VT HC Fuente out, JC Price named interim
Bookmark and Share
JMaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
RE: VT HC Fuente out, JC Price named interim
(11-17-2021 11:50 AM)H.U.S.T.L.E. Wrote:  
(11-17-2021 10:43 AM)JMaddy Wrote:  
(11-17-2021 09:21 AM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  I don't get the VT hate - and I think it almost always makes us look like little brothers when we try to make them look smaller.

Sure I love to point out we beat them and they won't play us, but you gotta respect their program. They're further along the line to what we aspire to be than we are (although I think we have aspirations beyond what they currently are) and at least they're not pretentious a**holes like those people in Cville. We used to go down to bburg and party at gamedays when JMU was away and had a great time.

Also, every fanbase is delusional - that's part of being a fan.

Tech is a safety school that thinks they're a titan of industry when reality is they are just Mason in the middle of nowhere. The bad thing is they have a very tight alumni community so those sh*theads continue to get jobs in the DMV. They're in competition with JMU post degree moreso than as a school, so any failure by VT (whether it is just a pride thing so they don't thump their chest so much or a real downgrade in standing) is good for the JMU Nation.

I've read this post half a dozen times, and I still can't figure out what the bolded part is supposed to mean.

Must be the VT education 03-wink
11-17-2021 12:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dukes94 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
My seeming praise of VT aside, this is how I described Tech on a friend’s Facebook page this summer. She’s a disgruntled faculty member there.

“My impression, based entirely on growing up in Blacksburg and having a mom, stepfather, and grandfather who all worked there for decades, is that Va. Tech is just a top-down, 1950s-style manufacturing company from Ohio that makes something banal like manila envelopes and gives you a modest watch when you retire.

I don’t know how you do it. I don’t know how any of you do it.

I’d rather work at a school with 500 students and be told there’s no money to pursue my dreams, than for it to be inferred that the gravity of the bureaucracy is so crushing that any original thought has no chance of rising to the surface. At least there’s honesty and hope in the words, “We’re broke.” There’s no hope in, “We’re soulless.”
11-17-2021 01:15 PM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(11-17-2021 12:03 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  I've always hated VT waaaaaaaayyyyy more than UVA. VT gets all the rednecks in the state cheering for them and they're full of themselves for absolutely no reason. Sure UVA is cocky too, but at least they actually have reason to be. Nobody tries to put down JMU as little brothers that don't matter and don't play real D1 more than VT does.

I've experienced many a UVA alums and fans do this as well. UVA alums seem to generally be under the impression that all JMU students wanted to go to their douchy school but just couldn't get it.
11-17-2021 01:20 PM
DirtyDukes Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud!
(11-17-2021 12:03 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  I've always hated VT waaaaaaaayyyyy more than UVA. VT gets all the rednecks in the state cheering for them and they're full of themselves for absolutely no reason. Sure UVA is cocky too, but at least they actually have reason to be. Nobody tries to put down JMU as little brothers that don't matter and don't play real D1 more than VT does.

In what way does UVA have any reason to be cocky? Again, sounds like little brother syndrome. I would much rather be a raucous fun loving party school like VT than a wine and cheese tie wearing one like UVA.

KITS, have you ever been to tech? I feel like it does not jive with your opinion in my mind. And I would argue until our recent success VT had a reason to be full of themselves as the best football team in the state...
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2021 01:27 PM by DirtyDukes.)
11-17-2021 01:26 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

(11-17-2021 01:26 PM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  

In what way does UVA have any reason to be cocky? Again, sounds like little brother syndrome. I would much rather be a raucous fun loving party school like VT than a wine and cheese tie wearing one like UVA.

KITS, have you ever been to tech? I feel like it does not jive with your opinion in my mind. And I would argue until our recent success VT had a reason to be full of themselves as the best football team in the state...

Their academics and actual national success and championships in several sports including MBB.

But yeah, I've mostly just been to VT a day at a time for games. I'd say UVA also is much friendlier towards visiting fans in my experience, but yeah to be fair I haven't really spent much time at VT other than that. My impression of VT is more from just living in Virginia my whole life, the people I've known from here who are fans and/or went to VT, and a few game day experiences while my impression of UVA is more from tons of time in Charlottesville with tons of friends there.

