Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MBB v. Southern (Nov. 15)
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: MBB v. Southern (Nov. 15)
UVM is the Catamounts.

UVM also has the lowest % in-state undergraduate enrollment of any state flagship in the US, for a fun fact.
11-18-2021 09:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
That said, for all the talk about a potential matchup vs. UVM in the 2nd game, Oakland has also played good basketball early this season. Wins over Toledo and Oklahoma State and a close loss to WVU.

Either way, we'll definitely know a lot more about our team after next week. Hopefully, Olivari will be back.
11-18-2021 10:01 PM
Kayjay Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Owls
(11-17-2021 12:58 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  Looking at the team stats, Rice dominated this game. However, the team stats don’t reflect the roller coaster thrill ride it took to get to this win. The lack of in game consistency is certainly something for the team to improve. Would love to hear thoughts from those more knowledgeable on why the in game ups and downs.

I may not be "more knowledgeable" but here are my thoughts.....

Turnovers were really a challenge for Rice against Southern. The good news is only 1 or 2 were unforced. The bad news is that most of them happened when they were pressed defensively. Other turnovers occurred when the Owls tried to force the ball inside when it was not open. Poteat had a bit of trouble (again) with the double team down low and the taped finger on Mullins dominant hand made it difficult for him to handle the ball when covered aggressively.

Evee's early foul trouble really hurt the offense as well as he did not play for at least 10 minutes of the first half. He is clearly the best shooter on the team and losing that option really hurt the 3 point %. I watched his warm up shooting before the 2nd half and he was deadly behind the arc, hitting 9 of 10 in a row at one point, all of the shots hit nothing but net. It was quite a clinic. He played almost all of the 2nd half and it made a huge difference. Sheffield would not have launched as many 3 point attempts (1 for 7?) if Evee had been in the lineup during the final 10 minutes of the first half.

I hope those observations are helpful in explaining why the team struggled at times in a game they seemed to dominate statistically.
11-18-2021 10:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.