Sam Houston State. C-USA offers 8 games a year without paying anything, plus a share of conference CFP money. They know full well C-USA is looking into the abyss as far as future TV package goes (not that the current one is much better), and they know the profile is low.

This is not a move BYU would have made during their Independence, and not one UConn would make, or even it seems UMass. This is strictly for immediate budget relief. It's clear as day that Liberty is now watching the budget. Forget the bold open checkbook days of JF2, this is a new era for Liberty, where professional administrators run the show, and the program will have some limits on the level of institutional transfers like every other school.

That's not it. Hugh Freeze thinks winning Conference Championships and bowl games are what will get Liberty to the next level. He wants a philosophy of one Power 5, two regional G5's and one FCS school for out of conference.

Can't go to the Access Bowl as an independent ... and although given the recent vote of the CPF "Contract" Conference Presidents, technically would be able to go to the CFP12 as an independent, but among the top 6 conference champions is an easier path than among the top 6 non-conference champions, given that four or more of the six seem likely to come from the SEC+BigTen.

Quote: I don't agree with this and I'm a Liberty fan, but I believe this is the way they have chosen.

As far as given that they are in a Go5 conference, 1 P5 buy game away, 2 Go5 H/H and hosting one FCS buy game is a lot more appealing to me than Kent State's 3 P5 buy games away and hosting one FCS buy game.

IOW, if Liberty really were in "slash the budget" mode, 1 P5, 2Go5, 1 FCS is not the scheduling model they would follow.

Quote: Liberty is also trying to be a good partner to Sam Houston and Jacksonville State in giving them games.

This is a point that is easy to overlook ... working with schools already contracted to say "we need to get out of some of our games, but we have some other schools in our conference that need to pick up games, do you think we can do a swap?" is a top shelf way to go about it.
09-08-2022 03:53 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
https://fbschedules.com/cincinnati-nc-st...ll-series/ Wolfpack hit twice by big 12 cancellations. First BYU, now Cinci. Hate to see these game go but logistically, I saw how it made sense. Return games were to far out.

Not a whole lot of options. FIU and Army look to be available but I imagine they will want a H/H on short notice.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2022 05:34 PM by msm96wolf.)
09-08-2022 05:09 PM
Frontierman Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Liberty
Considering Liberty doubled Hugh Freezes contract from 2 to $4 million a year since Falwell was removed which is more than several SEC/B1G coaches, I'm not sure how anyone could think we are budget conscious. This summer was very productive as Libertys schedules through 2027 are almost complete. It's amazing how quickly they were able to get rid of those games considering they had the most scheduled.
09-09-2022 11:01 PM
Herdfan1991 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Marshall
(09-08-2022 05:09 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  https://fbschedules.com/cincinnati-nc-st...ll-series/ Wolfpack hit twice by big 12 cancellations. First BYU, now Cinci. Hate to see these game go but logistically, I saw how it made sense. Return games were to far out.

Not a whole lot of options. FIU and Army look to be available but I imagine they will want a H/H on short notice.

Rumor is we (Marshall) are going to your place for a buy game on what I assume would be week 5.
09-10-2022 09:25 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
If Liberty agrees to drip the 9/28/24 game with App you'll see App and Wake start their makeup series
09-10-2022 12:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.