So definitely not apples to apples and could be some amount of the way Cowboys fans around here are the obnoxious people in rival territory completely different from Cowboys fans in Texas for example. But from my experience I definitely hate VT way more than UVA and in a very different way. I also will take UVA wine and cheese over VT rednecks all day.

I also don't think a football school P5 being the best in a state like Virginia, Maryland, or North Carolina is anything to be full of yourselves about without any real national success. They're the only P5 in Virginia that's a football school, they should be dominant.
11-17-2021 02:11 PM
Dukes94 Offline
All American

On average, UVa is the "best" school in the state. The have outstanding academics, are considered one of the very best schools in America by many publications, and have a national-caliber athletics program with many national championships. That said, everybody at my high school who went to UVa was a prick. It's not for everyone.

Today, I have a little more perspective and know a lot of people who went to UVa who aren't pricks. They weren't wealthy, or from a private school, or legacies, or anything. They went to UVa because they thought they'd get a good education, and even realize and freely admit there are a lot of douchebags in Hooville.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2021 03:56 PM by Dukes94.)
11-17-2021 03:55 PM
H.U.S.T.L.E. Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: VT / JMU
(11-17-2021 12:39 PM)JMaddy Wrote:  
(11-17-2021 11:50 AM)H.U.S.T.L.E. Wrote:  
(11-17-2021 10:43 AM)JMaddy Wrote:  
(11-17-2021 09:21 AM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  I don't get the VT hate - and I think it almost always makes us look like little brothers when we try to make them look smaller.

Sure I love to point out we beat them and they won't play us, but you gotta respect their program. They're further along the line to what we aspire to be than we are (although I think we have aspirations beyond what they currently are) and at least they're not pretentious a**holes like those people in Cville. We used to go down to bburg and party at gamedays when JMU was away and had a great time.

Also, every fanbase is delusional - that's part of being a fan.

Tech is a safety school that thinks they're a titan of industry when reality is they are just Mason in the middle of nowhere. The bad thing is they have a very tight alumni community so those sh*theads continue to get jobs in the DMV. They're in competition with JMU post degree moreso than as a school, so any failure by VT (whether it is just a pride thing so they don't thump their chest so much or a real downgrade in standing) is good for the JMU Nation.

I've read this post half a dozen times, and I still can't figure out what the bolded part is supposed to mean.

Must be the VT education 03-wink

Maybe!

I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that I don't tend to run into a ton of JMU grads in my field. I'm a landscape architect who works for a civil engineering, surveying, planning firm and I'm based in Richmond, so all of the networking events I attend for work purposes tend to be dominated by Hokies.

Engineering, architecture & contracting firms are filled to the brim with VT grads in the state because VT has excellent programs in those chosen fields. Even when you run into bankers or brokers, those all tend to be folks who went to places like UR, Hampden Sydney, or similar ilk. Some of the folks who work in marketing/BD departments for these firms are JMU grads, but they tend to be the minority.

FWIW, I clearly have a lot of love for JMU, and not just because my wife went there! I haven't been thrilled with some of VT's decisions under President Sands, not to mention how Fuente's tenure has soured me on VT football - as a result, our household gives more to JMU than VT presently.
11-17-2021 04:08 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-v...ve-clawson

Clawson seems to be lead candidate. Would like to see him get the job over others. Doing a good job at Wake.
11-18-2021 11:38 AM
DukeQuin Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU, UCLA, Tx Tech
(11-17-2021 03:55 PM)Dukes94 Wrote:  On average, UVa is the "best" school in the state. The have outstanding academics, are considered one of the very best schools in America by many publications, and have a national-caliber athletics program with many national championships. That said, everybody at my high school who went to UVa was a prick. It's not for everyone.

Today, I have a little more perspective and know a lot of people who went to UVa who aren't pricks. They weren't wealthy, or from a private school, or legacies, or anything. They went to UVa because they thought they'd get a good education, and even realize and freely admit there are a lot of douchebags in Hooville.

This was my experience with UVa as well. I probably didn't have the grades to get in, but the kids from my high school who went there were mostly pretentious a-holes so I never seriously considered applying.

