Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Crunch time - The last five minutes
Bookmark and Share
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
Crunch time - The last five minutes
We've been discussing who comes through in the clutch when it matters, so I took some time to analyze the last five minutes of the games we've played so far which is 7 games up to Norfolk St. The last five minutes we've been close then were outscored when it mattered.

Ill St tied 50-50 lost 68-63 outscored by IllSt 18-13(-5)
Guilford up 67-61 won 77-68 we outscored Guilford 10-7(+3)
Pitt down 55-50 lost 59-51 outscored by Pitt 4-1(-3)
Coastal up 58-46 won 65-53 tied 7-7 over last five minutes(0)
DelSt up 63-58 won 67-63 outscored 5-4 by DelSt(-1)
SoMiss down 63-55 lost 80-66 outscored 17-11 by SoMiss(-6)
Norfolk St tied 58-58 lost 74-69 outscored 16-11 by NS(-5)

Here are the stats during the last 5 minutes by the players who generally take our shots.

Sims
FT - 7-9 78%, 2pt 3-10 30%, 3pt 0-4, 13 rebs, 7 fouls, 4 TO's

Okauru
FT 5-5 100%, 2pt 0-4, 3pt 1-4 25%, 4 rebs, 3 fouls, 3 TO's

Fornes
FT 0-0, 2pt 0-3, 3pt 2-9 22%, 3 reb, 2 fouls 1 TO

Phillips
FT 4-4, 2pt 0-1, 3pt 0-0, 3 reb, 2 fouls, 0 TO

White

FT 4-7 57%, 2pt 2-6 33%, 3 pt 0-3, 10 reb, 3 fouls, 0 TO

Baker
FT 1-4 25%, 2pt 4-6 67%, 3pt 1-2 50%, 5 reb, 2 fouls, 1 TO

Harvey
FT 0-0, 2pt, 0-1, 3pt 2-3 67%, 1 reb, 1 foul, 0 TO

If you look at the numbers a few things are obvious.

1. Fornes needs to be on the bench
2. Phillips has only taken a total of ONE shot in 35 minutes of play during crunch time. That has got to change.
3. Not much to go on since he hasn't played much, but Harvey is 2-3 from three when it matters.
4. Sims is money from the FT line, but he is 3-14 from the field during crunch time. Cost benefit says he is costing more in missed shots than we gain in FT's. However, he has been stellar on the boards. Sounds odd, but he might be better posting up and trying to draw fouls in the paint rather than shooting 3's and jumpers
5. Baker is bringing the typical big man problem at the end of games. Consistent scoring and rebounding but horrendous from the line.
6. Okauru is much like Sims, money at the FT line but 1-8 from the field.

Here's what might be a solution at the end of games.

Thomas, Phillips, Harvey, Sims, White/Baker

We have got to get Phillips involved in scoring instead of passing at the end of games and really the entire game. He's a good finisher in the paint, getting better from three and good at the FT line. Let Thomas handle the ball, get to the paint and distribute. Harvey can score from all over, and let Sims and White/Baker grab rebounds and try to get some putbacks off offensive rebounds or maybe draw fouls to get to the FT line.

What we are doing isn't working, and we need to shake things up. I really liked Phillips and Thomas together, and adding Harvey into that mix in the 1-3 spots gives us some potent offense from our guards. Thomas is an assist machine and we need that badly. He has 8 assists in only 42 minutes of PT while Phillips has 14 assists in 172 minutes and Okauru 22 assists in 200 minutes. That may explain why Siddle tried Sims at PG but that isn't the solution.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2021 02:04 PM by 82hawk.)
12-04-2021 01:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Crunch time - The last five minutes
Good post. Yep, Thomas assist/ minutes played will be higher because he is an excellent passer. I like him.

Sims did a good job at getting people good looks the other night and had a good passing night for the most part. He put the ball right into the shot pocket via bullets on a couple of occasions and did enough to really aid the shooter by drawing the defense. There’s an art to that.

