doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
Opting Out
When do you support it?

1. Any bowl game except CFP.
2. Out of any game if your gem cannot make CFP
3. Out,of any game once yor team cannot win conference title
4. Anytime once you think you have secured a draft position.

01-01-2022 06:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
RE: Opting Out
I don't get it at all.

These guys play 12-13 games during the season without hesitating and then that bowl game just becomes a deadly hazard? Come on, man!

I don't understand how these guys can stand there on the sideline healthy as a horse while their teammates are out there busting their a$$ and giving it their all.

All Chris Olave gained standing by there on the sideline other than turning Jaxon Smith-Njigba into a legend.

01-02-2022 08:30 AM
fnz Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cincinnati/NKU
Everyone else involved with this sport has their own interests first. It's about time the players do it too.
It would be cool if all guys played their bowl games, but I'm 100% for anyone sitting out. None of these guys need anyone else's permission but their own to skip a bowl game. Coaches don't need anyone's permission to leave before the bowl game. Hell I don't need anyone's permission to take time off from work, I just tell them I'm doing it. I'm not sure why we'd hold college kids to a higher standard than anyone else. I also kind of enjoy the preview of guys for next season. Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson are going to be first round picks next year, and anyone who watched one Ohio State game all season knew Smith-Njigba was a star in the making, and he finally got to really show it.

ESPN has created this "the playoff means more than anything" era themselves. They devote a whole damn hour to it every week later in the season. Once you're not playing in it, all the other bowls are unimportant. Especially for guys who know they're headed to the NFL. One more game isn't going to change the tape on a whole season. We just saw last night with Matt Corral going down.

01-02-2022 10:43 AM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

Why the hell pay for a player to go to Rose Bowl and stand on the sideline? If a guy is injured OK but not a quitter!

Once you say I quit, I say "Then get!"

01-02-2022 11:08 AM
ZCat Offline
Special Teams

(01-02-2022 11:08 AM)doss2 Wrote:  Why the hell pay for a player to go to Rose Bowl and stand on the sideline? If a guy is injured OK but not a quitter!

Once you say I quit, I say "Then get!"

Was Olave at the game? I’m guessing he Is still going to classes, continues to work out at osu and training there and hold workouts there?
I just couldn’t imagine playing for a team the whole year, and not want to finish what my brothers and I started.

If coaches leave a team high and dry to better themselves it doesn’t mean I think it’s right. The system is crazy though, they need to change when is the signing day etc.

01-02-2022 11:19 AM
Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(01-02-2022 08:30 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  I don't get it at all.

These guys play 12-13 games during the season without hesitating and then that bowl game just becomes a deadly hazard? Come on, man!

I don't understand how these guys can stand there on the sideline healthy as a horse while their teammates are out there busting their a$$ and giving it their all.

All Chris Olave gained standing by there on the sideline other than turning Jaxon Smith-Njigba into a legend.

Chris Olave had absolutely nothing to gain from playing in the Rose Bowl, and he had millions to lose. Mock drafts already have him going in the first round. Expand the playoffs and we will likely see less players opting out.

01-02-2022 11:24 AM
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-02-2022 11:24 AM)Banter Wrote:  

Chris Olave had absolutely nothing to gain from playing in the Rose Bowl, and he had millions to lose. Mock drafts already have him going in the first round. Expand the playoffs and we will likely see less players opting out.

Soooo... what did Olave have to gain by playing against Akron? Was he exempt from injury in that game?

Again, these guys played 12-13 games without hesitation. I just am failing to see what the danger in playing one more was.

01-02-2022 11:52 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
In this age of player empowerment, you aren't going to prevent this completely going forward. The only thing you can do is expand the playoff to 8-12 and that will result in more teams not having opt outs.

01-02-2022 12:05 PM
fnz Offline
Water Engineer

(01-02-2022 11:52 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  
(01-02-2022 11:24 AM)Banter Wrote:  

Soooo... what did Olave have to gain by playing against Akron? Was he exempt from injury in that game?

Again, these guys played 12-13 games without hesitation. I just am failing to see what the danger in playing one more was.
Because the end goal of those 12-13 games was getting to the playoff. And they didn't do that. Those 12-13 games cemented their status as first round picks. One more game's stats won't change that. But one injury will.

01-02-2022 12:31 PM
ladeda Offline
Bench Warmer

Tell that to Matt Corral. I don't know how bad his injury is, but he may have cost himself a lot of money with that injury.

Players can do what they think is best for themselves. If players want to opt out bc they think it's best for their future--- it's their life, their choice. People are free to make good and bad choices, that's the benefit of liberty. You have the freedom to decide for yourself, even if the decision is a poor one.

I will say that now with NIL's-- the top college players will be making a few $$'s from that, and therefore it will be easier for them to purchase insurance policies in case they get hurt. Maybe sponsors of bowl games will help pay for insurance policies for the bowl game to help persuade kids from opting out of said game.

I don't blame kids who sit out to avoid injury bc there is alot money on the table being a high draft pick in the NFL.