Then I went to JMU and graduated and met UVa students and grads along the way, and they were generally nice, fun people who'd gone because it was a good school. I think that's true, more or less, across the board in VA- no individual school has a singular "type" of student or graduate, although certainly some schools concentrate on specific areas more than others.
11-18-2021 11:50 AM
DooX Offline
1st String

Clawson would be a good hire for VT. Maybe not the 'splashiest', but he can build a program and win. Obviously comes with a lot of experience recruiting VA.
11-18-2021 11:56 AM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

He has built Fordham, Richmond, Bowling Green, and Wake Forest into winners. No doubt he could do the same at VT.
11-18-2021 12:45 PM
JMaddy Offline
All American

(11-18-2021 12:45 PM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  He has built Fordham, Richmond, Bowling Green, and Wake Forest into winners. No doubt he could do the same at VT.

He would be better off waiting to see when Penn St job opens up later this winter.
11-18-2021 01:01 PM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

(11-18-2021 01:01 PM)JMaddy Wrote:  
(11-18-2021 12:45 PM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  He has built Fordham, Richmond, Bowling Green, and Wake Forest into winners. No doubt he could do the same at VT.

He would be better off waiting to see when Penn St job opens up later this winter.

That is true. I think it's probably in his best interest to stay at WF until after the coaching carousel truly opens up. That USC opening will help sort things out a bunch.
11-18-2021 01:07 PM
JMad03 Online
Heisman

(11-18-2021 11:56 AM)DooX Wrote:  Clawson would be a good hire for VT. Maybe not the 'splashiest', but he can build a program and win. Obviously comes with a lot of experience recruiting VA.

I think he would be the best hire for them. May not get a chance due to him not being a splashy hire.
I think if the high level donors get in the way, they could lose out on a good coach.
11-18-2021 01:08 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

Feel bad for Wake if they lose Clawson to in- conference foe VT. But Wake obviously has $$ limitations. Tech was paying Fuente twice as much as what Clawson makes. He probably could keep his job forever at WF if he continued his overall body of work there to date. Tech's gonna demand a lot more. At age 54-is it worth it?
11-18-2021 01:30 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-18-2021 01:08 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  
(11-18-2021 11:56 AM)DooX Wrote:  Clawson would be a good hire for VT. Maybe not the 'splashiest', but he can build a program and win. Obviously comes with a lot of experience recruiting VA.

I think he would be the best hire for them. May not get a chance due to him not being a splashy hire.
I think if the high level donors get in the way, they could lose out on a good coach.

Someone earlier made the "expectations" comparison with ECU. For years, rank and file Pirate Club boosters have said their high rollers have unrealistic expectations along with too much influence and have ruined several coaching hiring decisions (and fires ).

Beamer may not have been Nick Saban, but he is a legend down there in their isolated fiefdom. Tough to follow in those footsteps. Hopefully for Tech, their new hire is because of what Whit concludes is the correct path, rather than the whims of a couple of petulant boosters.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2021 01:41 PM by olddawg.)
11-18-2021 01:41 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(11-17-2021 01:20 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  I've experienced many a UVA alums and fans do this as well. UVA alums seem to generally be under the impression that all JMU students wanted to go to their douchy school but just couldn't get it.
Isn't that where the term JMU (Just Missed Uva) came from? Douchy Waahoos?
11-18-2021 01:58 PM
JMaddy Offline
All American

(11-18-2021 01:58 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
(11-17-2021 01:20 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  I've experienced many a UVA alums and fans do this as well. UVA alums seem to generally be under the impression that all JMU students wanted to go to their douchy school but just couldn't get it.
Isn't that where the term JMU (Just Missed Uva) came from? Douchy Waahoos?

I've heard that dig come from people from VT and other schools as well. Seems to be a state-wide insult toward us. In fact I've probably heard it more from non-UVA people than the fish.
11-18-2021 02:03 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

Q. Why do graduates of UVA display their diplomas on their car’s dashboards?

A. So they can park in handicap spaces.
11-18-2021 02:06 PM
PolishFalconDuke Offline
2nd String

(11-18-2021 01:01 PM)JMaddy Wrote:  

Don't get my hopes up (lifelong Penn St. fan).
11-18-2021 02:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.