Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Other games of interest MBB 21-22
Bookmark and Share
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(02-13-2022 09:14 AM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  The refs allowed Towson to foul and foul and foul and foul and foul against Elon yesterday. It was unreal. Duke would have lost yesterday there. If that is allowed, it would be difficult but we are at home with a little better ball security.

All of my closest sports friends and basketball buddies will tell you that at ANY level of play, I don’t disrespect or blame officiating for losses or bad play. I was raised by a father who coached me in multiple sports, and was an official in multiple sports as well. I like to brag on his accomplishments a bit. As a baseball umpire, he started when I was in little league and became so good at it that he umpired in several Babe Ruth league World Series at the 16-18 year old level. He was also offered to be a Minor League baseball umpire but turned it down because he didn’t justify being away from the family so much with young kids in the house (I’m the oldest of three).

All that to say, I was raised to respect officials. Doesn’t mean I didn’t lose my cool on them from time to time, but I knew better.

However, the disparity in officiating quality we have seen in the CAA so far this year is something I’ve never seen. Several games across the conference where the officials blow a whistle on both teams for the slightest of contact, and other games where teams are allowed to hack each other until there’s blood. Slight exaggeration, but the point is made. We all know I can’t stand the CAA, but this is something the leadership needs to address. There has to be an officiating middle ground these folks can get to. The game that sticks out the most is our Hofstra game at home when a fight broke out on the court, in all likelihood brought on by frustration stemming from all of the foul calls. That was horrid.

Hopefully we better officiating the rest of the way and at the tournament. Not just for us, but the whole conference. All of the teams deserve the best, and we have not been seeing that this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
02-13-2022 09:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Other games of interest MBB 21-22
On Saturday's we get bottom of the barrel officials because everyone plays on Saturdays and the CAA gets the leftovers

On Thursdays and Mondays we tend to get better refs because the schedule is less crowded
02-13-2022 09:47 AM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

Yep, need consistency. It was so bad yesterday at that game. Tiger players were allowed to block a driver of the ball hard with a body check (obviously a blocking foul) that effectively stopped all drives not to mention blowing up ball screens by hedging so hard people were falling down. And ,big men reaching too during that action without a foul called. Terrible.

Elon had 23 points with 10 minutes to play. That is exactly why.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2022 10:10 AM by billthebighawksfan.)
02-13-2022 10:08 AM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
Elon averages 7.5 fewer free throws made than their opponents. Out of the 350 teams the NCAA lists (excluding 8 teams transitioning to Division I), they are tied for the tenth most fouls committed per game. Hofstra is fourth with a .798 free throw percentage, so fouling Hofstra is a bad idea. Hofstra has three of five games against Elon and Charleston, who is tied for the fifth most fouls committed per game.
02-13-2022 06:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
B_Hawk06 Offline

(02-13-2022 06:42 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  Elon averages 7.5 fewer free throws made than their opponents. Out of the 350 teams the NCAA lists (excluding 8 teams transitioning to Division I), they are tied for the tenth most fouls committed per game. Hofstra is fourth with a .798 free throw percentage, so fouling Hofstra is a bad idea. Hofstra has three of five games against Elon and Charleston, who is tied for the fifth most fouls committed per game.

Yeah. Hofstra has the easiest remaining schedule. Followed by Towson. UNCW has a bit of a rough go of it after The WM game at home on Monday.

02-13-2022 07:06 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
(02-13-2022 07:06 PM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  
(02-13-2022 06:42 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  Elon averages 7.5 fewer free throws made than their opponents. Out of the 350 teams the NCAA lists (excluding 8 teams transitioning to Division I), they are tied for the tenth most fouls committed per game. Hofstra is fourth with a .798 free throw percentage, so fouling Hofstra is a bad idea. Hofstra has three of five games against Elon and Charleston, who is tied for the fifth most fouls committed per game.

Yeah. Hofstra has the easiest remaining schedule. Followed by Towson. UNCW has a bit of a rough go of it after The WM game at home on Monday.

Bottom line. If we win the next two games at home, it doesn't matter what anyone else does.
02-14-2022 07:32 AM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(02-14-2022 07:32 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Bottom line. If we win the next two games at home, it doesn't matter what anyone else does.

Pretty amazing to be down to the last few games and be in control of our own destiny. The Seahawks have to win the regular season championship, but the don't need anyone else to lose in order to do it.

Let's win today and keep the nation's 28th longest home winning streak intact!
02-14-2022 08:14 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-14-2022 08:14 AM)70shawk Wrote:  
(02-14-2022 07:32 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Bottom line. If we win the next two games at home, it doesn't matter what anyone else does.

Let's win today and keep the nation's 28th longest home winning streak intact!
It's likely to climb to higher than 28 04-cheers
02-14-2022 08:22 AM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(02-13-2022 09:24 AM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  
(02-13-2022 09:14 AM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  The refs allowed Towson to foul and foul and foul and foul and foul against Elon yesterday. It was unreal. Duke would have lost yesterday there. If that is allowed, it would be difficult but we are at home with a little better ball security.

All of my closest sports friends and basketball buddies will tell you that at ANY level of play, I don’t disrespect or blame officiating for losses or bad play. I was raised by a father who coached me in multiple sports, and was an official in multiple sports as well. I like to brag on his accomplishments a bit. As a baseball umpire, he started when I was in little league and became so good at it that he umpired in several Babe Ruth league World Series at the 16-18 year old level. He was also offered to be a Minor League baseball umpire but turned it down because he didn’t justify being away from the family so much with young kids in the house (I’m the oldest of three).

