Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIU Hoops Recruits for 2022-23
Bookmark and Share
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
RE: NIU Hoops Recruits for 2022-23
Hey, we got a Bonnie! I also sat St. Bona lost one of their top players to Transfer U.(Iowa State.)
05-14-2022 08:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Seems like a bunch of St. Bonnie players transferred out and they were a pretty decent team last year. Saw a bunch of their fans at the Charleston Classic.
05-14-2022 08:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIU89 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
Appears to be strong rim protector and solid rebounder. Limited offense but willing to dunk when around the rim. Good pickup for the staff
05-14-2022 01:27 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(05-14-2022 01:27 PM)NIU89 Wrote:  Appears to be strong rim protector and solid rebounder. Limited offense but willing to dunk when around the rim. Good pickup for the staff

What are we basing this on? He barely played lol
05-16-2022 10:09 AM
Big Red Offline
All American

(05-16-2022 10:09 AM)7 Wrote:  
(05-14-2022 01:27 PM)NIU89 Wrote:  Appears to be strong rim protector and solid rebounder. Limited offense but willing to dunk when around the rim. Good pickup for the staff

What are we basing this on? He barely played lol

We're basing it off his JUCO numbers and video of how he plays.

lol...
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2022 10:37 AM by Big Red.)
05-16-2022 10:37 AM
HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
(05-11-2022 07:51 AM)Big Red Wrote:  To the best of my knowledge:

Guards
Kaleb Thornton Senior - From Iowa Western Community College
Zion Russell Sophomore
David Coit JUCO Freshman Atlantic Cape CC
Keshawn Williams Junior - From Tulsa
Taku Youngblood Incoming Freshman St. Thomas More
Armandas Plintauskas Incoming Freshman BC Nevėžis
Zarique Nutter JUCO Freshman Clarendon College
Darweshi Hunter Senior - Weber State

Forwards
Anthony Crump Senior - Middle Tennessee State
Xavier Amos Incoming Freshman Whitney Young HS (Chicago)
Yanic Niederhauser Incoming Freshman Ehingen Uprising

That's 11 players.

So, assuming Mitchell isn't coming to NIU (which, at this point, I'm not sure but if he is...there's definitely room for him and his Twitter profile pic is still of him in a Huskie uniform), Coach needs to fill two more spots.

We're crazy thin on the post. I actually quite like our guard collection. But we have neither depth nor experience in the post outside of Anthony Crump (who as always been listed as a guard but has played inside for Burno and there's simply no way he's not going to be a forward going...well....forward).

I really wish Burno could have gotten Jerome Palm (JUCO). I have no idea how good he might be but I guarantee we could have used his size. And some of those offers have been there a long time so you wonder about the shelf life and if there's any communication there anymore.

I will say that I liked the video of the Russian kid (Panov). He's strong and athletic. I've also liked Anthony Roy this whole time.

Adding those two would be real nice but it doesn't really help us add size on the post. Both Amos and Niederhauser are tall, but you'd have to expect some growing pains if they're going to be counted on for substantial minutes. Maybe not. Maybe Amos comes in and dominates right out of the gate. Obviously, Sparks did so for Ball State last year but he wasn't alone in the post and is still a bit of a unicorn.

Added "class" and "transfer from" to the above roster. Hope I got it correct.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2022 11:42 AM by HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN.)
05-16-2022 11:18 AM
niu16 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: biu
ISU hitting the state of Illinois hard.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/5/17/2...us-burford
05-17-2022 05:27 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(05-17-2022 05:27 PM)niu16 Wrote:  ISU hitting the state of Illinois hard.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/5/17/2...us-burford

Personally, this is for the fans.

Recruiting strong in Illinois is overrated and, unless you're getting the actual top recruits from the state (fyi, ISU isn't), then you might as well be recruiting from anywhere.

I'm not even sure it would guarantee players stick around and not jump as soon as they get the chance.

I mean, they're best player, Antonio Reeves, went to HS at Simeon and just transferred to Kentucky.

ISU wasn't very good last year and has a lot of holes to fill. They're good for that and can actually play basketball as opposed to some of the guys Monty was bringing in at the end...that's for sure.

But it's nothing to get excited about from our perspective.
05-17-2022 05:47 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Not to start a debate, but this could be an "investment" attempt to try to establish ISU as THE place to consider within Illinois for some of the better, future Illinois HS talent.*

If you go back through the threads criticizing the departed Mark Montgomery, a number were directed at his failure to establish links to HS coaches and schools in Illinois, particularly the Chicago area. And despite Burno's DePaul connections, his recruits are coming from elsewhere, including heavy reliance on "imports." I hope Burno is doing quietly what ISU is doing publicly.

