Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Alex Lomax Dad
Bookmark and Share
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
RE: Alex Lomax Dad
(01-07-2022 01:20 PM)micman Wrote:  Alo's impact on this season's games have been more positive than Emoni Bates' impact.

This is how it is supposed to work. The upperclassman are supposed to be more impactful early on as the freshman figure out the game at the college level. Come February, the freshman should be adjusted to college game and ready to take over.
01-07-2022 01:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(01-07-2022 01:26 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  
(01-07-2022 01:20 PM)micman Wrote:  Alo's impact on this season's games have been more positive than Emoni Bates' impact.

Yet one is a 17 year old freshman who should be a junior in high school and the other is a 4 year senior who has been a starter most of his college career.

One with a ceiling that could be an NBA all-star, the other with a ceiling that ended in high school.

The comparison is just stupid in every possible way.

I wish people would just stop parroting this inaccuracy. He is the right age for a senior in HS.

Kids shouldn't be 19 years old when they graduate. Now there is this tragic trend of parents holding their kids back a year for sports which is just pitiful...
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2022 01:40 PM by macgar32.)
01-07-2022 01:36 PM
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

(01-07-2022 01:36 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

Yet one is a 17 year old freshman who should be a junior in high school and the other is a 4 year senior who has been a starter most of his college career.

One with a ceiling that could be an NBA all-star, the other with a ceiling that ended in high school.

I wish people would just stop parroting this inaccuracy. He is the right age for a senior in HS.

Kids shouldn't be 19 years old when they graduate. Now there is this tragic trend of parents holding their kids back for sports which is just pitiful.

okay even if he is a high school senior he shouldn't be contributing more than a 4 year staring college senior
01-07-2022 01:40 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis

Kids shouldn't be 19 years old when they graduate. Now there is this tragic trend of parents holding their kids back for sports which is just pitiful.

Ok, one should be a SENIOR in high school while the other is a SENIOR in college.

One has no future in playing basketball, one is expected to be an eventual lottery pick.
Better?
01-07-2022 01:41 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(01-07-2022 01:41 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  

Ok, one should be a SENIOR in high school while the other is a SENIOR in college.

One has no future in playing basketball, one is expected to be an eventual lottery pick.
Better?

Just annoys me to hear announcers keep saying it...

Sorry took my frustrations out on you.

But ALo is no Lottery pick...But this is where the insults come.

You say his ceiling was HS basketball yet he was a top 125 recruit and Mr. Basketball 2 years in the state of Tenn.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2022 01:44 PM by macgar32.)
01-07-2022 01:42 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Calipari probably had it right by not recruiting local players. A recent exception should have been Kennedy Chandler. He was a pretty much can't miss. Even so his success at Memphis would have been tough for Alo & his fans.
01-07-2022 01:51 PM
Irse Offline
Special Teams

(01-07-2022 12:26 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  Didn’t Penny basically raise Alex?

Yes. Where was his dad all of those years?
01-07-2022 01:53 PM
Memphis Yankee Offline
Hall of Famer

Somebody define what personal is. Is saying a person is playing poorly personal, or an observation? Is saying we're better when he plays less personal?
01-07-2022 01:54 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
Many of our fans make it more difficult for players who don't arrive with perfect skills (cough cough) to develop. period.

There is a whole ball of emotions: anger, frustration, rejection, jealousy, inferiority complexes, (all fueled by political BS), and.....drum roll.......................... fear. of. free throws. lol

Anyway, many of our social media fans barf up this wadded ball of their own unprocessed emotions on players and coaches. And these bulimic fans get off on it. The coaches try to run interference, ignore it, speak openly about it and/or take the blame. But fans will not be denied.

Generally speaking, they pick one player. When he's gone they choose another. like clockwork. clockwork blue.

I think these fans should be lobotomized. I can see no other solution.

*this is the edited version. lol
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2022 02:13 PM by snowtiger.)
01-07-2022 02:07 PM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Alex Lomax Dad
(01-07-2022 01:31 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  kids who play for Memphis, or want to play for Memphis...need to realize that the PG position at Memphis is akin to being the QB for the Dallas Cowboys (on a city-wide scale that is).
They're going to be scrutinized...if they play well...everyone in Memphis loves you and you are a rockstar. Play poorly...and you might as well be booking your next plane ticket to Siberia.

Yeah and I’d add that we’ve had several PGs that didn’t start strong, but most have figured it out along the way and developed into very solid players with experience. That and somehow Penny has failed to land a stud point guard, which has only exacerbated the situation.
01-07-2022 02:14 PM
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Ligers
03-yawn

Cry me a river.

As a small nonathletic pg, you have to be able to make shots from the pg spot. Off the dribble, from deep, floaters, etc. See TYUS JONES.

Instead, Alo does none of this. None. Had 4 yrs to get in the gym and add to his bag. Smh

I'll definitely root for the kid at whichever new school he chooses. Worked for the other players who transferred....
01-07-2022 02:19 PM
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Ligers
Alo hasn't even improved his assist to turnover ratio. Again, see Tyus Jones and goe here takes care of the ball.

Didn't folks say by Alo's junior year he'd figure it out a la Andre Turner?? Still waiting.....
01-07-2022 02:27 PM
Browning Hall Offline
All American

I Root For: Mayhem
If he doesn’t want to read criticism, the last thing he should do is read sports message boards. It’s like saying you don’t like seafood, then going to a seafood restaurant and complaining about the food. Message boards would eat their young.