Yep, it would be good to get Shy rolling off the ball. We are hurting at the one of the wings offensive wise and he may lack size but is very athletic. His 3 is better this year from what I can see and really elevates on his jumper so it is easier to time up his release.
12-04-2021 03:04 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

If you watched the JMU/UVA game last night you saw what it looks like to have guys coming through in crunch time. JMU had guys who could get their own shot at the end and they made those shots time and time again to seal the win. That's what we are missing.

Also, the announcers mentioned that Byington ran the pick and roll to the tune of 12th in the nation at Georgia Southern. It's such a simple play, and it allows space in the paint to get to the basket on the move. It was the bread and butter move for Cacok and still is in the pros. I have no idea why we don't utilize it far more.
12-08-2021 07:12 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-08-2021 07:12 AM)82hawk Wrote:  If you watched the JMU/UVA game last night you saw what it looks like to have guys coming through in crunch time. JMU had guys who could get their own shot at the end and they made those shots time and time again to seal the win. That's what we are missing.

Also, the announcers mentioned that Byington ran the pick and roll to the tune of 12th in the nation at Georgia Southern. It's such a simple play, and it allows space in the paint to get to the basket on the move. It was the bread and butter move for Cacok and still is in the pros. I have no idea why we don't utilize it far more.
Still pissed off he didn't even get a sniff here with his UNCW ties.
12-08-2021 09:04 AM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

Sniffing was not the problem. We weren't in position to afford his buy-out.
12-08-2021 10:10 AM
Advertisement

ScribeHawk Offline
Water Engineer

(12-08-2021 07:12 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Also, the announcers mentioned that Byington ran the pick and roll to the tune of 12th in the nation at Georgia Southern. It's such a simple play, and it allows space in the paint to get to the basket on the move. It was the bread and butter move for Cacok and still is in the pros. I have no idea why we don't utilize it far more.

We're running it some, but according to ShotQuality, we're not very efficient in the P&R right now. Makes sense, because our primary big man options have had some issues with catching passes around the basket.

Per SQ, we've been pretty successful with JB as the roll man (three times) and Sims on the pick-and-pop for three (twice). Beyond those, the P&R has been a little iffy.

I do think that we have the opportunity to get better in the P&R with Jamarii Thomas on the floor. He has the vision + passing ability to put guys in position to score.
12-08-2021 10:41 AM
ScribeHawk Offline
Water Engineer

Here are all of the pick & roll looks we've gotten this season. This is a pretty good explanation for our offensive struggles.
12-08-2021 10:50 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(12-08-2021 10:41 AM)ScribeHawk Wrote:  
(12-08-2021 07:12 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Also, the announcers mentioned that Byington ran the pick and roll to the tune of 12th in the nation at Georgia Southern. It's such a simple play, and it allows space in the paint to get to the basket on the move. It was the bread and butter move for Cacok and still is in the pros. I have no idea why we don't utilize it far more.

We're running it some, but according to ShotQuality, we're not very efficient in the P&R right now. Makes sense, because our primary big man options have had some issues with catching passes around the basket.

Per SQ, we've been pretty successful with JB as the roll man (three times) and Sims on the pick-and-pop for three (twice). Beyond those, the P&R has been a little iffy.

I do think that we have the opportunity to get better in the P&R with Jamarii Thomas on the floor. He has the vision + passing ability to put guys in position to score.

Pick and roll doesn't have to be just big men. Sims would be a great guy to set the pick and then roll to the basket. White and Harvey would be good as well.
12-08-2021 11:09 AM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
(12-08-2021 11:09 AM)82hawk Wrote:  
(12-08-2021 10:41 AM)ScribeHawk Wrote:  

Pick and roll doesn't have to be just big men. Sims would be a great guy to set the pick and then roll to the basket. White and Harvey would be good as well.

Exactly correct but it does make it easier if you have big body setting picks .
12-08-2021 12:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.