Despite this viewpoint, I like Burno's strategy even though it appears to somewhat resemble a quick-fix to get some bigger numbers in the wins column. Winning solves -- or at least masks -- weaknesses in a program that has devolved over past years. Win a bunch of games and recruiting may become easier.

BTW, thanks for keeping track of this. IMO the upcoming season will reveal much more about where the program is headed. That first Burno season was more about getting through it.

*Footnote: In past years -- tho not doing this any more -- I noted on wbb threads that the top wbb talent coming out of Illinois was going elsewhere, usually out-of-state, so that "field" appears open also. Shauna Green was named new HC at Illinois in March; no word on her strategy.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2022 09:09 AM by pvk75.)
05-18-2022 09:08 AM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

Between Monty and Patton, the Chicago area was hardly mined at all. I do think Monty suffered from the after effects of Patton burning bridges in Illinois.
05-18-2022 09:41 AM
Big Red Offline
All American

I guess my take on in-state recruiting is, if you can get someone, that's great but I wouldn't worry too much if you can't.

The top talent is going to go to the top programs and, really only UofI has any kind of chance at those guys. WIU brought in some guys a couple years ago because of Ervin but some of them have already transferred and they aren't getting the same haul now that they did 2 years ago.

When you're NIU or any of the other directional or state schools here, you're competing for 2* and maybe a 3* or two and, tbh, those kids are a dime a dozen and can be found almost anywhere.

So, instead of stars, you look for kids who fit the program and/or the type you need or want.

If that kid goes to Streamwood HS, go after him. If he's from some other country, get him.

It really doesn't matter, imo.
05-18-2022 11:17 AM
HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(05-18-2022 11:17 AM)Big Red Wrote:  I guess my take on in-state recruiting is, if you can get someone, that's great but I wouldn't worry too much if you can't.

The top talent is going to go to the top programs and, really only UofI has any kind of chance at those guys. WIU brought in some guys a couple years ago because of Ervin but some of them have already transferred and they aren't getting the same haul now that they did 2 years ago.

When you're NIU or any of the other directional or state schools here, you're competing for 2* and maybe a 3* or two and, tbh, those kids are a dime a dozen and can be found almost anywhere.

So, instead of stars, you look for kids who fit the program and/or the type you need or want.

If that kid goes to Streamwood HS, go after him. If he's from some other country, get him.

While for the most part, I understand your point……it seems to me there is a sizable corresponding “cost to recruit” advantage to staying local, which is not an insignificant issue for schools like NIU. If they are a dime a dozen, then why not stay local?
05-18-2022 11:32 AM
Big Red Offline
All American

(05-18-2022 11:17 AM)Big Red Wrote:  I guess my take on in-state recruiting is, if you can get someone, that's great but I wouldn't worry too much if you can't.

I should have mentioned that yeah, I think having relationships with local/regional/state coaches is definitely important. I just don't think it's as important as many others do. It's not the pathway to NIU success.

Maybe it was more so 30 or so years ago . But even if you look at UofI. Sure, they're best player two years ago was from Chicago but they had a player from Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Georgia, and I want to say somewhere else. They recruit globally. If they are finding top talent overseas, then there also is a abundance of 2* and 3* players there as well.

Recruiting abroad is hard and it takes resources and connections. But it's doable and relatively untapped.

Maybe he doesn't succeed with it as it's harder to get a read on some guys but he could also find a couple of guys who, if they were in Chicago or some other US city, would be playing for a much higher profile program.

I think there needs to be a mix. Which, his new class is heavy on foreign but has a top recruit from Chicago as well.

He's also got offers out to 3 or 4 other highly regarded underclassman recruits from Chicago as well (Drane, Space, Brown). So, he's doing work there as well.
05-18-2022 11:48 AM
Big Red Offline
All American

(05-18-2022 11:32 AM)HuskieDave Wrote:  

While for the most part, I understand your point……it seems to me there is a sizable corresponding “cost to recruit” advantage to staying local, which is not an insignificant issue for schools like NIU. If they are a dime a dozen, then why not stay local?

I do agree. It is definitely cheaper. You're also limiting yourself nd restricting your pool of availability. There's a "cost" in that as well.
05-18-2022 11:52 AM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

Big Red, you make a good point. What always perplexes me is if you catch any Mid Major game on ESPN, you see a guy that is starting that is from Chicago or from the Chicago area. And they seem to be players that never got much fanfare in the local papers.
Those are the players that I think to myself "Did NIU ever look at that guy?"
05-18-2022 03:51 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(05-18-2022 03:51 PM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  Big Red, you make a good point. What always perplexes me is if you catch any Mid Major game on ESPN, you see a guy that is starting that is from Chicago or from the Chicago area. And they seem to be players that never got much fanfare in the local papers.
Those are the players that I think to myself "Did NIU ever look at that guy?"