From the linked Mack Brown article:

A big part of today’s world of sports is messaging boards. Fans of a team can all get together and talk about their favorite teams. But these message boards often include a lot of comments that call out coaches and players and call for jobs. While Brown is no stranger to that, the North Carolina coach said that it’s different seeing it more easily than you could in the past.

“The same with the assistant coaches,” Brown said. “Assistant coaches feel awful when they lose and then everybody says they should be fired. It’s a hundred percent. If you took the message boards and a lot of the media across the country for every team that lost yesterday, just changed the names, but all the comments are the same. It’s unbelievable how consistent it is about, ‘he’s an idiot, he should be fired. I can’t believe these stupid fools don’t know any better than this. Or why are they playing that quarterback.’

“It is what it is and I’ve seen it for 47 years so the only difference is now you can see it and hear it more than you could. When I first started you had to hear it walking off the field with somebody calling you an idiot.”

https://www.on3.com/college/north-caroli...rds-media/
01-07-2022 02:40 PM
SouthernBoiNOLA Offline
Special Teams

I feel for the kid, but let's be real. He is playing at a high major school with F4 aspirations. If he is not performing up to the expectations that a 4 year starter, then yes, the fanbase is going to talk about it. Now I don't agree with the personal shots, but his play has not been what anyone would expect from a 4 year starter. Especially a kid that you can see has a degree of BBall IQ, but at the same time continues to make at least 2 head scratching plays almost every game. He would hear the same talk if he was at any school that purports itself to be a basketball school.
01-07-2022 02:47 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
Fan Vibes, thoughts etc and the energy it creates is real; observers change physics experiments. Well documented now in particle physics experiments.

Some of Y’all want to give yourselves a pass by saying they and we who dislike negative spewing shouldn’t read the social media platforms and fan boards , well go ahead… but whether the players read the boards or participate in social media is somewhat irrelevant, since every little teensy bit of our ‘prayer energy’ ( y’all believe in that…right?) combines to affect an outcome sometimes just in our own colons….
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2022 02:59 PM by snowtiger.)
01-07-2022 02:56 PM
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

(01-07-2022 02:56 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  Fan Vibes, thoughts etc and the energy it creates is real; observers change physics experiments. Well documented now in particle physics experiments.

Some of Y’all want to give yourselves a pass by saying they and we who dislike negative spewing shouldn’t read the social media platforms and fan boards , well go ahead… but whether the players read the boards or participate in social media is irrelevant, since every little teensy bit of our ‘prayer energy’ ( y’all believe in that…right?) combines to affect an outcome sometimes just in our own colons….

maybe he should take up particle physic experiments
01-07-2022 03:01 PM
tjwillis47 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: memphis
Alex is what he is. a defending point guard who isnt going to give you much offensively and almost turns it over more than he scores. That's what he has been his entire college career. His dad is frustrated that people dump on his son all the time. Penny is basically sitting Alex right now. He's not hurt.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2022 03:04 PM by tjwillis47.)
01-07-2022 03:03 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(01-07-2022 03:03 PM)tjwillis47 Wrote:  Alex is what he is. a defending point guard who isnt going to give you much offensively and almost turns it over more than he scores. That's what he has been his entire college career. His dad is frustrated that people dump on his son all the time. Penny is basically sitting Alex right now. He's not hurt.

Why would he sit Lomax immediately after they had a great game with him.
01-07-2022 03:08 PM
Browning Hall Offline
All American

I Root For: Mayhem
(01-07-2022 02:56 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  Fan Vibes, thoughts etc and the energy it creates is real; observers change physics experiments. Well documented now in particle physics experiments.

Some of Y’all want to give yourselves a pass by saying they and we who dislike negative spewing shouldn’t read the social media platforms and fan boards , well go ahead… but whether the players read the boards or participate in social media is somewhat irrelevant, since every little teensy bit of our ‘prayer energy’ ( y’all believe in that…right?) combines to affect an outcome sometimes just in our own colons….

For his own well-being. I don’t participate in negative spewing, but I don’t bemoan those that do. Normally, I can read it with a sense of humor and I take little of it seriously. Most parents and the like can’t do that. That’s understandable.
01-07-2022 03:20 PM
mempho_to_diego Offline
2 legit 2 quit

Sorry, I criticize everyone and anyone, but try to do it in a manner that is not degrading. The facts are facts - when Lomax is NOT on the court, the Tigers tend to do better. Can Dandridge dribble-drive to the basket and score - we've seen flashes, but more often than not, that is going to lead to a turnover. Bates - lots of confidence, you love to see it, oh he's young - cool, but he was hyped. When you're hyped and you have a good first couple of games, you get a conflated ego - then the real competition comes in, and freshman wall MET and HIT. LQ - something is up.

Things I like - Minott - he's proving his worth. Duren - man amongst boys and last game, found a jumper too. Timberlake - shaky at the start of the season, but writing is on the wall - dude should be our PG and get 30 mpg. Williams - yes, yes, yes.

Some fans are just that, fanatical and can be harsh, etc. ... I like constructive criticism and as fans, we are allowed to dissect the product the University if putting on the court. If we don't like it, we won't show up and then the University will be forced into a situation - remember Larry Porter and Tubby Smith?

Yea, so definitely continue to criticize everyone that has to do with a particular program/sport at the University of Memphis ... stuff needs to be said and eventually heard. Up to athletic directors, coaches, players, etc. to make the necessary changes, put a better product out there and the fans will rejoice. Can't have it one way and not the other.

In closing, go MEMPHIS.
01-07-2022 03:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.