NIU Hoops Recruits for 2022-23
Bookmark and Share
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
RE: NIU Hoops Recruits for 2022-23
(03-24-2022 01:12 PM)golf4501 Wrote:  
(03-24-2022 12:21 PM)Big Red Wrote:  
(03-23-2022 06:44 PM)golf4501 Wrote:  I see Yazid Powell entered the transfer portal. Weird you can sign a letter of intent, never set foot on campus then enter the portal? Me thinks he suddenly got a bigger school offer.

He just got an offer from Buffalo.

But he's gotten a lot of offers today.

Wichita State, Sam Houston State, Canisius, IUPUI, and Drexel.

I googled him last night and see he had multiple high schools and multiple colleges in his career so far. Seems to be a bit of a flake

I would really love for the NCAA, ten years after the start of this wonderful transfer portal thing, to provide two main data points:

----how many of these multiple transfers actually "earned a degree"
----and a study of what they "actually went pro in" to borrow a phrase from their continual commercials
03-24-2022 02:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

Schafer Bear, because there’s a very good chance he never makes it to march maddness playing for NIU. I hope he doesn’t leave but nothing surprises me with this transfer situation now
03-24-2022 06:03 PM
HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
Makuoi in transfer portal as a graduate transfer.

https://twitter.com/verbalcommits/status...qJLbLvu4Eg
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2022 10:04 AM by HuskieDave.)
03-28-2022 10:03 AM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
(03-24-2022 06:03 PM)dc1 Wrote:  Schafer Bear, because there’s a very good chance he never makes it to march maddness playing for NIU. I hope he doesn’t leave but nothing surprises me with this transfer situation now

Man, we should have kept Monty. He was going to take us to the promised land.

In year one, I think Burno has done more than Monty and it is not close IMO.
03-28-2022 01:12 PM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

(03-24-2022 06:03 PM)dc1 Wrote:  Schafer Bear, because there’s a very good chance he never makes it to march maddness playing for NIU. I hope he doesn’t leave but nothing surprises me with this transfer situation now

If he wanted to go to a March Madness game, he would have had a far greater chance by staying at Tulsa.

By transferring, he bought into Coach Burno's game plan to be a top Mid-Major team. He is willing to be in for the ride as long as Coach Burno is there
03-28-2022 04:00 PM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

(03-28-2022 10:03 AM)HuskieDave Wrote:  Makuoi in transfer portal as a graduate transfer.

Nooooo! Not Adong! I hope he reconsiders! How in the heck are we going to replace 5 pts and 3 rebounds for every 20 minutes of play?
03-28-2022 04:09 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

Nailed It!!!!

Edward Manuel in the transfer portal.

https://twitter.com/edward_manuel1/statu..._e5JMnAAAA
03-28-2022 05:14 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(03-28-2022 04:09 PM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  
(03-28-2022 10:03 AM)HuskieDave Wrote:  Makuoi in transfer portal as a graduate transfer.

Nooooo! Not Adong! I hope he reconsiders! How in the heck are we going to replace 5 pts and 3 rebounds for every 20 minutes of play?

Forget that.

Name me one other D-1 basketball player who averages 3 illegal screens in a game.

That's right...can't do it.

That's what you call a unique skill.
03-28-2022 05:16 PM
HuskieDave Offline
All American

From Bolingbrook and would be a redshirt senior next year.

Four star top 150 player nationally in high school. First school was Nebraska.

https://twitter.com/jakelieberman2/statu...ZBvA0-DGng

https://semoredhawks.com/sports/mens-bas...nten/10024
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2022 07:05 PM by HuskieDave.)
03-28-2022 06:58 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(03-28-2022 06:58 PM)HuskieDave Wrote:  From Bolingbrook and would be a redshirt senior next year.

Four star top 150 player nationally in high school. First school was Nebraska.

https://twitter.com/jakelieberman2/statu...ZBvA0-DGng

https://semoredhawks.com/sports/mens-bas...nten/10024

Montgomery made him an offer back when he was a sophomore.

Anyway, if there's a slot open (and I can't imagine there isn't if this tweet is true), this guy would basically fill the Edward Manuel role off the bench. Also, I'm assuming he'd be a grad transfer which...doesn't really matter.

I'd much rather have Anthony Roy, who just got an offer from Central Michigan.
03-28-2022 07:16 PM
HuskieDave Offline
All American

Jaylen Drane reclassifies to 2023 and will attend The Skills Factory in Georgia.

https://twitter.com/chilandprephoop/stat...j2BJi9cY5Q
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2022 07:36 PM by HuskieDave.)
03-28-2022 07:23 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(03-28-2022 07:23 PM)HuskieDave Wrote:  Jaylen Drane reclassifies to 2023 and will attend The Skills Factory in Georgia.

https://twitter.com/chilandprephoop/stat...j2BJi9cY5Q

He seemed to be getting much less attention and offers than I thought he would. Which could be good for NIU but, then again...