I would say most of those guys were 2* guys who most teams weren't really looking at and they got better in the college program they ended up at.

I'm sure plenty of Milwaukee Panthers fans said similar things about Levi Bradley and I'm sure any number of teams in Indiana could have said the same about German.

But, as we all know, Montgomery was literally the only coach to offer him a scholarship.

I mean, the effort needs to be there for the local players and when I see some local kid starting for Ohio or some other midwestern mid-major, it definitely stings a bit. But that's just the fan in me.
05-18-2022 04:37 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

This conversation got me to thinking about roster makeup of the in-state mid-majors. I think I've looked at this before, but it was a few years ago. Though, I'm not sure anything is gained by this.

(I'm also going to include St. Louis as that borders Illinois but I'll do so with a "*", I'll probably do the same for any bordering recruit)

Illinois State (6 Players):
Luke Kasube* (St. Louis - Chaminade HS)
Darius Buford (Bolingbrook HS)
Nik Stadelman (Rockford - Guilford HS)
Colton Standage (Bloomington HS - Grad Student)
Jayden Johnson (Batavia HS)
Malcolm Miller (Shelbyville HS)

Western Illinois (2 players - they are losing 5 local players to transfers):
Quinlan Bennett (Proviso East HS)
K.J. Lee (O'Fallon, MO) - this one is a little bit of a stretch

Eastern Illinois (4 Players):
Jermaine Hamlin (Lincoln HS)
Kinyon Hodges (Cape Girardeau, MO)
Caleb Donaldson (Bloomington HS)
Sincere Malone (Chicago - We Are United Prep)

Bradley (2 players, both are walk-ons):
Cade Hardtke (Glenbard South HS - Walk-on)
Sam Hennessey (Benet Academy - Walk-on)

UIC (2 Players):
Damaria Franklin (Niles North)
Cameron Fens (Dubuque, IA)

Chicago State (None - interestring thing...both of their incoming freshmen are from West Oaks HS in Florida):

SIU (5...maybe 8 players):
Ben Coupet (Simeon HS - he may have graduated)
Will Keller (Marion - Went to HS in LaPorte, played JUCO at John A. Logan - graduated?)
Anthony D'Avanzo (Niles Notre Dame - graduated?)
Lance Jones (Evanston)
Chris Cross (Urbana HS)
Troy D'Amico (Niles Notre Dame)
Zachary Gibson (Romeoville HS)
Scottie Ebube (Mundelein HS)

SIUe (5 players):
Jalen Hodges (O'Fallon HS)
Cam Williams (St. Louis - Hazelwood Central HS)
Polo Minor (Thornton HS)
Ray'Sean Taylor (Collinsville HS)
Quani Rudd (Mt. Vernon HS)

NIU (3 players):
Kaleb Thornton (Bolingbrook HS)
Keshawn Williams (Bloom Twp HS)
Xavier Amos (Whitney Young HS)
???Martice Mitchell??? (Bloom Twp HS)
05-18-2022 06:14 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

Adong Makuoi announced he is transferring to Tennessee State.

I couldn't find any information on it other than just the announcement and some generic information. Not that it matters.

More just curiosity, tbh. I'm pretty certain he graduated so I just being nosy as to what grad program he entered. He was majoring in psychology at NIU.
05-21-2022 08:22 AM
huskies77 Offline
Bench Warmer

Do you know if the rule that the school a Player transfers to has to have a graduate program the program he’s leaving does not have is still in effect? I think that rule may have been rescinded with this automatic transfer rule with no waiver was needed. More than a decade ago Patton brought in Sean Kowall from Colorado and helped him graduate early. Kuss Patton also arrange for Sean to play in a China summer tournament where one of the coaches from St. Louis talked him into transferring to St. Louis. In two separate meetings with the A.D. neither Sean nor his father could identify what program he was going to in St. Louis. The NCAA eventually ruled “tampering“ by St. Louis and Sean never played college basketball again
05-21-2022 08:42 AM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(05-21-2022 08:22 AM)Big Red Wrote:  Adong Makuoi announced he is transferring to Tennessee State.

I couldn't find any information on it other than just the announcement and some generic information. Not that it matters.

More just curiosity, tbh. I'm pretty certain he graduated so I just being nosy as to what grad program he entered. He was majoring in psychology at NIU.

FYI -- According to the May 18 student-athlete grad list, mbb had two: Chinedu Kingsley Okanu and Chris Osten. No December 2021 grads.
05-21-2022 10:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.