Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Alex Lomax Dad
Bookmark and Share
UMTiger02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers & Uggla
Alex Lomax Dad
Called Mark Gianatto and said He wanted to speak in behalf of his son. I don’t have a CA subscription, but according to Jason and John. The article basically says “He wishes his son would go somewhere else.”
01-07-2022 12:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Alex Lomax Dad
(01-07-2022 12:19 PM)UMTiger02 Wrote:  Called Mark Gianatto and said He wanted to speak in behalf of his son. I don’t have a CA subscription, but according to Jason and John. The article basically says “He wishes his son would go somewhere else.”

And I assume it is due to our great fanbase.
01-07-2022 12:20 PM
UMTiger02 Offline
All American

Questioning the injury too..
01-07-2022 12:23 PM
Marc Mensa Online
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
Didn’t Penny basically raise Alex?
01-07-2022 12:26 PM
danny1 Offline
All American

(01-07-2022 12:20 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(01-07-2022 12:19 PM)UMTiger02 Wrote:  Called Mark Gianatto and said He wanted to speak in behalf of his son. I don’t have a CA subscription, but according to Jason and John. The article basically says “He wishes his son would go somewhere else.”

Wouldn’t blame him at all. There are a lot of posters who have made cruel remarks about this young man. And, yes, there is a difference between discussing a basketball game and hurling personal insults at one of our players.
01-07-2022 12:27 PM
cscottl1981 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
So does he have a season left b/c of COVID, I’m guessing?
01-07-2022 12:27 PM
Advertisement

MtownTigers916 Offline
Tiger PhD

I feel for Lomax. Don't direct criticism at student-athletes-- direct it at their coaches (they get paid to take heat).

Alo has unfortunately become a punching bag/scapegoat for fans and media, and I think it's a product of a few things.

The first is that we have fans that will bend over backwards to criticize anyone but their beloved coach. This is unfortunately leading players to be thrown under the bus by fans and the media (and is encouraged by our own coach throwing players under the bus).

The second is sort of the unhealthy conceptualization of student-athletes at Memphis. Our players are college students, but our fans treat them like professional athletes.

I've never seen student-athletes treated the way they are by the community except at a few SEC football schools. They are discussed at-length by local sports media. A majority of our fans have no tie to Memphis (or to higher education). Again, it's sort of like SEC football.

I've been around enough colleges and universities that I've seen a spectrum of views on student athletes. Some schools are really strict about character and academic requirements. The focus at Memphis (at least for the last two decades) has just been to win.

It's an odd dynamic.
01-07-2022 12:30 PM
Marc Mensa Online
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
(01-07-2022 12:27 PM)danny1 Wrote:  

Wouldn’t blame him at all. There are a lot of posters who have made cruel remarks about this young man. And, yes, there is a difference between discussing a basketball game and hurling personal insults at one of our players.

What kind of personal insults? I haven’t seen any, but I don’t read every post either.
01-07-2022 12:31 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(01-07-2022 12:30 PM)MtownTigers916 Wrote:  I feel for Lomax. Don't direct criticism at student-athletes-- direct it at their coaches (they get paid to take heat).

Alo has unfortunately become a punching bag/scapegoat for fans and media, and I think it's a product of a few things.

The first is that we have fans that will bend over backwards to criticize anyone but their beloved coach. This is unfortunately leading players to be thrown under the bus by fans and the media (and is encouraged by our own coach throwing players under the bus).

The second is sort of the unhealthy conceptualization of student-athletes at Memphis. Our players are college students, but our fans treat them like professional athletes.

I've never seen student-athletes treated the way they are by the community except at a few SEC football schools. They are discussed at-length by local sports media. A majority of our fans have no tie to Memphis (or to higher education). Again, it's sort of like SEC football.

I've been around enough colleges and universities that I've seen a spectrum of views on student athletes. Some schools are really strict about character and academic requirements. The focus at Memphis (at least for the last two decades) has just been to win.

It's an odd dynamic.

They get paid
01-07-2022 12:32 PM
danny1 Offline
All American

(01-07-2022 12:31 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  
(01-07-2022 12:27 PM)danny1 Wrote:  

What kind of personal insults? I haven’t seen any, but I don’t read every post either.

Just go back and read some of the comments made about him during some of the games. Not hard to find cruel and demeaning comments.
01-07-2022 12:36 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(01-07-2022 12:30 PM)MtownTigers916 Wrote:  I feel for Lomax. Don't direct criticism at student-athletes-- direct it at their coaches (they get paid to take heat).

It's an odd dynamic.

Lomax is who he is...Why people would blame him for everything is beyond me.

Granted his game should have been more complete by now...I put that on the coaches and Lomax. I just cannot believe that Lomax could not add more offense to his game in the 4 years he has been here. But many other guys who came in with or right after Lomax haven't improved much either.

I question the environment that has been established in the program as far as the expectations of offseason work. I remember Cal used to track when guys were in the gym and when they left...Hence the reason Sallie got so much crap for not putting in the work. Cal tried to paly Sallie as little as possible...
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2022 12:39 PM by macgar32.)
01-07-2022 12:37 PM
Advertisement

geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon

Did he really say "in behalf"???

[Image: face-palm-cant-believe.gif]
01-07-2022 12:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UMTiger02 Offline
All American

(01-07-2022 12:42 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

Probably. Grammar Police.
01-07-2022 12:49 PM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(01-07-2022 12:42 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

strange that you would post that
01-07-2022 12:51 PM
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

(01-07-2022 12:32 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

It's an odd dynamic.

They get paid

exactly the whole don't get paid argument can be put to rest... and its legal now
01-07-2022 01:07 PM
micman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GT
Alo's impact on this season's games have been more positive than Emoni Bates' impact.
01-07-2022 01:20 PM
Advertisement

MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

(01-07-2022 01:20 PM)micman Wrote:  Alo's impact on this season's games have been more positive than Emoni Bates' impact.

I would hope a senior guard would have a more positive impact than a kid that should still be in high school but who has contributed more is debatable
01-07-2022 01:23 PM
bbqtiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of M always
Alo seems to be a good guy, and prolly should not be maligned as much as he is. Having said that, he is not a great PG. And since the one thing this team needs is a superior PG, that stands out.

As for his father's comment about him wanting him to leave the program, my sense is a father frustrated by all the negative comments from fans and media in our area. IMO, Memphis is unique in the way our Tigers get so much local attention, and that is overall a very good thing. But sometimes it puts real pressure on the players and their families, as in this case. Thus, you will rarely see me knock one of own.

Go, Alo, Go. GTG
01-07-2022 01:23 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
(01-07-2022 01:20 PM)micman Wrote:  Alo's impact on this season's games have been more positive than Emoni Bates' impact.

Yet one is a 17 year old freshman who should be a junior in high school and the other is a 4 year senior who has been a starter most of his college career.

One with a ceiling that could be an NBA all-star, the other with a ceiling that ended in high school.

The comparison is just stupid in every possible way.
01-07-2022 01:26 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
kids who play for Memphis, or want to play for Memphis...need to realize that the PG position at Memphis is akin to being the QB for the Dallas Cowboys (on a city-wide scale that is).
They're going to be scrutinized...if they play well...everyone in Memphis loves you and you are a rockstar. Play poorly...and you might as well be booking your next plane ticket to Siberia.
01-07-2022 01:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.