Although, as for NIU, I think next year (unless there's some transfers), will be a small recruiting class as we only project to have 2 seniors on the roster (Thornton and Hunter).

Also, I kinda like Kaden Space although Burno may be looking primarily at guards next year as he should have 4 pretty interesting bigs on the roster for awhile.
03-28-2022 08:12 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

Hankerson, Okanu, and Myrick all hit the portal today.

Myrick is the only one that matters and kind of sucks but he was either hurt or just couldn't get into the lineup this year.

I bet he goes JUCO.

The other two are obviously grad transfers.
03-30-2022 10:43 AM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

(03-30-2022 10:43 AM)Big Red Wrote:  Hankerson, Okanu, and Myrick all hit the portal today.

Myrick is the only one that matters and kind of sucks but he was either hurt or just couldn't get into the lineup this year.

I bet he goes JUCO.

BR, with 5 in the portal and Powell decommiting, how many open schollys do we now have?

Also, are Crump and Thornton the only Monty leftovers?

Hate to see Myrick leave, but he has to do what's best for him.
03-30-2022 12:06 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(03-30-2022 12:06 PM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  
(03-30-2022 10:43 AM)Big Red Wrote:  Hankerson, Okanu, and Myrick all hit the portal today.

I bet he goes JUCO.

BR, with 5 in the portal and Powell decommiting, how many open schollys do we now have?

To the best of my knowledge:

Incoming:

David Coit
Zarique Nutter
Martice Mitchell
Taku Youngblood
Yanic Niederhauser

Departing:

Trendon Hankerson
Adong Makuoi
Zool Kueth
Kingsley Okanu
Edward Manuel
Montavius Myrick

So, this kinda looks like we can add one more which would possibly be where that new offer comes into play (Nana Akenten), but I don't believe Burno has made an official offer.

Also, I'm not convinced that Osten is still with the team. If he is, I'm pretty disappointed. I can't imagine he was hurt last year since he wasn't even sitting on the bench for the past month and a half to two months.

Ideally, he's gone too and they can add two more players.

Also, I shall point out, Kueth didn't hit the portal today. Seems like things were processed today. So, maybe he's coming back. He wouldn't take up a scholarship slot since he'd be on the covid-extra year.

I'm not dying to have him back but, to have him back (basically) for free, sure.

I just really don't want Osten back and, because of that, I know for sure he's coming back...eating up a scholarship...providing zero value and probably disappearing again.
03-30-2022 12:33 PM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

(03-30-2022 12:33 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

I bet he goes JUCO.

Incoming:

David Coit
Zarique Nutter
Martice Mitchell
Taku Youngblood
Yanic Niederhauser

Departing:

Trendon Hankerson
Adong Makuoi
Zool Kueth
Kingsley Okanu
Edward Manuel
Montavius Myrick

So, this kinda looks like we can add one more which would possibly be where that new offer comes into play (Nana Akenten), but I don't believe Burno has made an official offer.

Also, I'm not convinced that Osten is still with the team. If he is, I'm pretty disappointed. I can't imagine he was hurt last year since he wasn't even sitting on the bench for the past month and a half to two months.

Also, I shall point out, Kueth didn't hit the portal today. Seems like things were processed today. So, maybe he's coming back. He wouldn't take up a scholarship slot since he'd be on the covid-extra year.

I'm not dying to have him back but, to have him back (basically) for free, sure.

I just really don't want Osten back and, because of that, I know for sure he's coming back...eating up a scholarship...providing zero value and probably disappearing again.

Thanks BR!
03-30-2022 01:10 PM
huskies77 Offline
Bench Warmer

Osten is long gone. Zool won’t be back. And I suspect at least one more will leave (a guard most likely). I figure Coach Burno will add i3+ more
03-30-2022 01:13 PM
HuskieDave Offline
All American

I bet he goes JUCO.

Incoming:

David Coit
Zarique Nutter
Martice Mitchell
Taku Youngblood
Yanic Niederhauser

Departing:

Trendon Hankerson
Adong Makuoi
Zool Kueth
Kingsley Okanu
Edward Manuel
Montavius Myrick

What about Xavier Amos?
03-30-2022 01:24 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(03-30-2022 01:24 PM)HuskieDave Wrote:  

I bet he goes JUCO.

Incoming:

David Coit
Zarique Nutter
Martice Mitchell
Taku Youngblood
Yanic Niederhauser

Departing:

Trendon Hankerson
Adong Makuoi
Zool Kueth
Kingsley Okanu
Edward Manuel
Montavius Myrick

What about Xavier Amos?