All that to say, I was raised to respect officials. Doesn’t mean I didn’t lose my cool on them from time to time, but I knew better.

However, the disparity in officiating quality we have seen in the CAA so far this year is something I’ve never seen. Several games across the conference where the officials blow a whistle on both teams for the slightest of contact, and other games where teams are allowed to hack each other until there’s blood. Slight exaggeration, but the point is made. We all know I can’t stand the CAA, but this is something the leadership needs to address. There has to be an officiating middle ground these folks can get to. The game that sticks out the most is our Hofstra game at home when a fight broke out on the court, in all likelihood brought on by frustration stemming from all of the foul calls. That was horrid.

Hopefully we better officiating the rest of the way and at the tournament. Not just for us, but the whole conference. All of the teams deserve the best, and we have not been seeing that this year.

One would think that "JoeyD" would know that Thursday's nationally televised game for first place calls for top-rate officiating , and the league office takes affirmative steps to make sure that is the case.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2022 08:34 AM by 70shawk.)
02-14-2022 08:34 AM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

Hopefully they will keep it fair for both teams. That’s all you want.
02-14-2022 11:23 AM
UNCWin Offline
Bench Warmer

I don’t know if I should be concerned about possibly playing Elon anymore in the tournament considering they’re getting their you know what handed to them for the second straight game by a top 3 team
02-15-2022 08:50 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-15-2022 08:50 PM)UNCWin Wrote:  I don’t know if I should be concerned about possibly playing Elon anymore in the tournament considering they’re getting their you know what handed to them for the second straight game by a top 3 team

Yep and it's not getting much easier with Delaware making a visit on Thursday night
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2022 08:56 PM by solohawks.)
02-15-2022 08:56 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
Hofstra won 97-64. Omar Silverio made 6 threes without missing in his first 10 minutes, and went on to break the CAA record with 11 made. Aaron Estrada had 14 points and 7 assists. Even with three healthy forwards, Hofstra never uses more than one at a time, and they combined for 16 points and 11 rebounds. Hunter McIntosh led Elon with 19. Elon's Andrew Junkin led all players with 8 rebounds while playing the sixteenth most minutes.
02-15-2022 09:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
triangleseahawk919 Offline
Bench Warmer

The way Hofstra is playing right now, makes Thursday night all the more important. Take care of business over the next two home games, effectively clinch the regular season title, and let Towson/Hofstra beat the hell outta each other in the semifinals in DC.
02-16-2022 08:31 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-16-2022 08:31 AM)triangleseahawk919 Wrote:  The way Hofstra is playing right now, makes Thursday night all the more important. Take care of business over the next two home games, effectively clinch the regular season title, and let Towson/Hofstra beat the hell outta each other in the semifinals in DC.

Agree! They have so many guys that can beat you. They just pounded a team by 30 when Estrada had 14 points. Crazy!
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2022 10:25 AM by Seahawkhoops.)
02-16-2022 08:41 AM
triangleseahawk919 Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-16-2022 08:41 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(02-16-2022 08:31 AM)triangleseahawk919 Wrote:  The way Hofstra is playing right now, makes Thursday night all the more important. Take care of business over the next two home games, effectively clinch the regular season title, and let Towson/Hofstra beat the hell outta each other in the semifinals in DC.

Agree! They have so many guys that can beat you. They just pounded a team by 30 when Astrada had 14 points. Crazy!

Only saving grace is I can't imagine they can keep this pace up. They've got an awfully easy schedule the rest of the way. Will be interesting to see if they stumble or head to DC on fire.
02-16-2022 08:58 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(02-16-2022 08:58 AM)triangleseahawk919 Wrote:  
(02-16-2022 08:41 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

Agree! They have so many guys that can beat you. They just pounded a team by 30 when Astrada had 14 points. Crazy!

Only saving grace is I can't imagine they can keep this pace up. They've got an awfully easy schedule the rest of the way. Will be interesting to see if they stumble or head to DC on fire.

You said it in your 2nd sentence. They have an easy schedule the rest of the way, so in all likelihood, they will continue to dominate going into the CAAT. I highlighted the schedule differences in an earlier post. Hofstra definitely has the most favorable schedule remaining of the top 3, followed by Towson, then us.
02-16-2022 10:26 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
It's all about matchups. Elon and JMU aren't playing well, but they match up well with UNCW. Hofstra is playing really good, but UNCW matches up well with them. I'm concerned about Towson tonight. We beat them in OT, but they have the type of roster we struggle with. If they adopt the strategy Elon used to beat us, we may come away with the L.

But this game is it. All the games have been important to get us in this position to win the conference, but this is the game where we can control our destiny and clinch it tonight. If we lose to Towson, we have to hope for other teams to lose.

Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted in one moment
Would you capture it, or just let it slip? Yo"
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2022 07:31 AM by 82hawk.)
02-17-2022 07:04 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-17-2022 07:04 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity
Easy there slim shady 02-13-banana
02-17-2022 08:12 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-17-2022 08:12 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(02-17-2022 07:04 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity
Easy there slim shady 02-13-banana

He must still be thinking about that SB halftime show.

[Image: Endless+Super+Bowl+memes+are+still+pumpi...rmat=1000w]
02-17-2022 09:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.