Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Charge Your Guests For Thanksgiving
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Charge Your Guests For Thanksgiving
Growing up, we had a fairly large family in our immediate area, and we would have probably 25 or so for Thanksgiving.

My brother once asked my mother, "Why do we always have everybody here for Thanksgiving?"

She replied, "Do you like leftover turkey?" "No."

"Does your brother like leftover turkey?" "No."

"Does your father like leftover turkey?" "No."

"Well, I don't like leftover turkey either."

Christmas was usually smaller and more intimate, just the immediate family, and we usually had ham or roast beef or something other than turkey.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2021 11:21 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
11-25-2021 11:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlueDragon Away
Heisman

I Root For: TSU
(11-25-2021 11:05 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  Do large families not split up the cooking and cost any more or is that just something us poor folks grew up doing? In my family up until maybe 15 years ago when it got kind of small and everyone lives too far apart..

Well the women folks all called each other or got together and said..."I'm bring this, you make your special, so and so, and sister, you make the best so and so you bring that". Other words what you are best at, you make and bring. Or better yet everyone is over to grandma's house a full day before Thanksgiving putting together what they make best and cooking all night...

or got too drunk and then grandma moved in to do the real cooking, homemade biscuits, pies and cakes from scratch and the best damn turkey, cornbread dressing and dumplings known to man. I really miss those days when there were 30 to 40 people and most of the family getting together in a house that was too small for 10 much less 30+

Well other than the smoke, drunks, and fight(s) later that thanksgiving night

Are you sure you didn’t grow up in East Texas? You just described my childhood Thanksgiving to a T less the drinking but fighting was always in vogue. I miss the food but my waistline says thanks. Homemade cornbread dressing is the bomb. I miss the buttermilk biscuits fresh sausage and sawmill gravy the most. It was a mainstay growing up. No one knows how to make any of that anymore which also is a good thing. Pork is no longer salt cured in the grocery store so cooking with salt pork is mostly a thing of the past as well.
11-25-2021 11:19 AM
BlueDragon Away
Heisman

I Root For: TSU
Man, do I wish these snobs talking this trash would get stuck in a place like Opelousas or Bunkie Louisiana for Thanksgiving. I could see it now. Your starter would be a bowl of Gumbo while you chatted outdoors. Coonazzes are fond of adding Nutra rat to the gumbo without telling anyone. If you inquire they tell you it’s rabbit or squirrel. You won’t have to test for covid to come inside because Thanksgiving is going to be outside on picnic tables or if bad weather under a lean to carport. Menu will be potato salad because it goes with anything in South Louisiana. Also jambalaya homemade and deep fried Turkey spiced so hot with cayenne pepper your tongue and lips will be burning for a day. These snobs might finally get some real culture in their make believe world. I always wondered how Texas and Louisiana were neighbors when they are so culturally different. It’s like going to another country. But I do have a good time there and the oyster cornbread seafood dressing was out of this world delicious.
11-25-2021 11:33 AM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
The View says Americans should be grateful for Joe Biden this Thanksgiving

Quote:On Wednesday's episode of The View, the hosts of the liberal daytime talk show pushed for Americans to be grateful for President Joe Biden this Thanksgiving, listing the "accomplishments" of his first months while in the Oval Office.

"Well, I'm hoping people are hearing the message loud and clear because he's only been in for nine months," said The View co-host Whoopi Goldberg.

Goldberg's colleague Joy Behar then went on to list all the "accomplishments" that have occurred under the Biden administration. "He signed a $1 trillion infrastructure bill, bipartisan bill, that's going to fix the bridges and the tunnels and all the things that are falling apart. Trump couldn't do it," she said.

"He got a 1.9 trillion COVID relief plan passed in March," Behar continued. "But Trump made COVID so much worse," she added,.

Goldberg then jokingly bashed Behar for bringing up Trump, to which Behar said she had to to "compare and contrast" the two presidents.

"It was a little messy, but he ended the war, a 20-year war in Afghanistan. Thank you very much," Behar said of America's withdrawal from Kabul.

"This is one I didn't even know: he canceled student loan debt from more than 300,000 Americans with disability," said Behar, as the audience applauded.

"These poor kids who are at the border, that was separated in the last administration, are now — he made sure that he reunited them with their parents in the United States or their country of origin," Behar continued. "I mean, to me, it's like one of the worst things you can do.

Behar noted that Biden has brought the US back into the Paris Climate accord, telling the president, "thank you," and noting, "we're all in this together."

"The unemployment is down, much down," she said. "And and you can't blame the guy for the pandemic. If you don't wear a mask and then I blame you. Not him."

Despite the fact that unemployment is down, inflation has soared to record highs under the Biden administration. In October, the Consumer Price Index, which track the prices Americans pay for everyday goods and services rose 0.9 percent.

That number has gone up 6.2 percent since last October, marking a 12-month increase not seen in the United States since November of 1990.

"So basically, he's been doing what his job is. Remember when presidents did presidential stuff?" Goldberg responded. "But, you know, you don't have to like his politics, but you can't beat the fact that he's working for America," she added.

11-25-2021 12:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.