See...

I KNEW I was missing someone. I was at work and in a conversation when I wrote that (I clearly can't multitask and wasn't wanting to be in the convo but didn't know how not to be).

Yes...

So, that's 6 and 6.

And I agree with huskies77 that Osten is gone, but until I see him off the roster or some kind of announcement, I won't guarantee it. For one, Osten was with Burno at ASU and followed him to DeKalb. There has to be some kind of relationship there and one that Burno isn't going to just abandon. If Osten really wants to return, I have a feeling there's a spot for him out of obligation.

As for the assumption that we'll lose another guard. I've said all along that I could see either Thornton or Kon leaving (for different reasons).

With Thornton, I really felt like he'd go to Ball State but that got blown up so now I'm not so sure. Since Cochran doesn't know where he'll be next year, I have a harder time seeing Thornton following him anywhere. Plus, a team would have to want to bring in two senior guards. The more you try to draw a connection there, the less viable options there are. Plus, Thornton became a true starter under Burno (warts and all) so he may be uneasy about abandoning that for 1 year (he technically has the option for 2 years at NIU but only 1 more if he transfers).

As for Kon, I just have a feeling, like Myrick, that he may see that 1) there are a ton of guards already coming in, 2) he's already behind Russell on the depth chart for guys in his class and 3) is very likely behind some of the incoming guys like Coit and Nutter and possibly on par with Youngblood. It was even worse for him with Powell coming in (and I'm not sure that door has closed...his newest offers aren't outstanding with the two best being Wichita State and Sam Houston State but those have now been there a couple weeks and no movement for him has happened...and I'm not aware of anything changing with those teams situations either).

Needless to say, Kon could possibly see himself going JUCO and then transferring somewhere as a Junior as being a better situation than getting buried on the roster at NIU for another year and then losing the opportunity to play JUCO.

At that point, if he really wanted to play meaningful minutes, he'd have to consider D-II or D-III.

But, I suppose we'll have to just wait it out to see what happens.
03-30-2022 04:45 PM
ChicagoHuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(03-30-2022 04:45 PM)Big Red Wrote:  
(03-30-2022 01:24 PM)HuskieDave Wrote:  

I bet he goes JUCO.

Incoming:

David Coit
Zarique Nutter
Martice Mitchell
Taku Youngblood
Yanic Niederhauser

Departing:

Trendon Hankerson
Adong Makuoi
Zool Kueth
Kingsley Okanu
Edward Manuel
Montavius Myrick

What about Xavier Amos?

See...

I KNEW I was missing someone. I was at work and in a conversation when I wrote that (I clearly can't multitask and wasn't wanting to be in the convo but didn't know how not to be).

Yes...

So, that's 6 and 6.

And I agree with huskies77 that Osten is gone, but until I see him off the roster or some kind of announcement, I won't guarantee it. For one, Osten was with Burno at ASU and followed him to DeKalb. There has to be some kind of relationship there and one that Burno isn't going to just abandon. If Osten really wants to return, I have a feeling there's a spot for him out of obligation.

As for the assumption that we'll lose another guard. I've said all along that I could see either Thornton or Kon leaving (for different reasons).

With Thornton, I really felt like he'd go to Ball State but that got blown up so now I'm not so sure. Since Cochran doesn't know where he'll be next year, I have a harder time seeing Thornton following him anywhere. Plus, a team would have to want to bring in two senior guards. The more you try to draw a connection there, the less viable options there are. Plus, Thornton became a true starter under Burno (warts and all) so he may be uneasy about abandoning that for 1 year (he technically has the option for 2 years at NIU but only 1 more if he transfers).

As for Kon, I just have a feeling, like Myrick, that he may see that 1) there are a ton of guards already coming in, 2) he's already behind Russell on the depth chart for guys in his class and 3) is very likely behind some of the incoming guys like Coit and Nutter and possibly on par with Youngblood. It was even worse for him with Powell coming in (and I'm not sure that door has closed...his newest offers aren't outstanding with the two best being Wichita State and Sam Houston State but those have now been there a couple weeks and no movement for him has happened...and I'm not aware of anything changing with those teams situations either).

Needless to say, Kon could possibly see himself going JUCO and then transferring somewhere as a Junior as being a better situation than getting buried on the roster at NIU for another year and then losing the opportunity to play JUCO.

At that point, if he really wanted to play meaningful minutes, he'd have to consider D-II or D-III.

But, I suppose we'll have to just wait it out to see what happens.
I remember early in the season that Burno was really high on Kon and cited him in a couple of interviews as a real winner. Wonder what happened? Just a freshman so maybe still some hope for a real player in Kon.
03-30-2022 04:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.