I don't want people telling me how to run my life-- I sure as heck won't tell other kids how to run their lives.

01-02-2022 12:41 PM
UCBearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

The only way to get players to opt in is pay them. Basically six figure guarantee NIL deals with bowl game would probably get some of these guys back in the game.

I am sure some would opt out but if I bet a few guys would take a nice pay day early for one more game.

01-02-2022 12:43 PM
Advertisement

doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

The team cannot stop opt outs but once a guy quits a gem he should no longer get any benefits. No more tuition, room, board, facility use, etc.

When I quit a company they stopped paying my CC dues, they had me return my company car, etc. Now if it was mutual I got my pay and bennies extended for as much as 3 years based on the contract.

01-02-2022 12:51 PM
franzeal Offline
1st String

(01-02-2022 12:43 PM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  The only way to get players to opt in is pay them. Basically six figure guarantee NIL deals with bowl game would probably get some of these guys back in the game.

I am sure some would opt out but if I bet a few guys would take a nice pay day early for one more game.

If players want to be employed by the school, I think that's great assuming athletic scholarships go away with it; it should be no different than an RA/TA/whatever.

The only risk these student athletes on full scholarship currently take is that they'll have squandered their opportunity to go pro or get an education that will help them in life. Make them employees and give the same risk as any other student; the same risk as before, but now they can deal with the rest like any other student/family.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2022 01:54 PM by franzeal.)
01-02-2022 01:49 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-02-2022 12:41 PM)ladeda Wrote:  

Tell that to Matt Corral. I don't know how bad his injury is, but he may have cost himself a lot of money with that injury.

Players can do what they think is best for themselves. If players want to opt out bc they think it's best for their future--- it's their life, their choice. People are free to make good and bad choices, that's the benefit of liberty. You have the freedom to decide for yourself, even if the decision is a poor one.

I will say that now with NIL's-- the top college players will be making a few $$'s from that, and therefore it will be easier for them to purchase insurance policies in case they get hurt. Maybe sponsors of bowl games will help pay for insurance policies for the bowl game to help persuade kids from opting out of said game.

I don't blame kids who sit out to avoid injury bc there is alot money on the table being a high draft pick in the NFL.

I don't want people telling me how to run my life-- I sure as heck won't tell other kids how to run their lives.

Where the crap did that come from ??? Who's telling kids how to run their lives???

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2022 01:53 PM by Bear Catlett.)
01-02-2022 01:53 PM
fnz Offline
Water Engineer

Well there a few replies in this very thread:
players should no longer receive benefits when choosing not to play
players shouldn't get to go to the game if they don't play
"I don't understand how" they can do this
"I don't get it at all"
"Do you support it"

which would suggest the opinions stated here are in any way influential/necessary of how these players should choose to go about their business. The players shouldn't give two ***** what any of us (or anyone that's not themselves) think about this and I guarantee that they don't care.

01-02-2022 02:24 PM
Hemond Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati
I respect all football players!

01-02-2022 02:31 PM
Advertisement

Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-02-2022 02:24 PM)fnz Wrote:  Well there a few replies in this very thread:
"I don't get it at all"
"Do you support it"

which would suggest the opinions stated here are in any way influential/necessary of how these players should choose to go about their business. The players shouldn't give two ***** what any of us (or anyone that's not themselves) think about this and I guarantee that they don't care.

Well hey, I would not care one bit if you opted out of this thread.

It would just be nice to have some debate around here without Karen showing up to shame those deemed offensive.

01-02-2022 02:37 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

"I don't get it at all"
"Do you support it"

If you decide to stop performing your employment duties what do you get.

FIRED!

Do you keep getting paid? Do you keep getting medical, dental, life insurance? Do you get to keep your car and club memberships?

If a player gets hurt then the school should continue the support he needs to get a degree.

01-02-2022 02:46 PM
fnz Offline
Water Engineer

(01-02-2022 02:46 PM)doss2 Wrote:  
"I don't get it at all"
"Do you support it"

If you decide to stop performing your employment duties what do you get.

FIRED!

Do you keep getting paid? Do you keep getting medical, dental, life insurance? Do you get to keep your car and club memberships?

If a player gets hurt then the school should continue the support he needs to get a degree.
I just don't understand why it's so important to some people that players be punished for this. It's odd to feel so strongly about it. There's this weird sense of "they should be grateful" to play football for free or whatever. Did the Rose Bowl suffer from this? Was it not exciting?

Matt Corral played and got hurt. Kenny Pickett chose to not play. His backup got hurt.

When the football season is over does CJ Stroud lose his scholarship? He, by your definition, has stopped performing his duties. Brian Kelly left Notre Dame before they played their bowl game. Should he be fired from LSU?

01-02-2022 02:56 PM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
I have no issue with young men doing what they believe best protects their long term career, particularly when there are millions of dollars at stake. What's best for each individual is a complicated question with risks and opportunities both ways. I'm fine with those individuals speaking to people they trust and deciding accordingly.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2022 04:37 PM by bearcatmark.)
01-02-2022 03:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.